[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaWorld Video and Animation Issue -- good stuff

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/05/90)

AmigaWorld has recently put out a special Video and Animation issue.
I think they did a very good job.  For anybody who would like a
comprehensive look at the products and support for video on the Amiga,
as well as a primer on video, animation and the Amiga, this issue
seems to be perfect.  It's probably the best issue they've ever
produced.

Here's a list of the table of contents:

	page	title

	6	Chief Concerns (Editor's column)
	8	Power and Price: Amiga vs. Mac and IBM
	10	Glossary of Common Animation and Video Terms
	16	Setting Up Shop: The Amiga-Based Studio
	22	Powerful Persuasion
			using Amigas for presentations
	26	Buyer's Guide to Amiga Animation/Video Products
	42	Cutting the Red Tape
			guide to videotape formats + select buyer's
			guide for VCR's and camcorders
	48	Gang of Four
			reviews/comparisons of DPaint III,
			DigiPaint 3, Photon Paint 2.0 and Deluxe
			PhotoLab
	54	Who's in Sync?
			comparisons of 10 Amiga genlocks, including
			vectorscope and waveform monitor pictures
	62	Say it With Style
			overview of 8 video-titling programs
	68	Play it Together, Sam!
			six programs to sync sound and music with
			video/animation
	76	Something for Nothing
			15 public domain programs for
			graphics/animation/video
	82	How to Make a Fish Sneeze
			12-step DPaint III tutorial
	90	Putting a Shine on "Silver" (by Louis Markoya)
			how to do special effects using Turbo Silver
			and Sculpt-Animate 4D
	96	Fine Art in Motion
			Animation in Photon Paint's HAM Mode, from a
			Disney Studios animator
	100	LIVE! Performance
			Using a LIVE! digitizer with other software
			and hardware for special effects
	106	2-D or not 2-D...A Good Question!
			software to convert 2-D drawings to 3-D
			objects for rendering in 3-D programs
	112	Global Operations
			Image Processing on the Amiga
	116	Put a Trace on It!
			Using a genlock or digitizer to produce
			animation via rotoscoping
	120	Help Frames
			Answers to frequently-asked questions about
			video and animation
	124	Resources and References
			Books, tapes, and on-disk reference materials
	128	Company List
	136	You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
			the future of Amiga Animation and Video

AmigaWorld also has a special offer for a 45-minute video tape
compilation of Amiga-produced animation and video ($19.95), as well as
a 2-disk library set of software, color fonts, animbrushes, vector
objects, etc.  Details for ordering are in the issue, though if others
want that information I'll email or post.

				--M
--
__  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
\/  portuesi@sgi.com	Entry Systems Division -- Engineering

    "Why you?  Because you're Electro-Cop, the best there is."

stefan@hercule.cs.concordia.ca (BUCHHOLZ) (02/06/90)

Amigaworld's animation issue looks like a comic book from the outside.

It is also sexist, second-class crass.

						Stefy LePew

brandonl@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM (Brandon G. Lovested) (02/06/90)

In article <1840@clyde.concordia.ca>, stefan@hercule.cs.concordia.ca (BUCHHOLZ) writes:

> Amigaworld's animation issue looks like a comic book from the outside.

It was intended to.

> It is also sexist, second-class crass.
>
> 						Stefy LePew
Oh, brother...

It was "Jessica Rabbit" - like.

It was a reference to one of the best animation projects ever...

Get it, Stephanie?

=====-----+-----=====-----+-----=====-----+-----=====-----+-----=====
        |	 BRANDON G. LOVESTED
    \   |   /	 Software Entomologist
      \ | /	 Tektronix, Inc.
 --- - (*) - --- brandonl@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM
=====-----+-----=====-----+-----=====-----+-----=====-----+-----=====

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (02/06/90)

In article <1840@clyde.concordia.ca> stefan@hercule.CS.Concordia.CA (BUCHHOLZ) writes:
>Amigaworld's animation issue looks like a comic book from the outside.
>It is also sexist, second-class crass.
>						Stefy LePew
Although my wife pointed out that the woman on the front is Jessica Rabbit
from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, I didn't believe her until seeing the movie
again.  Unfortunately, the colors are all wrong but the shape and the hair
and the eyes and the lips and the dress (need I go on?) are drawn the way
Jessica looks in the film.

Sorry if you considered the cover sexist, but remember "She's not bad, she's
only drawn that way."

--
 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!