[comp.sys.amiga] Transactor for the Amiga

terry@deepthot.UUCP (Terry Cudney) (01/20/88)

I was wondering about Transactor for the Amiga too.

Last week I called them. They said that they've had some delays with
the first issue but that it will be mailing by late January.

I have no affiliation with Transactor, just another one of the anxious
subscribers.

                                   Terry

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------**
**  email: terry@deepthot.UUCP             post:  Terry Cudney               **
**         terry@deepthot.UWO.CDN                 4 - 746 Richmond Street,   **
**         terry@deepthot.UWO.NETNORTH            LONDON, Ontario            **
**                                                Canada  N6A 3H3            **
**---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

wdg@unccvax.UUCP (Doug Gullett) (01/21/88)

In article <991@deepthot.UUCP>, terry@deepthot.UUCP (Terry Cudney) writes:

> I was wondering about Transactor for the Amiga too.
>
> Last week I called them. They said that they've had some delays with
> the first issue but that it will be mailing by late January.
>
> I have no affiliation with Transactor, just another one of the anxious
> subscribers.
>
>                                    Terry

I picked up one of the advanced copies that were at AmiExpo.  The date
on the magazine was APRIL.  Hopefully THAT was the hold up not the real
issue date ;^).  I really like the mag.  Lots of heavy hitters from the
AMIGA community.  Meaty topics as well.  Perry wrote an article that
used a very scientific and systematic approach to setting up the ideal
environment for programming the AMIGA, I highly recommend it ;^).

			Doug Gullett

DISCLAIMER: I disclaim everything!!

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (01/28/88)

Just picked up issue one at the local computer store. Great magazine.
--
Godfrey Lee                                      P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated                              3755 Riverside Dr.

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) (02/02/88)

Just picked up a copy of the Transactor for the Amiga Premier edition.
Thanks to the Authors, publishers and everyone envolved.  It's by far
the best mag for our beloved machine yet, bar none!

Its chock full of technical and informative articals.  No fluff at all.

I know many of the authors are here on the net, and I want to personally
congratulate all of you.  Great effort, everyone.

Can't wait for the next issue.  I ordered a three year subscription
based on this one alone, with disk.   When I see something this good,
I go for it!

Kerry Zimmerman
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!kaz  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170
A difference between an amateur and a professional,
is that a professional has the right tools.

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (02/03/88)

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) wrote:
>I ordered a three year subscription based on this one alone, with disk.

I'm wary of doing that for computer magazines ... I ordered 80-micro
for three years, and was getting them long after I stopped using my
TRS-80 model I (4K Basic Level II don'cha know).  Likewise, I found a
new issue of RUN every month even though I had forgotten the POKE
command to change the background color on the C-64 a long time before.

Then of course, I've had the Amiga for over two years and still use
it.  Hmmm...what's the POKE command to change the background color?  :-)

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I don't know such stuff.  I just do eyes."  -- from 'Blade Runner'

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (02/06/88)

[ "I live on a One-way dead-end street. . ." ]

In article <2599@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:

>Then of course, I've had the Amiga for over two years and still use
>it.  Hmmm...what's the POKE command to change the background color?  :-)

I think it's POKE 53281,X. . . . Wow, now that's Real Programming :->

>..Bob
>--
>Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
>"I don't know such stuff.  I just do eyes."  -- from 'Blade Runner'

--
				   *** mike (Mr. Bug) smithwick ***
"the only thing wrong with reality, it that it takes too much time"

rmariani@watmum.waterloo.edu (Rico Mariani) (05/04/88)

If you read the last "Transactor" (the 8 bit version) you'll already know
that Karl Hildon decided to move on to bigger and better things.  This
has caused a delay in the production of Transactor and TransAmi.  Transactor
Classic has made it out (late) and the word in Toronto is that TransAmi will
also make it out (late).  Now that things are settled in I hope that
future issues will be less sporatic.

