[comp.sys.amiga] RAD: and reboot

olivier@hpgnd.HP.COM (Olivier BORDES) (01/19/90)

Many users of Amiga's (500 and 2000) with the 1.3 ROM
complain about the fact that their machine will
not reboot from RAD: even though RAD: perfectly
survives the reboot.

Any similar experiences or hints ?

P.Ardichvili    ( posted by O.Bordes)

aleneis@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tony Leneis) (01/20/90)

In article <1700007@hpgnd.HP.COM> olivier@hpgnd.HP.COM (Olivier BORDES) writes:
>Many users of Amiga's (500 and 2000) with the 1.3 ROM
>complain about the fact that their machine will
>not reboot from RAD: even though RAD: perfectly
>survives the reboot.
>Any similar experiences or hints ?
>P.Ardichvili    ( posted by O.Bordes)

	If you are using arp, you need to either (a) add "BootPri = 0" to
the mountlist entry for RAD: or (b) replace the arp mount command with the
normal AmigaDOS 1.3 mount command.  Apparently arp's mount doesn't have the
same default values as its corresponding AmigaDOS command.

Tony Leneis
aleneis@hmcvax.claremont.edu
aleneis@jarthur.claremont.edu

olivier@hpgnd.HP.COM (Olivier BORDES) (01/24/90)

Autoboot from RAD:

First, thanks to all of you who posted replies to the
question:
  "Any idea why one could not reboot from a RAD: which
  has survived the reboot ?"

The final answer is:
  You MUST use the COMMODORE MOUNT command and NOT
  the ARP command.

Now, about BootPri:
  After extensive tests, I found out that the only
  significant value for BootPri in the RAD: mountlist
  entry is -129. For that value, the system will never
  reboot from RAD:. This is well explained in the
  1.3 documentation.

  For ANY other value, negative 0 or positive, or in
  the absence of the BOOTPRI line, the system will
  ALWAYS boot from RAD: if there is no disks in
  DF0: and ALWAYS boot from Disk if there is a
  bootable disk in DF0:.
  The machine is a 2000B with rev 6.0 mother board.

P.Ardichvili
Posted by O.Bordes (olivier@hpgnd.hp.com)

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (02/03/90)

In article <1700008@hpgnd.HP.COM> olivier@hpgnd.HP.COM (Olivier BORDES) writes:
>Autoboot from RAD:
>The final answer is:
>  You MUST use the COMMODORE MOUNT command and NOT
>  the ARP command.

I've been autobooting from RAD: mounted with ARP mount with no problems.
No problems, that is, once I added BootPri = 0, as someone here
suggested.  I go from 3-finger salute to completed boot in under 30
seconds.  I also got my RAD: down to about 40-50K by removing almost
everything.  I'll post a list of what's in my RAD if anyone's
interested.

This is on an A1000 with Escort hard disk and a 1M Insider.
--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp

big@shumv1.uucp (Alan Porter) (02/04/90)

In article <1319@quintus.UUCP> pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) writes:
> I also got my RAD: down to about 40-50K by removing almost
> everything.  I'll post a list of what's in my RAD if anyone's
> interested.

Please do.  A post or e-mail would be GREATLY appreciated!

    //      big@shumv1.ncsu.edu                Alan Porter
  \X/       rap@cscaza.ncsu.edu
 Amiga      Box 21536 NCSU / Raleigh, NC 27607 / (919) 737-6156

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (02/08/90)

in RAD: for transfering to harddisk boot:

    C directory:
	Mount			 5432 bytes	(Note:  NOT ARP mount)
	SetPatch		 3844 bytes
	Execute			 4712 bytes	(Note:  NOT ARP execute)

    L directory:
	FastFileSystem		12204 bytes	(No OFS partition on HD)

    DEVS directory:
	harddisk.device		 6132 bytes
	mountlist		  366 bytes	(just dh0: entry)
	system-configuration	  232 bytes

