[comp.sys.amiga] Getting workbench to mount a subdirectory...

EACONS@MTUS5.BITNET (Ernie Anderson) (02/06/90)

Our local user's group has gotten an account on one of the university's
sun workstations.  We then hooked our amiga up with dnet to it at
19200 baud.  Everything is fine except for a couple of questions that have
come up.

   1) When we mount NFS (as sun: :-) it mounts it as the root directory
   of the sun, rather than the local directory we have set up.  This isn't
   a problem from the CLI, but we would like to use Workbench (Just to show
   that it can be done, we ARE sitting next to a MACII).  The obvious
   problem is that when we open the sun: disk icon, there isn't anything in
   it because there aren't any icons in the root directory of the sun.  What
   we want to know is how to make a disk icon that when opened, shows the
   contents of the local directory.  Can this be done?

   2) There wasn't a mountlist entry example with the nfs-handler (no docs
   at all, actually, we just guessed at how to use it.) so we set the stack
   at 6000.  Is this much too big?  We don't have much memory, so every little
   bit counts.

   3) Finally, the amiga's idea of the path is funny from the nfs-handler.
   An example:
   mount sun:
   cd sun:/usr/local/homes/amiga
   cd
   sun:/usr/local/homes/amiga
   cd someprogs
   cd
   sun:/usr/local/homes/amiga/someprogs
   cd /
   cd
   sun:/usr/local/homes/amiga/someprogs/

   The above is from memory, so bear with me.  After the last step shown
   above, the actual directory is correct, if we do a dir, we get the contents
   of /usr/local/homes/amiga.  However, the path is really messed up.  If we
   do this using the WB1.3 shell, the prompt shows the current directory, and
   is affected the same way.  If we go into and out of several directories,
   the path just gets longer, and longer until the prompt takes up the whole
   line.  This is not a *problem*, in that it doesn't affect usage of the
   machine, but it is ugly, and hints at deeper problems.  Does anyone have
   an idea about this one?

Anyone having a clue about any of these problems can either post it or send
mail to any of the following addresses.  Thank You.

EJANDERS@MTUS5.BITNET
EACONS@MTUS5.BITNET

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (02/06/90)

In article <90036.140352EACONS@MTUS5.BITNET> EACONS@MTUS5.BITNET (Ernie Anderson) writes:
>Our local user's group has gotten an account on one of the university's
>sun workstations.  We then hooked our amiga up with dnet to it at
>19200 baud.  Everything is fine except for a couple of questions that have
>come up.
>
>   1) When we mount NFS (as sun: :-) it mounts it as the root directory
>   of the sun, rather than the local directory we have set up.  This isn't
>   a problem from the CLI, but we would like to use Workbench (Just to show
>   that it can be done, we ARE sitting next to a MACII).  The obvious
>   problem is that when we open the sun: disk icon, there isn't anything in
>   it because there aren't any icons in the root directory of the sun.  What
>   we want to know is how to make a disk icon that when opened, shows the
>   contents of the local directory.  Can this be done?

As I mentioned in jest last week, you can put lots of .info files
starting with a Disk.info at the root. This doesn't look too clean
and might raise the ire of your unix administrator though. Alternative
ideas:

  Wait for 1.4 :^).

  Jazzbench might also be an option with it's default directory icon
  - it makes one if there isn't one. BTW, Jazzbench is pretty stable on
  my a2500 while I can barely get it to startup on my 2 meg A1000.
  Might have something to do with having enough chip ram - anyone want
  to check it out? Also, Jazzbench is the only non-cli oriented
  program I have found which can correctly transfer large files.

  Browser chokes on files much larger than 50k. Otherwise I would
  suggest Browser. Browser is good for viewing directories and can
  'cd' to an assigned directory such as your home directory - I use
  that often. If you do make assignments to a DnetNFS device, be sure
  and unassign them before you shut down Dnet !!!!

>   2) There wasn't a mountlist entry example with the nfs-handler (no docs
>   at all, actually, we just guessed at how to use it.) so we set the stack
>   at 6000.  Is this much too big?  We don't have much memory, so every little
>   bit counts.

Well, you hit it right!

/*  This is the Dnet NFS device. */
NF0:       handler = L:nfs-handler
           stacksize = 6000
           priority = 5
           globvec = 1
#

>   3) Finally, the amiga's idea of the path is funny from the nfs-handler.
[...]
>   The above is from memory, so bear with me.  After the last step shown
>   above, the actual directory is correct, if we do a dir, we get the contents
>   of /usr/local/homes/amiga.  However, the path is really messed up.

