[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaLibDisks on tape

In <265@estinc.UUCP>, fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <9578@cbmvax.commodore.com> unland@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Rick Unland - Special Projects Group) writes:
>> I am looking for someone that has the entire Fred Fish collection and also
>> has the ability to put this collection onto tape (A DC 6150 in TAR format).
>
>Better make that two or three 150Mb tapes, given that each disk will probably
>produce about 1Mb of tar archive data (remember archive overhead).
>
>This does remind me though, I may soon be in a position to provide this
>service.  The major lack at this time is an ~400Mb disk to hold copies of
>all of the disks.  I am curious as to what the demand might be.  If large
>enough, I might decide to invest the $2k-3k necessary to acquire the disk.
>
>I would expect that the distribution fees would be in line with what other
>such services (FSF, TeX distributors, GEO data, etc) charge, about $100
>per tape.  Thus the cost of obtaining the entire library in this manner
>would only be about $300, versus the $600 or so to get it on 3.5" Amiga disks.

A while back, Lionel Hummel made an offer to send a 1/2" tape of your
collection, up to #201. All entries are in .zoo format, and the whole shebang
fit onto 2 450 ft. 1/4" cartridge tapes. I don't mind them in this format,
since it makes them a lot more available than not having them at all, and the
convenience of not having to keep 200 floppies around is well worth it.

You might want to consider supplying the collection in .zoo files, to be put
onto tape in TAR format. It will save you on disk space. #1 to #201 contains a
total of about 86 megs in ZOO format. In LHARC format, it would be somewhat less.

-larry

--
  This life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life,
  you would have been told where to go and what to do.

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (02/06/90)

In article <9578@cbmvax.commodore.com> unland@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Rick Unland - Special Projects Group) writes:
> I am looking for someone that has the entire Fred Fish collection and also
> has the ability to put this collection onto tape (A DC 6150 in TAR format).

Better make that two or three 150Mb tapes, given that each disk will probably
produce about 1Mb of tar archive data (remember archive overhead).

This does remind me though, I may soon be in a position to provide this
service.  The major lack at this time is an ~400Mb disk to hold copies of
all of the disks.  I am curious as to what the demand might be.  If large
enough, I might decide to invest the $2k-3k necessary to acquire the disk.

I would expect that the distribution fees would be in line with what other
such services (FSF, TeX distributors, GEO data, etc) charge, about $100
per tape.  Thus the cost of obtaining the entire library in this manner
would only be about $300, versus the $600 or so to get it on 3.5" Amiga disks.

Email me if you would be seriously interested in this service.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf