[comp.sys.amiga] What is Skypix ?

manfred@ramz.UUCP (Manfred Blum) (02/06/90)

Can anybody on the Net tell me what special kind of protokol Skypix is ?
Where can i get the protokol ?

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (02/07/90)

In article <1178@ramz.UUCP> manfred@ramz.UUCP (Manfred Blum) writes:
>Can anybody on the Net tell me what special kind of protokol Skypix is ?
>Where can i get the protokol ?

SkyPix is a terminal emulation written by Michael Cox of CVI Teleproductions.
It is used on the BBS program he wrote (SkyLine BBS) to transmit graphics and
sound over the modem.  It is reasonably fast, and it can be used to make a
menu where the BBS USer clicks on a BBS option on the screen with his mouse
and that option is selected - ALL OVER THE MODEM.  You might be able to find
SkyTerm, a terminal program he wrote that implements it, or the latest version
of JRComm, which also supports SkyPix.  It uses ANSI-type commands, ending
with an exclamation point; for example:

<ESC>[1;x;y! Sets the pixel at the specified X and Y coordinate to whatever
color is in Pen A (this was taken directly out of the SkyLine manual), where
<ESC> is, obviously, the ESCAPE key.

I hope this helps.

+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| John A. Dutka     | WSU Term #8: Potential Energy. Unit: The CowPot (CPo): |
| Box 2308          | 1 CPo = the potential energy of the average cow.       |
| 100 Institute Rd. |       = m*x^2/[m(c)*[[l(c)]^2]*[t(c)^2]                |
| 01609-2280    | jdutka@wpi.bitnet jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu  husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka |
+---------------+------------------------------------------------------------+

stan@jazz.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (02/07/90)

In article <1178@ramz.UUCP> manfred@ramz.UUCP (Manfred Blum) writes:
>Can anybody on the Net tell me what special kind of protokol Skypix is ?
>Where can i get the protokol ?

Skypix is an ANSI extension that provides for graphics commands to be
sent (ala BBS).  Primarily used in the Atredes BBS software package it
provides BBS users with REAL graphics (not character), menus with gadgets
for mouse point and click selections, IFF brush transmission and BLITing
(move the brush around on the users screen) and IFF sound transmission
and playing.  The graphic modes that it can "draw" on your screen are
640 X 200 in 8 or 16 colors (out of 4096). The Skypix file has the ascii
appearance of an ansi graphic/text file. You can create your own "screens"
and simple animations with the pub domain paint program "SkyPaint 2.0".
It "records" all your drawing actions as you do them and creates a SkyPix
file that can be "played back".  Skypix can be seen on the User group BBS
I run at the number in my signature.  It requires a terminal program
that supports Skypix if you want to select Skypix mode (naturally) but
works fine with standard menus and Ansi menus too.  Currently only the
freeware terminal program "DemoTerm" supports Skypix and unfortunately
it is a real PIG.  JrComm will be supporting it when ever 1.0 comes out,
which is looooong over due. (Please hurry, JrComm 1.0)
Let's see what else...  it supports joystick interaction from the user too.
Anyway, check it out, the SkyPaint program is available on my BBS too and
could help you see how the commands are used.

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804