[comp.sys.amiga] WB1.4 horror stories

pfaff@mercury.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) (02/08/90)

>Also, I've heard a horror story that 1.4 will not work on the 1000?  Please
>say this is not true.  Any help would be appreciated.

Along those lines, I recently heard that WB 1.4 will not work with GVP
controller cards.  Anybody else hear this or care to comment???

Ray Pfaff
pfaff@europa.asd.contel.com

c188-aq@polonius.Berkeley.EDU (David Navas) (02/08/90)

In article <10442@baldrick.udel.EDU> pfaff@mercury.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) writes:
>>Also, I've heard a horror story that 1.4 will not work on the 1000?  Please
>>say this is not true.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Along those lines, I recently heard that WB 1.4 will not work with GVP
>controller cards.  Anybody else hear this or care to comment???
>

>Ray Pfaff
>pfaff@europa.asd.contel.com

You know, this is a funny thread:
Listen *very carefully*:
1.4 doesn't "work" period right now...  So I wouldn't worry about
what it works *on*, or *with*.

Secondly, as far as I know 1.4 will work just fine with 256K ROMs
Thirdly, it's GVP's "fault" if it doesn't work under 1.4 anyway...

I suppose the real question is whether the GVP controller *SOFTWARE*
will run under 1.4

Finally, no one that knows what the progress of 1.4 is, is going to comment,
so don't bother asking those questions -- although I'll say that a number of
us might be out of school before we see anything *new* from Commodore, but
that's just my cynical attitude.

David Navas
navas@cory.berkeley.edu

mitchell@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Evan Mitchell) (02/08/90)

In article <21871@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c188-aq@polonius.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David Navas) writes:

>Finally, no one that knows what the progress of 1.4 is, is going to comment,
>so don't bother asking those questions -- although I'll say that a number of
>us might be out of school before we see anything *new* from Commodore, but
>that's just my cynical attitude.

Hey, maybe this is just a Berkeley thing, but I agree with David.  But then
again, I'm out of school already...

I suppose things could be worse, I could own an ST...

>David Navas
>navas@cory.berkeley.edu
-Evan Jay Mitchell
 mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu

tlimonce@drunivac.drew.edu (02/08/90)

This is a big LAUGH.  You guys are really just trying to make the net
giggle, right?  Should this be in rec.humor?

In article <10442@baldrick.udel.EDU>, pfaff@mercury.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) writes:
>>Also, I've heard a horror story that 1.4 will not work on the 1000?  Please
>>say this is not true.  Any help would be appreciated.

Gee, I wonder how they did most of the original development on an
Amiga 1000?  C-A has posted on the net that 1.4 WILL WORK on
the Amiga 1000.

> Along those lines, I recently heard that WB 1.4 will not work with GVP
> controller cards.  Anybody else hear this or care to comment???

Hardware is hardware.  To make the GVP not work under 1.4 would
require C-A to remove all interupt support from the OS.  This is not
possible.  Maybe you'll need a software upgrade; but hardware is
hardware.

I guess C-A said "It's in there" so many times, that people started
to think they were saying "It's so big we're gonna force 512K ROMs on
everyone."

Personally, when 1.4 is released I'm going to catalog all the
commercial software that I use.  I'll cross off each package as I (1)
receive word that it works under 1.4  or (2) receive an upgrade.  (I
expect a lot more of #1).  When the list all crossed off, I'm going
to spend a weekend upgrading the OS, then each package.  Ta da!
(Yeah, like it'll ever be that simple :-)

--
Tom Limoncelli       The computer industry should spend more time in front of
tlimonce@drew.edu (new)         their computers.  Remember when 'Look & Feel'

bard@jessica.Stanford.EDU (David Hopper) (02/08/90)

In article <21871@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c188-aq@polonius.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David Navas) writes:

>You know, this is a funny thread:
>Listen *very carefully*:
>1.4 doesn't "work" period right now...  So I wouldn't worry about
>what it works *on*, or *with*.
>
>Finally, no one that knows what the progress of 1.4 is, is going to comment,
>so don't bother asking those questions -- although I'll say that a number of
>us might be out of school before we see anything *new* from Commodore, but
>that's just my cynical attitude.
>
>David Navas
>navas@cory.berkeley.edu

RUMOUR ALERT!!!
Au Contraire, Dave.  I've a friend who has a friend whose father is CEO of
Commodore Hong Kong, and HE says that EVERYONE at Commodore is using 1.4 on
their machines.  HE says it should be released any day now.  Please note; if
it is not obvious to anyone, this is a RUMOUR.  It should be treated as one.
However, if you have a pathological need to flame, please direct them to
r.rogue@macbeth.Stanford.EDU, since I have no MAIL.TXT.1 there.  Thank you.

--Dave (r.rogue@Stanford.EDU, bard@jessica.Stanford.EDU)

 Dave Hopper		  _____		|
 bard@jessica.Stanford.EDU   |		|  "Gee, Lion-O, I didn't know the
/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|XXXXXXI_	|   Sword could do THAT!"