In the original tar'ed distribution file, Matt explained this
problem. If I can remember it correctly, It simply tacks on the path
you cd to to the current path name, The result is ok as long as you
are always entering subdirectories. If you go back to a parent, the
parent dir name gets tacked on - confusing, so use absolute or
assigned pathnames - they work.

>   machine, but it is ugly, and hints at deeper problems.  Does anyone have
>   an idea about this one?

I wouldn't really say deeper problems, Matt's documentation mentions
that this is incompletely implemented. If you look at it that way &
don't expect everything, well... I get the impression that Matt
carried the project so far and then stopped - maybe he didn't need it
anymore? Maybe there were implementation problems?

ALl I can say is that what is there is better than nothing at all. I
use it all day long & just remember it's limitations. Not a problem
to me when I keep that in mind.

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (02/07/90)

EACONS@MTUS5.BITNET (Ernie Anderson) writes:
>   1) When we mount NFS (as sun: :-) it mounts it as the root directory
>   of the sun, rather than the local directory we have set up.

See below.

>   The obvious problem is that when we open the sun: disk icon,
>   there isn't anything in it because there aren't any icons in the
>   root directory of the sun.  What we want to know is how to make a
>   disk icon that when opened, shows the contents of the local directory.
>   Can this be done?

Two possibilities:  get the local people to put .info files in their root
directory (hahaha) or use Jazzbench for the demos.  Then you can make it
show icons for the files that don't have icons.

>   3) Finally, the amiga's idea of the path is funny from the nfs-handler.
[ example, showing how the nfs device adds onto path, even when you go up
  the path tree ]
>   line.  This is not a *problem*, in that it doesn't affect usage of the
>   machine, but it is ugly, and hints at deeper problems.  Does anyone have
>   an idea about this one?

Problem one and this are the result of the path device being fairly simple
minded in it's approaches.  There are some other problems with it which
you may have not yet noticed, which I won't go into (none are critical, just
more of this inconvenient stuff)

Problem 2 exists because that behaviour was probably seen as the easiest
way to handle the conversion between Amigados and Unix paths (what with
symbolic links, .. and ., etc.)  True, there are simple mappings, but
they were not put in.

Solution:  rewrite the device.  My friend did it, but hasn't done anything
with it because Matt said he was going to fix it himself.  Among the things
my friend fixed are the two problems you state above.

Remember, this NF0: was more of a demo than a specifically useful project.
--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, watdragon, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre -- me) wrote:
>Problem one and this are the result of the path device being fairly simple
					    ^^^^
OOps, sorry, I don't know where that word came from.  Ignore it or
replace with "net", as appropriate.  I would have killed and reposted the
article, but I didn't notice it, someone else asked what the heck I was
talking about.

I was blathering .... *sigh*

Blair
--

himacdonald@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Hamish Macdonald) (02/07/90)

In article <25085@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> Kent D. Polk writes:
>In article <90036.140352EACONS@MTUS5.BITNET> Ernie Anderson writes:
>>   1) When we mount NFS (as sun: :-) it mounts it as the root directory
>>   of the sun, rather than the local directory we have set up.  This isn't
>>   a problem from the CLI, but we would like to use Workbench (Just to show
>>   that it can be done, we ARE sitting next to a MACII).  The obvious
>>   problem is that when we open the sun: disk icon, there isn't anything in
>>   it because there aren't any icons in the root directory of the sun.  What
>>   we want to know is how to make a disk icon that when opened, shows the
>>   contents of the local directory.  Can this be done?
>
>As I mentioned in jest last week, you can put lots of .info files
>starting with a Disk.info at the root. This doesn't look too clean
>and might raise the ire of your unix administrator though. ...

You can change the 'snfs' program to have it's idea of the root directory
be different from the one there now.

Near the beginning of the NFs function is a line 'OpenHandle(...)'.
This opens "/" at the moment.  You could change this to open any directory
you want if you like.  If you made this your home directory,
(say '/u/himacdonald'), an open of 'NF0:Disk.info' would become an open of
'/u/himacdonald/Disk.info'.  I believe you can still type 'CD NF0://' which
would take you to '/' on Unix.

Good luck.

(I'm the friend Blair was talking about).

Hamish.
watmath!watdragon!himacdonald     himacdonald@watdragon.waterloo.edu
"Guns seldom solve any problems; they merely decide whose will shall
prevail for the time being."      - Brian Jarvis