[comp.sys.amiga] Any ADA compilers available?

behage@ehvie0.tq.ine.philips.nl (Han Behage) (02/01/90)

Is there any ADA compiler for the Amiga available?
If so, what are the prices, and where can I order or buy it?

Any pointers to PD implementations, if any exist, are welcome.

--
  // Eric Tuerlings                   (Using the account of Han Behage)
\X/  Philips I&E AAA / BCp - k 60 / 5600 MD Eindhoven / The Netherlands

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) (02/02/90)

There is no such thing as a PD Ada Compiler.  To be
called Ada, the Dept. of Defense has to validate the
compiler, a very expensive and time consuming prospect.
This level of effort tends to disuade casual programmers
from attempting an Ada compiler.

I guess someone could write an Ada look-alike, but as
of yet, no-one has to my knowledge.

--Allen

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (02/02/90)

In article <698@ehvie0.tq.ine.philips.nl> behage@ehvie0.tq.ine.philips.nl (Han Behage) writes:

>Is there any ADA compiler for the Amiga available?
>If so, what are the prices, and where can I order or buy it?
>
>Any pointers to PD implementations, if any exist, are welcome.
>
>--
>  // Eric Tuerlings                   (Using the account of Han Behage)
>\X/  Philips I&E AAA / BCp - k 60 / 5600 MD Eindhoven / The Netherlands
>Phone: +31-40-722152  /  Fax +31-40-724610  /  behage@tq.ine.philips.nl

As of the posting of the December 1989 listing of Validated Ada compilers
from the Ada Information Clearinghouse (AdaIC), there were no validated
Ada compilers for the Amiga.  In addition, there were no specifically
PD validated Ada compilers, although New York University and York
University (U.K) appear to have non-commercial compilers for certain
machines.  There are validated compilers for MS-DOS and MacIntosh
computers  (the Mac compilers for the Mac II and Mac SE/30).

Fred Fish Disk #154 contains a program titled Ada, described as an Ada
syntax checker for the Amiga.  I've not yet tried it out, so can't
comment on its performance.  It is not, however, part of a validated
Ada compiler.

(By the way it's Ada not 'ADA'.  The language is named after Ada Lovelace,
not the American Dental Assocation.   :-)  ).

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	  CompuServe:  74236,1645	Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil

kvitek@pro-party.cts.com (Keith Vitek) (02/05/90)

I believe the GNU project has been working on an ada compiler... may see about
porting it if nothing else... but it is BIG... forgot the exact size of the
compressed file size that I saw... somewhere around a meg...

______

UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!kvitek
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-party!kvitek@nosc.mil
INET: kvitek@pro-party.cts.com

Keith Vitek              | Voice: 512/852-1841     | I want my NeXT...
5914 LiptonShire         |    or: 512/852-1780     | I want my AmigaUUCP...
Corpus Christi, TX 78415 |  FIDO: 1:160/40         | I want ..........

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (02/05/90)

In article <1367@crash.cts.com> kvitek@pro-party.cts.com (Keith Vitek) writes:

>I believe the GNU project has been working on an ada compiler... may see about
>porting it if nothing else... but it is BIG... forgot the exact size of the
>compressed file size that I saw... somewhere around a meg...

This should be interesting.  I'll have to see if I can dig up a copy of the
GNU Manifesto.  I'm not sure how well the requirement for getting DoD validation
for the compiler would sit with the GNU project.  Since the language name Ada
is trademarked, you must get DoD validation or you can't call it Ada.

On the comment that the compiler would be big, no doubt about it.  Ada is a big
language.  As a reference point, the IntegrAda compiler for MS-DOS machines
takes up about 2 megabytes of disk space and requires 640K of memory to run.

peterson@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Eric J Peterson) (02/05/90)

In article <816@cs.nps.navy.mil>, schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:
| Since the language name Ada
| is trademarked, you must get DoD validation or you can't call it Ada.

I read a few months ago in an issue of ACM's SIGPLAN that the AJPO was
going to allow the trademark on the name "Ada" to expire without renewing
it, although there was no mention of why this was happening.  Is this true?
If so, why?

| As a reference point, the IntegrAda compiler for MS-DOS machines
| takes up about 2 megabytes of disk space and requires 640K of memory to run.

Here at FSU, we have the Janus Ada compiler for MS-DOS machines which takes
up about 3 megs of disk space and a full 640K of RAM to run -- it doesn't
even leave enough memory to run our networking software.  And you need a
386 of at least 20 MHz to get any reasonable speed out of the compiler.
What kind of performance can we expect of an Amiga Ada compiler in
comparison?

| Jeff Schweiger

Eric

--
  Eric J. Peterson <> peterson@nu.cs.fsu.edu <> uunet!nu.cs.fsu.edu!peterson
Florida State Univ * CS Systems Support Group * Room 011 Love * (904) 644-2296

eachus@aries.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) (02/08/90)

In article <9002050356.AA22489@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> peterson@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Eric J Peterson) writes:

   I read a few months ago in an issue of ACM's SIGPLAN that the AJPO was
   going to allow the trademark on the name "Ada" to expire without renewing
   it, although there was no mention of why this was happening.  Is this true?
   If so, why?

     Yes, it is true.  Why?  For complex reasons, a trademark is not
the right way to protect the name of a programming language.  The
original trademark was applied for anyway, so that the "threat" of a
government backed trademark violation suite could prevent flagrant
rip-offs.  Now that many real Ada compilers exist, the AJPO feels that
any company which markets a subset compiler will be harming their own
reputation, but not that of Ada, so there was no need to renew.  There
is a trademarked Ada validation mark however, which can only be used
on validated compilers.

   Here at FSU, we have the Janus Ada compiler for MS-DOS machines which takes
   up about 3 megs of disk space and a full 640K of RAM to run -- it doesn't
   even leave enough memory to run our networking software.  And you need a
   386 of at least 20 MHz to get any reasonable speed out of the compiler.
   What kind of performance can we expect of an Amiga Ada compiler in
   comparison?

     It should scream by comparison.  The exceptions and tasking in
the Amiga Kernel were intentionally designed as an implementation of Ada
tasking and exceptions.  (This is not the right way to say it, maybe:
The Amiga gods saw Ada tasking and Ada exceptions and they were good,
in fact just what they needed...)  In any case, a fast Ada run time
for the Amiga is childs play, since Ada tasks are AmigaDOS tasks, etc.
Dan Eilers of Irvine Compilers said that it took four days to retarget
their compiler to the Amiga.  (One of the people who works there told
me that the compiler was useless without a hard disk, since it
required about 4 Meg for the compiler and libraries...I had to explain
that in that case I might put it in a RAM disk for speed. :-)

     However, market demand for a compiler has to show up before it
will appear on the market.  Once you start selling an Ada compiler,
figure a maintenance staff of one or two people per host forever.  In
addition, the first validation on a particular host ends up costing
about a man year above and beyond any development work.

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...