[comp.sys.amiga] Things.

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (02/06/90)

Hi.  I've heard that somebody was working on an 030 board for the LUCAS
boards.  Does anybody know more about this?
Also, I've heard a horror story that 1.4 will not work on the 1000?  Please
say this is not true.  Any help would be appreciated.

				Thanks, Ralph Seguin

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@goliath.eecs.umich.edu   Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET
mailrus.cc.umich.edu!sharkey!clif!comnet!mjolnir!{gilgalad|root}

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
11010 Lighthouse Dr. #234  | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Belleville, MI 48111       | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 697-1048

sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) (02/06/90)

In article <48773875.19c13@locust.engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Also, I've heard a horror story that 1.4 will not work on the 1000?  Please
>say this is not true.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>				Thanks, Ralph Seguin

The kickstart for 1.4 will be in 512K of ROM, there is no disk version
of KS for the 1000 because the WCS is only 256K. My sources tell me that
workbench 1.4 will identify the type of KS and adjust itself
accordingly. In other words, workbench 1.4 will run on a 1000, or any
other machine with KS 1.3 or 1.2 but you will not be able to take full
advantage of it's features. This is the reason for the final 1000 trade in
offer.

Steven Morris
University of Delaware - Instructional Technology
sjm@udel.edu

In article <7533@sun.acs.udel.edu> sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) writes:
>The kickstart for 1.4 will be in 512K of ROM

	What is your source for this? Commodore isn't saying anything
and they've made developers sign away their souls before getting a
look at 1.4. If it's true, I'd definitely like to know, but I'd like
to be sure before telling everyone I know.
	-- Ethan

vin@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Vincent J. Erickson) (02/06/90)

In article <7533@sun.acs.udel.edu> sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) writes:
>In article <48773875.19c13@locust.engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>>Also, I've heard a horror story that 1.4 will not work on the 1000?  Please
>>say this is not true.  Any help would be appreciated.
>>

>The kickstart for 1.4 will be in 512K of ROM, there is no disk version
>of KS for the 1000 because the WCS is only 256K. My sources tell me that

Will the Rejuvenator board allow 1000 users the full capabilities of
WB 1.4? I really would like to keep my 1000, and since the rejuvenator
board has the kickstart roms, will it be the whole 512K of rom?

menelli@sunb4.cs.uiuc.edu (02/07/90)

    If 1.4 is indeed in 512k of ROM (I didn't think it was, but I most
certainly could be wrong...), the only option would be the Rejuvenator,
which I heard, among all of the other features on it, has a Kickstart ROM
socket that accepts 512k ROMs (or so they tell me...)

Ron Menelli
menelli@cs.uiuc.edu

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (02/07/90)

[warning:  the following article could be construed to be a flame]

In article <7533@sun.acs.udel.edu> sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) writes:
>The kickstart for 1.4 will be in 512K of ROM, there is no disk version
>of KS for the 1000 because the WCS is only 256K. My sources tell me that
>workbench 1.4 will identify the type of KS and adjust itself
>accordingly.

Care to identify the sources?  As far as I know, 1.4 alpha 16(?) came on an
kickstart disk that would load completely into an ordinary A1000, and nobody
is saying anything about later versions due to non-disclosure agreements.
I've seen lots of idle rumours like the above wandering around, and most of
them are from people who have no idea of what is really going on.  Don't
believe everything you read or hear--unnamed sources are not known for
their reliability.

I have seen nothing even vaguely resembling a broad hint, much less an
official announcement, from anyone at C-A saying that 1.4 will be in 512K
of ROM.  If they really want to get A1000's out of circulation because
1.4 will not fit into WCS, then they should offer the trade in *after*
announcing that 1.4 will not fit.  As it is, I assume they're are offering
the trade-in because ECS will not work in an un-hacked A1000, which has
been announced.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University