	-Rico

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (03/28/89)

Hello.  I just thought I would comment that I find this magazine to be
pretty interesting.  Not yet an Amiga *programmer* (I don't have the
time, knowledge, or money for it), I still enjoy the articles in this
magazine.  I know some of you have articles that have appeared or appear
regularly in there....Larry Phillips, Dan Schein, Matt Dillon....there
are surely more, but anyway the point is --> this is a good magazine for
the programmer as well as the reader who wants more serious, technical
articles and objective opinions.
     Speaking of technical articles, Matt Dillon wrote an excellent
article explaining Dnet and a sliding window protocol.  Thanks, Matt...
even though I am not in the position to use or understand a lot of the
specific operation of Dnet, the article was good in informing me as to
what Dnet does and how a sliding window protocol works.
     Back to TransAmi...it's good that this magazine is now on solid,
monthly ground.  It is the ONLY magazine available to me at the bookstore
that deals with the Amiga in both technical and objective opinion topics.
The reason I am posting here is because I know some of you write for the
magazine (Larry has a regular column) and it is easier to comment this
way than to write a Snailmail letter.  So, to wrap it up, I like the
magazine.  Keep it up, and write some more articles that explain the
theory behind things like sliding window protocols, networking, and
maybe an article on the usenet, internet, bitnet, arpa, etc...and how
Amiga users can get access to them.  (As a student here, I get bitnet
and internet access, but usenet access is not direct).

Baird McIntosh

==)=))==)))===))))====)))))=====))))))======)))))))=======Amiga!!!======
disclaimer: if it don't offend YOU, send me email & I'll try again. ;-)
BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet <or> INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu
"IBM -- it BORES me...Macintosh -- how 'bout the PRICE of them apples!"
======Amiga!!!=======(((((((======((((((=====(((((====((((===(((==((=(==

jrw@bpdsun1.uucp (Jon Wahlmann) (10/12/89)

Any one know how I can reach the people at the Transactor regarding my
subscription?  I have repeatedly tried calling the phone number listed
at the beginning of the magazine, however, every single time it has been
busy.  I refuse to believe that they are THAT busy!  I renewed my
subscription over two and a half months ago and have yet to receive an
issue on it.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

					Jon

Jonathan R. Wahlmann		Harris Corp - Broadcast Div - Quincy, IL
(W) (217) 222-8200, x3619	quintro!bpdsun1!jrw@lll-winken.llnl.gov
(H) (217) 224-6918	 	uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!jrw

cna@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Na Choon Piaw) (10/12/89)

In article <1989Oct11.210603.19156@bpdsun1.uucp> jrw@bpdsun1.uucp (Jon Wahlmann) writes:

>Any one know how I can reach the people at the Transactor regarding my
>subscription?  I have repeatedly tried calling the phone number listed
>at the beginning of the magazine, however, every single time it has been
>busy.  I refuse to believe that they are THAT busy!  I renewed my
>subscription over two and a half months ago and have yet to receive an
>issue on it.

You're not the only one.  I sent them a check for a new subscription, and
heard absolutely nothing.  I'm getting very tired of waiting.  The
magazine's good, but if this goes on...

I've tried several E-mail addresses and all of them bounced.  Anyone got any
valid addresses?

>					Jon
Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
cna@cory.berkeley.edu		Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!
piaw@ocf.berkeley.edu		"Still on honeymoon with his Amiga...."

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (10/12/89)

Keep phoning that number!  The exact same thing happened to me a couple of
months ago.  I think they leave the phone off the hook a lot.  I found that
you can usually get through after 2pm in the afternoon.
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +                                               +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +

eabu012@orion.oac.uci.edu (Joyce Noriega) (10/13/89)

The Guys are on drugs. I sent them In a  address correction form, and they
called my office (when I wasn't there) claiming that I had not orderd anything,
and that they couldnt process my order until I told them What I wanted.
I then tried calling them for 2 weeks and could never get through.
Bozos.

CH.

GG.MPD@forsythe.stanford.edu (Michael Durket) (10/13/89)

I'll second that. They sent me issues regularly, then skipped one
then sent 3 in a row, then nothing.

  I give up.

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (10/13/89)

In article <1989Oct11.210603.19156@bpdsun1.uucp> jrw@bpdsun1.uucp (Jon Wahlmann) writes:

>Any one know how I can reach the people at the Transactor regarding my
>subscription?  I have repeatedly tried calling the phone number listed
>at the beginning of the magazine, however, every single time it has been
>busy.  I refuse to believe that they are THAT busy!  I renewed my
>subscription over two and a half months ago and have yet to receive an
>issue on it.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

I'm in the middle of my subscription (no need to renew), and I haven't
received an issue in a while.  Maybe they've just fallen behind.  It's
happened before.

