[comp.sys.amiga] Mr. Knapp the Worldwide Amiga Authority

Jack.Thompson@uscacm.UUCP (Jack Thompson) (02/02/90)

 > From: kutem@cell.mot.COM (Jon Kutemeier)
 > Date: 1 Feb 90 02:17:19 GMT
 > Arlington Heights, IL 60004
 >
 > Bravo! I've been getting tired of Mr. Knapp's "I'm smarter
 > and better than you,
 > so your opinion doesn't count" attitude.  There have been
 > some valid points
 > raised by Mr. Knapp, but some of his comments are pointless
 > drivel.

    "Pointless" and "drivel" describe Mr. Knapp's messages perfectly.

As for any "valid points" he may have presented long, long
ago, they have been overshadowed by his constant anal-retentive attacks on
the Amiga and its users. The only "point" I've seen from him lately
is undoubtedly related to the top of his head.

    Now, before someone flames me for flaming Wayne, let me say that

I won't do it again -- I was, in fact, loath to do it in the first
place, but my hopes are (were) by doing so, it may discourage someone
from *CONSTANTLY* posting negative messages. I can take an occasional
pinheaded "VGA is better than Amiga graphics, nyaaah, nyahhh" message,
but a whole MONTH of negative messages on the same subject is simply
too much
  Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson == ...!usceast!uscacm!Jack.Thompson

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (02/03/90)

CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!

VERY well said...though alittle on the flammy side, I loved your message.

Sean Cunningham

--->seanc@pro-party.cts.com

"One flame deserves another in turn"-me

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne C Knapp) (02/05/90)

I tried to reach Jack via email, but his mail is bouncing.  I've taken a lot
of flames without trying to start a flamming contest, however this last is
just too much.  Sorry to the offended, but I did try email first.

In article <247.25C9542B@uscacm.UUCP>, Jack.Thompson@uscacm.UUCP (Jack Thompson) writes:

> As for any "valid points" he may have presented long, long
> ago, they have been overshadowed by his constant anal-retentive attacks on
> the Amiga and its users. The only "point" I've seen from him lately
> is undoubtedly related to the top of his head.

Jack,

Valid Points:

    * High-Res Animation is very limited on the Amiga
      - Unless the animation is very simple there is no realtime playback
      - Good shading is hard to do to because of the color limits.
      - No real improvement in the graphics modes important for animation
        since 1985.
    * Rendering is easy to do on almost any computer, but isn't always
      so cost effective on just Amigas.
    * Other computers via NuVista, Targa, TIGA, even plain old VGA are
      moving up graphics standard on other computers quickly.
    * Companies like Mangi are having a hard time getting information
      from Commodore on how to design thier hardware to work with the
      better Amigas.
    * Due to the current graphics supported on the Amiga, the Amiga is
      restricted to the lower end of the animation market.
    * The foothold the Amiga has in video markets is starting to erode.
      (This is what my customers tell me).  For more information on this
      check the latest issue of VideoMaker and look at all the new products
      out for the PC and MAC in the Desktop Video article.
    * Possible new products like the Black Belt Video box will help in
      the low res. due to greatly improved color but will not help with
      getting the Amiga up to the full ability of broadcast video.  Also
      there will be major software problems.
      - Incapatable with Amiga intuition user interface.
      - Requires new modes to be displayed on a seperate screen
      - Since no one has it yet it will be months before software supports
        its new modes.
    * The current software I'm writing (on an Amiga by the way) won't be
      be able to run to its full potential on current Amiga technology.
      This is a common problem with Amiga rendering software.
    * Things that were be issues in the past like multi-tasking are not
      nearly so much of a issue as there are now.  Nearly every month new
      improvements are forth comming.
    * People like myself that are writing and selling real animation software
      see a much larger and richer market else where as Amiga has been
      pretty much standing still and other computers have been improving.
      This is putting pressure on people to leave the Amiga.  This is also
      made worst since there is so much software for the Amiga in the video,
      animation market.

  *** Commodore has a great chance to correct these problems with the A3000.

Now I think that even you may have to agree that some of the above points
are valid.  All of these points were made by me in postings over the last
two weeks.  Somehow I find it hard to call two weeks or even just a few
days "long, long ago".  I've been programming, selling programs, designing
computer hardware for over 14 years now.  I've seen a lot of computers come
and go, I feel that if there isn't a major improvement in the Amiga soon,
it may be going.  However I've tried to stay with the issues and avoid
personal attacks.
                                      Wayne Knapp

P.S. I believe that VGA was only mentioned in 3 or 4 of the last 20 to 30
articles I posted.  In fact the only PC clone that REALLY impressed me
doesn't even come with standard VGA.

	You mention Targa boards for the IBM. Why not use Targa for
the Amiga? How 'bout an Amiga frame buffer. That does sort of kill
animation, but then so does Targa/VGA on the IBM. Using ImageLink w/
Targa and ScanLab, what better graphics do you want from a Micro? And,
finally, I don't think multitasking is a negligible issue.
	Despite my faith in the Amiga, I have to admit that 32-bit
quickdraw is some feat!
	-- Ethan