    S directory:
	startup-sequence	   87 bytes

    T directory:  empty

    FONTS directory:  empty

    LIBS directory:  empty

My rad:s/startup-sequence contains just 3 lines:
    c:SetPatch >NIL: ;patch system functions
    c:mount dh0:
    c:execute dh0:s/complete-startup

My dh0:s/complete-startup contains:

    dh0:c/realassign l: dh0:l
    dh0:c/realcd ram:
    dh0:c/bindnames system dh0:
    echo "transfered bootup to hard disk script"

    cd c:
    mount newcon: speak: aux: pip: null:

    failat 30
    assign >NIL: rad: exists
    if warn
      echo "rad: doesn't exist -- mounting"
      mount rad:
      relabel drive rad: name RAD
      if not exists rad:devs
        copy bench:admin/rad-boot/#? rad: all quiet
      endif
    endif

    failat 11

    ; personalizations, like dmouse, noclick, FF, set clock, workbench, etc.

    endcli >NIL:

My dh0:names/system (used by bindnames) looks like this:

    T:		ram:t
    ENV:	ram:env
    CLIPS:	ram:clipboards
    c:		sys:c
    l:		sys:l
    libs:	sys:libs
    s:		sys:s
    devs:	sys:devs
    fonts:	sys:fonts

    sys:	bench:

(Note:  bench: is the volume name for dh0:)

The mountlist entry for RAD: in my hard disk's mount list:

    RAD:       Device = ramdrive.device
               Unit   = 0
               Flags  = 0
               Surfaces  = 1
               BlocksPerTrack = 1
               Reserved = 2
               Interleave = 0
               LowCyl = 0  ;  HighCyl = 93
               Buffers = 5
               BufMemType = 1
               BootPri = 0
    #

NOTES:

There's some strange stuff here because I use ARP, but don't want to put
ARP.library in RAD:, and because I use Dave Haynie's bindnames.

First, the executables in RAD:c must be regular DOS versions, not ARP.

Second, the empty fonts, libs, and t directories in RAD: are there
because bindnames seems to toss its cookies if they're not there (mouse
cursor freezes).  You could replace bindnames with calls to assign, but
bindnames cleans things up a bit.

Third, dh0:c/realassign and dh0:c/realcd are the real (non-ARP) versions
of assign and cd.  What I'm doing here is making sure RAM: is available.
Unfortunately, if this isn't done, bindnames doesn't create it, and T:,
ENV:, and CLIPS: wind up not assigned.  (Dave, are you listening?  It
would be nice if bindnames could create RAM: if it doesn't exist and I'm
trying to assign something to it.  Besides this and crashing as I
mentioned above, bindnames is great.)

The reason for calling dh0:c/realassign and dh0:c/realcd is is that at
the time this is called, C:, L:, and LIBS aren't yet assigned to the hard
disk (this is done by bindnames).  Since C isn't assigned, we must
explicitly call DH0:C/whatever.  Since LIBS: isn't assigned, we can't
use ARP versions (since they can't find ARP.library).  And since L isn't
assigned, we have to assign it (because that's where Ram-Handler is,
which allows us to create RAM:).  Kind of a nuisance, isnt' it?

I have a directory dh0:admin/rad-boot which contains everything I list
above as being in rad:.  The complete-startup script copies this
directory to rad: (after mounting it), if it doesn't exist.  I also have
a floppy with exactly the same stuff on it.  I boot from this when I
shut off Ami (which I never do).

Note the BootPri entry in the mountlist entry for RAD:.  This is
necessary if you use ARP's mount to mount RAD:.

Note that the mountlist entry for RAD: is nonstandard, so I can tune its
size to exactly what is needed.  This RAD: blows ~45K, plus the device,
buffers, etc.  I'm not really sure what it adds up to.  But it does let
me boot in under 30 seconds, including a bunch of customization.  I'd
rather have autobooting, but this is a lot better than booting from a floppy.

A question for anyone who knows the answer:  do I need to do the
SETPATCH before mounting the hard disk, or could I put it off until I
transfer to the harddisk.  This would save a few more K in RAD:.

I hope I've covered everything.  Good booting to all non-autoboot
controler owners out there.

--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp