[comp.sys.amiga] VoRecOne - any information?

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (02/03/90)

I don't have all the info yet, but I'm learning how to use it right now...my
boss wants me to have a *DYNOMITE* demonstration worked out in the next week
or so.  It seems to be pretty powerful, but I've already noticed a few
drawbacks...the first of which is that the ON/OFF button on the supplied mic
doesn't work, you have to unplug it if you wish to talk with out VoRec going
berserk and doing stuff like opening CLIs, etc.  It also helps if you are in a
very quiet room...while the mic isn't that sensitive, it will pickup outside
noises, and try to interpret them as best it can as voice commands.

I'll post further on VoRec as I learn more about it in the next couple of
days...while it's not HAL, they're getting pretty close!

Sean Cunningham

jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) (02/04/90)

In article <1348@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
> <<<<stuff deleted>>>>
>berserk and doing stuff like opening CLIs, etc.  It also helps if you are in a
>very quiet room...while the mic isn't that sensitive, it will pickup outside
>noises, and try to interpret them as best it can as voice commands.

Yeah, I have played with it a bit and that is my biggest complaint. They
should be able to fix it with a simple software mod, but it tries to
interpret ANY sound loud enough to detect as a command. Pretty annoying
when a <burp> sounds like 'delete dh0:#? all'. :) They need to have some
'closeness of fit' parameter so that it will ignore you or complain if
what it heard isn't sufficiently close to any word in its lookup list.

On the good side, it does has some good features (which I haven't seen
anyone else mention) so
  1 - Once you get a good set of words that you pronounce consistently
      and the vorec1 recognizes consistently you can use them in many
      different scripts.
  2 - It can simulate Intuition events, so you can control virtually
      any multitasking program (menu selection, mouse movement, gadget
      selection, etc.).
  3 - has an arexx port
  4 - recognition language is heirarchical -- so the same word can have
      different effect at different levels of the program. i.e. 'up'
      may mean move the mouse pointer up in dpaint, but may mean move
      the red slider up in the color requestor if you have previously
      said 'palette' then 'red', for example.

In my opinion, if they can fix the 'closeness of fit', it will be real
useful. I'm kinda left wondering why they didn't use standard sound digitizing
hardware for this -- seems kinda redundant to have two mikes on my Amiga.
BTW - hardware attaches to joystick port, so now I need a 3-way joystick
switch (vorec, xspecs, joystick). I also hope that x-specs software output
on that port won't damage the vorec hardware!

Sorry if this is a redundant posting, but I didn't see anybody else giving
useful info.

| James Gary, BA,MS,SWM | U. of Kentucky | jgary@ms.uky.edu |

Dalamar@cup.portal.com (E H Mahler) (02/05/90)

  My deep thanks for all the responses I have gotten, both public and
private, regarding VoRecOne. I think I'll probably order mine this week.
If I discover anything mindblowing I'll let you guys know.

                                                   Thanks Again!
                                                    E. Mahler

P.S. Sounds like I'm not going to be jamming the Sony CD / AV at close range
     as much anymore. Oh well... :)

Portal: dalamar
UUCP/UseNet: ..sun!portal!cup.portal.com!dalamar
Call Dalamar's Tower BBS - 24 Hours - 300-19200 HST - (804)-385-4986 - AMIGA