[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga graphics quality ?

ml@ktibv.uucp (Marinko Laban) (02/07/90)

In message  <02206.AA02206@sosaria> Chris Brand writes:

>If you forbid all new graphics modes you forbid development and thus you
>forbid any chance of survival the Amiga may have.

I agree, Chris. I think that the time is there to get sceptical about
the Amiga's graphics qualities. I think it's still the best machine you can
get for money, but it's simply not good enough if you want to do some
high-quality rendering like I do. I can't afford anything more than an Amiga
at this moment, so I have to live with it.

It would be nice if future Amiga's would have the possibility to display
at least 640x400 8 bit color buffers, non-interlaced. For real
good rendering you simply need 24 bits/pixel, but this would probably mean
separate display adaptors. I would not mind that, since you usually don't
need all the Intuition stuff on such a display. How about a full color
card with a separate monitor that can be hooked into the expansion bus ?

That would be a cheap solution (probably < $5000) and you can use your
standard Amiga monitor for user-interface and the other one for displaying
the P*R*E*T*T*Y pictures (Something for you, John ?). This will only keep
the situation that any 680x0 would still be too slow for good ray tracing,
but patience is a virtue, isn't it. I would prefer good display capabilities
over fast floating point math. And if you're wealthy, you can buy stuff to
calculate, and use the Amiga as user-interface & display machine ...

So, come on, third party developers ...
Create a FULL color card for the Amiga. It will need it soon ...

Greetings, Marinko Laban.

| Greetings, Marinko Laban                                              |
| E-mail to: hp4nl.nluug.nl!hp4nl!ktibv!ml                              |