[comp.sys.amiga] HP Deskjet Plus

lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) (02/05/90)

I've noticed that HP is having a $150 rebate offer on HP Deskjet Plus
printers and was wondering if anyone could recommend it to me or
discourage me from it.  I want to get Laser quality in my DTP newsletter
without paying the High price.  I am currently using PPage 1.3 with
a 24 pin printer and finding the output to be a little heavy for my liking.
12 point size compugraphic fonts aren't bad but when you need something
smaller it gets messy.

I am curious if pixelscript works well with the Deskjet and how long
does it take to print a page using this method.  Also does Pixelscript
output look as good as or better than ppage output using compugraphic fonts.

Thanks Lance Holmes

stan@jazz.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (02/07/90)

In article <1458@raybed2.UUCP> lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) writes:

>I've noticed that HP is having a $150 rebate offer on HP Deskjet Plus
>printers and was wondering if anyone could recommend it to me or
>discourage me from it.  I want to get Laser quality in my DTP newsletter
>without paying the High price.  I am currently using PPage 1.3 with
>a 24 pin printer and finding the output to be a little heavy for my liking.
>12 point size compugraphic fonts aren't bad but when you need something
>smaller it gets messy.
>
>I am curious if pixelscript works well with the Deskjet and how long
>does it take to print a page using this method.  Also does Pixelscript
>output look as good as or better than ppage output using compugraphic fonts.
>
>Thanks Lance Holmes

I have a Deskjet Plus, PPage 1.3 AND pixelscript (for use mostly with ProWrite
/ProScript which ain't bad) anyway..  I think it's GREAT!!  I get very good
results in PPage using the Compugraphic fonts, that really rivals PostScript
laser output when printed on the right paper.  The DeskJet (Plus) is an
amazing little printer, it's soooooo light and yet the print quality and
accuracy is astonishing.  I've compared using the "dot matrix" output of
PPage to the Deskjet directly (when using compugraphic fonts)  with using
(PPage) PostScript output ran through Pixelscript to the Deskjet and the
dot matrix output is definately superior not too mention faster (one step).
The dot pitch is very tiny and small (4 point text is still quite legible).
Imported bitmaps print with much better contrast and resolution
then when going out PostScript->pixelscript->printer.
I use Pixelscript mostly with Prowrite/ProScript and though it's a hastle
(several steps) it does work quite well (not quite as pretty as PPage).
It is a very slow process..  probably 10 minutes to print a page of
complex output (I'm guessing from memory).
Currently the ink for the Deskjet is water soluble, so you may want to
copy your output on a quality copier if it's apt to be subjected to moisture.
I hear they (HP) are working on a permanent ink for their cartridges.
Oh yeah, I mentioned paper earlier..  It makes all the difference in the
world!!  You don't use clay coated paper (typical ink jet paper) you use
plain old copier paper (bond copier) and you can get from excellent to
very poor print quality depending on which brand/composition paper you get.
The ink will bleed badly on the wrong paper.

About that rebate offer?  How recent do you have to have bought it to send
for the rebate??  ;^)

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804

ml@ecerl3.ncsu.edu (02/07/90)

In a recent posting you wrote:
]
]I've noticed that HP is having a $150 rebate offer on HP Deskjet Plus
]printers and was wondering if anyone could recommend it to me or
]discourage me from it.  I want to get Laser quality in my DTP newsletter
]without paying the High price.

I would definitely say that the DeskJet (plus) was a good bet then.
Very good printer; quiet, reasonably fast, seems reliable (so far :-) ).
The only problem I have with it is that the ink is water soluble, so I
wouldn't recommend it for printing mailing labels!

]I am curious if pixelscript works well with the Deskjet and how long
]does it take to print a page using this method.

Yes, it works, and seems to do a good job, from what I've seen of it.
I haven't done that much with it though (Pixelscript package just arrived
here a couple of days ago).  Seems to take about 6-8 minutes/page, so
it's no speed demon.  It comes with a specific driver for the DeskJet.

] Also does Pixelscript
]output look as good as or better than ppage output using compugraphic fonts.

Sorry, I don't know anything about ppage so I can't answer this.

--
             ==[ ml@eceris.ncsu.edu (128.109.135.109) ]==

             ==[ ml@eceris.ncsu.edu (128.109.135.109) ]==

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (02/07/90)

>In a recent posting you wrote:
>I would definitely say that the DeskJet (plus) was a good bet then.
>Very good printer; quiet, reasonably fast, seems reliable (so far :-) ).
>The only problem I have with it is that the ink is water soluble, so I
>wouldn't recommend it for printing mailing labels!

Buy a can of "Workable Fixative", available at any Art Supply house. The
brand name I use is Krylon. I've also been told that cheap hairspray will
work. I've used it on prinouts from my Xerox 4020 (also uses water based
inks) with very good results. It will make it water resistant, and will also
help keep the inks from fading. I recently did a large (6 foot) outdoor
sign, sprayed the whole thing down, and hung it out on a foggy morning. It
held up well.

>             ==[ ml@eceris.ncsu.edu (128.109.135.109) ]==

--hal
--
----------------
hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu        "Those that won't innovate, litigate"

) Seaman) (02/08/90)

ml@ecerl3.ncsu.edu writes:
< I would definitely say that the DeskJet (plus) was a good bet then.
< Very good printer; quiet, reasonably fast, seems reliable (so far :-) ).
< The only problem I have with it is that the ink is water soluble, so I
< wouldn't recommend it for printing mailing labels!
<
< --
<              ==[ ml@eceris.ncsu.edu (128.109.135.109) ]==

I have a question about the Deskjet ink problem.  I have seen numerous
warnings from owners of Deskjets similar to the one above (i.e., don't
get your printouts wet!).  Well, how often do most printouts get wet,
anyway?  If I write something in felt-tipped pen (such as a Pilot Razor
Point), the ink is water soluble, and does indeed bleed if it gets wet,
but (barring taking an unprotected paper out in the rain) I have never
had to worry about it.  Is the ink in the Deskjet so much more
sensitive to water?

I have been seriously considering a Deskjet, but this problem concerns
me.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /|__|\__/|__|\
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           | |              |     Where does he get