--Steve
and order all the back issues they had available.  I must
admit, I was confused when the items (sub, backissues) came
quite sporadically and out of order, but, everything
I paid for arrived as ordered.

I certainly hope that a magazine of the technical quality
such as theirs gets some good publishing management.

|  Allen H. Farrington         smart:  allen@tcville.hac.com           |
|   (213) 436-0483        CompuServe:  74010,1775                      |

jb@cbmtor.UUCP (Jim Butterfield ) (10/19/89)

a Feydeau farce.  Office staff and office furniture has done a
curious disappearing act, and has made covering the phones a major
project.  When the phones are answered, you're as likely to find
yourself talking to an editor (who may have a devil of a time
checking out your subscription/order status).
  All is said to be temporary.  The T is seeking out and will
occupy new office space by the end of October, and with luck will
settle down to a NORMAL level of confusion.
  Meanwhile, keep trying.  They are there.  They still publish.
The magazines are coming out, fairly well on schedule.
--jim
Disclaimer:  I don't work for The Transactor, and this is in no way
an official Transactor statement.  Just my understanding of the
current "hard to get" situation.

:  My boss doesn't understand me...  :  Jim Butterfield, Toronto  :
:   .. and I'm my own boss!          :    jb@cbmtor               :

warren@hpindda.HP.COM (Warren Burnett) (10/28/89)

Does anyone know what has happened to Transactor for the Amiga?  Are they
still publishing?  I have been to several different stores over the last
month looking for the new issue but have not been able to find it.  Did
they go out of business, or are they just having financial trouble like
they did last year?  I hope that they are still around.  It would be a
shame to loose such a good magazine.

		Warren Burnett
		warren%hpindda@hp-sde.sde.hp.com

dooley@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Kevin Dooley) (10/30/89)

In article <6570023@hpindda.HP.COM> warren@hpindda.HP.COM (Warren Burnett) writes:
>Does anyone know what has happened to Transactor for the Amiga?  Are they
>still publishing?  I have been to several different stores over the last
>month looking for the new issue but have not been able to find it.  Did

I have a subscription to Transactor which should be good until May
of '90 and I still have not gotten my October issue.  Has anybody
seen anything from Transactor since Vol. 2, issue 6?
		Kevin

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys

koshy@abekrd.UUCP (Koshy Abraham) (10/30/89)

warren@hpindda.HP.COM (Warren Burnett) writes:

>Does anyone know what has happened to Transactor for the Amiga?  Are they
>still publishing?  I have been to several different stores over the last
>month looking for the new issue but have not been able to find it.  Did
>they go out of business, or are they just having financial trouble like
>they did last year?  I hope that they are still around.  It would be a
>shame to loose such a good magazine.

Well I have been wanting to mail some info on this subject for some time now,
but haven't manged to get around to doing it (until now).

I received my latest copy of Transactor for the Amiga a couple of weeks ago.
This was published here in the U.K. and is independent of the Candian
publication. However, it includes articles from a lot of the original
Transactor authors, and it has kept to being a technical/programmers magazine.

Following is a list of the articles in the current issue (i.e. vol 2, iss 3
Nov 1989) :

From The Kernel                 by Mike Todd
Dispatches                      by Don Curtis
Scripit                         by Steve Ahlstrom
Amiga Memory Allocation         by Eric Giguere
AmigaTeX                        by Eric Giguere
ROM Kernal Manual :
Include & Autodocs              by Peter Booth
PageStream                      by Peter Shepherd
Amiga Audio                     by David Wood
What are MFM and GCR ?          by Betty Clay
From C to Assembler ...and back by Peter Booth
Three Tips                      by R.J. Appleton, Bryce Nesbitt
                                and Luc Van Rompaey
The Bison/Yacc Parser Generator by Eric Giguere
Assembler Language, Part 4      by Jim Butterfield
Seth                            by Vic Wagner
Resident Libraries              by Eric Salter

For those interested in finding out more, here is the address :

Transactor (U.K.) Ltd.,
unit 2,
Langdale Grove,
Bingham,
Nottinghamshire
NG13 8SR
England U.K.

