[comp.sys.amiga] CSA Accelerator...the rest of the story

Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) (02/07/90)

As I remember, the miget racer useing a 7mhz 68020, so speed is not increased
much.  But, the 68020 allows a 68881 and that does help for programs that use
the math libraries.  There was a benchmark thingy in July 89 AmigaWhirled that
shows many operations SLOWER than the 68000, but turbo silver, which has a
68881 version, clocked in a little more than twice as fast.  -jim-

Jim Priestle - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!Jim.Priestle
ARPA: Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org
         //     Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway
    \  //     Dayton Ohio  (513)-252-7681
     \//               1:110/300

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (02/09/90)

In article <58.25D00280@afitamy.fidonet.org> Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) writes:
>As I remember, the miget racer useing a 7mhz 68020, so speed is not increased
>much.  But, the 68020 allows a 68881 and that does help for programs that use
>the math libraries.  There was a benchmark thingy in July 89 AmigaWhirled that
>shows many operations SLOWER than the 68000, but turbo silver, which has a
>68881 version, clocked in a little more than twice as fast.  -jim-

Thought I would comment on this as I just recently put one of these
into my amy 1000.   My configuration is:

Amy 1000	(bought Jan 1986)
CSA Midget Racer with 68020 @ 7 Mghz
68881 at 16 Mghz (seperate clock for 68881)
Supra 4x4 SCSI Interface
Microbotics Starboard II

So far no problems, after I found that I couldn't use blind
reads/writes on my hard disk anymore.

I have noticed only small improvements in 680x0 speed, mostly due
to the 256 byte instruction cache in the 68020.  This is good for
small tight loops.   However, I have been consistantly getting from
11 to 16 times the performance with the 68881.  No real hard
numbers, (ie no benchmarks), but a mandelbrot program that I wrote
took 45 minutes without the FPU, and 4 minutes with.

The only hardware mods I have had to make to get my combo to work is
I grounded the PALS just because people kept blaming them for somethings
that were obviously not.  IE I was tired of people using the PALS
as a scapegoat.   The Supra 4x4 seems to clean up the problems with
the microbotics StarBoard II fairly well.    However, I almost never
shut my machine down, but rather it is always running.

My conclusion is, the CSA seems to work quite well with *my* system.
The FPU is fantastic.   Lattice C 5.0.2 (basicaly the 5.0 with bug fixes)
generates the FPU code (-f8 option) and seems to work just fine.

Just FYI.

brian moffet