[comp.sys.amiga] NewTeks' Dynamic HiRes slideshow

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (02/06/90)

In article <6587@netcom.UUCP>, barry@netcom.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
> In article <1349@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
> >I have a question though, if you are having problems with the color changes of
> >multiple objects on the same line, then why is it possible for NewTek to get
> >EXCELLENT results?  I'm refering to their Dynamic HiRes slideshow.
> >picture of the *VERY* colorful rock collection is superb.
>
> 	Just a guess, but the description of Dynamic HiRes I read said
> they were using dithering in addition to the palette changes.

I'm sure no expert on graphics but the business principles are alittle more
straight forward to me. It seems I recall somebody mentioning in the distant
past that NewTek got great results by using a $40,000 camera. For marketing
purposes this sounds like a good idea. I'm sure an implied disclaimer is
something along the lines of "Results may vary due to hardware used". As far
as I know the Surgeon General hasn't required any warnings yet!

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (02/08/90)

))	Matt Dillon's UUCP requires the NULL device which I don't have...
))	(it wasn't standard with my Amiga!).
))
))	Steve Koren's SKSH requires arp.library which I didn't have the right
))	version of (it wasn't standard with my Amiga!)
))

))That makes two really useful packages potential headaches because they
))depend on other non-standard packages that I may or may not (choose) to
))have.  I am sure that there are other examples of these kinds of things.

When I initially designed SKsh, I wanted desparately to avoid the
necessity of using Arp for the reasons you mention.  However, there
are certain capabilities provided by Arp that are simply not present
in AmigaDos in a usable manner; the one that forced me to use Arp was
command execution.  The AmigaDos method has several severe limitations
that would have prevented SKsh from existing at all.  There are rumors
that Commodore is going to fix this in 1.4 (bravo!), in which case I
may remove the Arp dependency entirely.

I'm sorry if this caused anyone any confusion; however, Arp is nearly
a de-facto standard already, and there are more rumors which claim
that Commodore may also support the arp.library in the future.

      - steve (koren@hpfela.HP.COM)