Tel : 0949-39380
Fax : 0949-39687

If you are going to be making a phone call to them then expect to hear from the
dreaded answerphone (unless you phone around 6 - 7 p.m. British time).

Note : I am in no way connected with Transactor (U.K.) Ltd., and the comments
given above are my own un-biased and independent views/observations.

One of my articles is soon to appear in the above mentioned magazine and it
was thought that my views would seen to be biased, hence the reason for not
joining the earlier discussions on the subject.

I hope this will be of use to all who has been enquiring about this mag.

Koshy.

--
Koshy Abraham                  NET: koshy@abekrd.co.uk
Abekas Video Systems Ltd.     UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!{reading,pyrltd}!abekrd!koshy

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (10/31/89)

>In article <6570023@hpindda.HP.COM> warren@hpindda.HP.COM (Warren Burnett) writes:
>    Does anyone know what has happened to Transactor for the Amiga?  Are they
>    still publishing?  I have been to several different stores over the last

I haven't seen it in the bookstores around DC either.  Still, just last week
Jim Butterfield, posting from an account at CBM-Canada stated that the
TransAmi crew was moving to new offices and said that the old phones should
still be in working order but not answered at all times during the day.  Go
back and look for this news article.

			-Rusty
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (10/31/89)

    Walden Books carries Amiga Transactor.  The most recent issue I purchased
there was September (Volume 2, Issue 6).  I don't know if this means October
issues are sold out or if they haven't arrived yet.

    On the subject of magazines.  Has anyone seen Amazing Amiga's Buyers'
Guide?  I haven't been able to locate it locally.

                                            Julie (LadyHawke@cup.portal.com)

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) (11/01/89)

In article <1989Oct29.201531.12519@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> dooley@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Kevin Dooley) writes:
>In article <6570023@hpindda.HP.COM> warren@hpindda.HP.COM (Warren Burnett) writes:
>>Does anyone know what has happened to Transactor for the Amiga?  Are they
>>still publishing?  I have been to several different stores over the last
>>month looking for the new issue but have not been able to find it.  Did
>
>I have a subscription to Transactor which should be good until May
>of '90 and I still have not gotten my October issue.  Has anybody
>seen anything from Transactor since Vol. 2, issue 6?

Just to add fuel to this fire ...
I was so impressed with Transactor when I saw the first issue, that
I immediately subscribed for THREE YEARS, including disk.
The last issue I have received was Volume-2 Issue-2.

I have called Transactor 3 times and written letters too.  I have not
received any response.

How do you sue an out of country company?

Kerry Zimmerman
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!kaz  VERSYSS Corporation 213-323-8170
A difference between an amateur and a professional,
is that a professional has the right tools.

alj@bilver.UUCP (alj) (11/01/89)

 A friend of mine just bought the new (October) Transactor for the Amiga
magazine today, and read it through cover-to-cover.  He said it's most
excellent.  Hopefully, that means mine (and everyone elses') will arrive
in the mail soon.  He got it at a local Amiga store.
 -Arthur

* (uiucuxc, hoptoad, petsd)!peora!tarpit!bilver!alj       PLink: DUNG        *
* alj@bilver.UUCP		   <FEH>		  GEnie: A.JOHNSONJR *

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (11/05/89)

In article <23528@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>    Walden Books carries Amiga Transactor.  The most recent issue I purchased
>there was September (Volume 2, Issue 6).  I don't know if this means October

The Volume 3, Issue 1 just showed up at the bookstore downstairs.  It's great
to know that the stores are going to get served before the subscribers again.

Whee...

ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) (11/28/89)

For those Usenetters who have been eagerly awaiting the release of the
most recent issue of the Amiga Transactor, you can all let out a deep
sigh of relief now.  Today I had the great pleasure of reading a
honest to goodness real copy of the latest issue at the local computer
store.  It had just come out on the magazine stands.

There we go again.  The news stands get it long before I get my
subscription issue in the mail...  <sigh>  Isn't that always the case.
At least it has finally arrived after a couple of months rest.

