[comp.sys.amiga] Wayne Gretzky Hockey 'Stuff'

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (02/05/90)

Why do you corrupt the bandwidth such absurd statements?  I, for one, do
have this program and I re-read my manual to see if it said the same things
you said.  First of all, they are correct in saying that you do not own
the program because THEY have the copyrights... you don't.  Second, the manual
says that you are not permitted to copy and you are not to distribute it.
It also says that you may load it in ANY computer as long as it is loaded
in ONE computer at a time.  It does not say that you may not even lend
it to your friend or have him look at it.  Lastly, the manual states
that IF you DO NOT agree with the agreement, you should promtly return
everything to Bethesda and you will get your money back.

Either you misunderstood the manual or you have a different manual.

                                              Sun...

P.S. As with most of my posts, this is NOT a *flame*.  I just get a little
     bothered with people making statements that are UNTRUE and portray
     a flase image to other NET users.

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/06/90)

>It also says that you may load it in ANY computer as long as it is loaded
>in ONE computer at a time.  It does not say that you may not even lend
>it to your friend or have him look at it.  Lastly, the manual states
>that IF you DO NOT agree with the agreement, you should promtly return
>everything to Bethesda and you will get your money back.

Several states have had their supreme courts determine that such "shrink
wrap licensing agreements" are illegal.  Once you buy it, it's yours, and no
one has the right to tell you after you bought it that your rights are
restricted.

I don't have the game, so I can't look, but does the manual use the word
"non-transferable"?  That might be what was originally meant...

     /************************************************************
     * Everything above is copyright me.  All rights unreserved. *
     * uunet!tronsbox!bleys         BIX: bcavanaugh              *
     * "The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"       *
     *                              Finagle's First Law          *
     *                                 J. Pournelle              *

stephen@hpdml93.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) (02/09/90)

Bill Cavanaugh writes:
>Several states have had their supreme courts determine that such "shrink
>wrap licensing agreements" are illegal.  Once you buy it, it's yours, and no
>one has the right to tell you after you bought it that your rights are
>restricted.
>
>I don't have the game, so I can't look, but does the manual use the word
>"non-transferable"?  That might be what was originally meant...

Well, it says that you cannot sell, loan, rent, or otherwise transfer the
software, either on a short-term or long-term basis, to anyone other than
the original owner without express WRITTEN consent of Bethesda Software
Inc. (this is NOT a quote, but very close--if someone want an EXACT
quote, I will have to fetch the manual from home).  I have seen this
title in one of those "software rental" shops--seems like that would be
a direct violation (unless the shop claims that they are not the
"original owner").  This agreement doesn't seems to be binding on
pirates because they aren't the original owners, either. :-)

DISCLAIMER:  I am NOT encouraging software piracy, but I am DEFINATELY
trying to encourage software companies to quit trying to put license
agreements like this on their software.  I understand the need to
protect your software, but preventing someone from trying to sell it
when they are tired of it is REDICULOUS!!  Wayne Gretzsky Hockey
is a REALLY GOOD game; why do they have to attach crap like this to it?

|___\   /   /___| Division         \X/ Amiga        stephen@hpdmlge.boi.hp.com