Ben
--
Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  _or_  ben@ziebmef.mef.org
150 Beverley St. Apt #1L | Bix: jetpen             ^^^-down for repair?
using that answering service anymore.  I called their office number, and
either got a busy signal or continuous ringing all day.  I called (again) in
the evening, and spoke to a night answering service that informed me that
the offices were being moved, and she would give them the message to call me
back, and my number.  It's been a week+ now, and I haven't heard a thing.  I
heard a rumor that they've posted an explanation on CompuServe, so if any
other disgruntled subscribers are on there, too, please post the explanation
here...  I hate having to buy a magazine in the store when I subscribe to it.

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (12/03/89)

As an addenda to what I just said, I just read Mr. Grantham's message, and I
understand.  I just wanted to say THANKS! for doing such a great job, and
you'll be sorely missed by many of us readers!

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (12/27/89)

Would someone please e-mail to me the NEW address and telephone number
for subscription discussions with Transactor ?

(or maybe the town they're in so the phone company can figure it out)
--
-Frank Cunningham	smart: fc@lexicon.com	phone: (617) 891-6790
			dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc

			Real Recording Engineers mix direct to stereo.

youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) (12/28/89)

In article <520@lexicon.com> fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) writes:

>Would someone please e-mail to me the NEW address and telephone number
>for subscription discussions with Transactor ?

Me too. I would like to call them to make sure I am still in their
database. I still have not received V3N1 from them and that issue
has been in the stores here for quite a long time.

				Bret

ARPA:    youngb@eg.ecn.purdue.edu
UUCP:    youngb@pur-ee.uucp

11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu (Timothy Stark) (12/29/89)

Me too. I still did not receive V3N1 from them. :(

-- Tim Stark

Timothy Stark          Bitnet: 11tstark@gallua.bitnet People/Link: T.STARK
Gallaudet University   Internet: 11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu GEnie: T.STARK1
P.O. Box 1453, 800 Florida Ave., N.E., Washington, DC 20002
"Gallaudet University is the only university for the deaf in the world."

ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) (01/01/90)

In article <13965@pur-ee.UUCP> youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:
>In article <520@lexicon.com> fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) writes:
>>
>>Would someone please e-mail to me the NEW address and telephone number
>>for subscription discussions with Transactor ?
>
>Me too. I would like to call them to make sure I am still in their
>database. I still have not received V3N1 from them and that issue
>has been in the stores here for quite a long time.

Try this number:  (416)764-5273.  I think that will get you in touch
with the TransAmi answering machine (haven't tried it myself).
I haven't gotten my issue of V3N1 either.

Ben
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_| Phone: (416)-979-7885, (416)-979-8761

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/04/90)

In article <1990Jan1.002621.27953@contact.uucp> ben@contact.UUCP (Ben Eng) writes:
|[...]
|Try this number:  (416)764-5273.  I think that will get you in touch
|with the TransAmi answering machine (haven't tried it myself).
|I haven't gotten my issue of V3N1 either.

	"We're sorry - the number you have reached
	is not in service. Please check the number
	or try your call again. This is a recording"...

Hmmm,
--
  \\\\	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \66/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/05/90)

>	"We're sorry - the number you have reached
>	is not in service. Please check the number
>	or try your call again. This is a recording"...

For a while there about three months ago, I was getting a live answering
service at that number in the evening, and the machine during the day.  The
service told me they'd give them the message, and that they were told to
tell callers that we'd be called back.  The service also said that they felt
there "was something funny going on."  Hmmm.... <chuckle>

     /************************************************************
     * Everything above is copyright me.  All rights unreserved. *
     * uunet!tronsbox!bleys         BIX: bcavanaugh              *
     * "The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"       *
     *                              Finagle's First Law          *
     *                                 J. Pournelle              *

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (02/07/90)

In article <25ccfc73:3510.4comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
> >	"We're sorry - the number you have reached
> >	is not in service. Please check the number
> >	or try your call again. This is a recording"...

On the bright side, though. When I renewed last decade, I did it by MC.
I noticed on my most recent MC bill a charge for Cruftward (or whatever)
publishing in London, at least six months after I renewed.
At least they held on to it for awhile, and cashed it about the time
they shipped v3#1.
--
-Frank Cunningham   smart: fc@lexicon.com	phone: (617) 891-6790
		    dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc
		    snail: Lexicon Inc.  100 Beaver St.  Waltham MA 02174
Why are viola jokes so short ?		So violinists can remember them.