[comp.sys.amiga] Mythological software ?

wilde@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) (02/08/90)

In article <57054@ccicpg.UUCP> garth@ccicpg.UUCP (Garth Armover acct) writes:

>Could someone please e-mail a copy of the patch that fixes the bug in Intuition
>which rears its head when you flip between an interlace screen and a
>non-interlace screen. I don't have access to any ftp sites. I believe the
>name of the program is FixIntuition or something close to it.
>Thanks in advance for your help.

Does anyone out ther actually HAVE this thing running on their system ?
I've been trying to track it down for quite a while now.. Personally, I don't
think it really exists - the only responses I've ever got to questions of
this sort are "Well, I've never actually seen it, but I heard..."

If you do have this mythological beast caged and cornered, PLEASE consider
posting it to comp.binaries.amiga - there seem to be a fair number of us
who'd like to get a hold of it..

If you can't post it, tell me where to ftp it, I'll ftp it and send it to
the fellow quoted above.

-Nick Wilde (wilde@boulder.colorado.edu)

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (02/09/90)

In article <16715@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wilde@tigger.colorado.edu (Nick Wilde) writes:
>In article <57054@ccicpg.UUCP> garth@ccicpg.UUCP (Garth Armover acct) writes:
>Does anyone out ther actually HAVE this thing running on their system ?
>I've been trying to track it down for quite a while now.. Personally, I don't
>think it really exists - the only responses I've ever got to questions of
>this sort are "Well, I've never actually seen it, but I heard..."

I'll check where I have it and see if I can mail it to you UUENCODED or post
it.

+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| John A. Dutka     | WSU Term #10: Linear Momentum.  Unit: The CowHit (CH): |
| Box 2308          | 1 CH = the linear momentum of the average cow.         |
| 100 Institute Rd. |      = m*x/[m(c)*l(c)*t(c)]                            |
| 01609-2280    | jdutka@wpi.bitnet jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu  husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka |
+---------------+------------------------------------------------------------+

ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) (02/09/90)

In article <16715@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wilde@tigger.colorado.edu (Nick Wilde) writes:
>Does anyone out ther actually HAVE this thing running on their system ?
>I've been trying to track it down for quite a while now.. Personally, I don't
>think it really exists - the only responses I've ever got to questions of
>this sort are "Well, I've never actually seen it, but I heard..."

   You POOR DEVIL!!!!  I've been using it for the past 9 months.
Come to think about it, I don't recall where I got it from!  (BBS
in LA area somewhere.)   Anyways, I'll uuencode and put it up
if no one beats me to it (Right Chris Brand????---took a month
for me to get Fix that poor guy in Switzerland)...

 And YESSSS it DOES WORK!!!! No more screen lockups!

                               -Viet
                                vho@ucsd.edu

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (02/09/90)

)
)If you do have this mythological beast caged and cornered, PLEASE consider
)posting it to comp.binaries.amiga - there seem to be a fair number of us
)who'd like to get a hold of it..

FixIntuition is a horrible hack that somebody on bix wrote based on
a suggestion of mine.  I don't have a copy of the program, but I
can make the suggestion again.

The problem of screen copper lists not being remade for global view
interlace changes can be reduced (note the key word there) if completely
obscured (VP_HIDE) screens have their viewport DyOffset set to an
impossible value.  0 works.  Then, when the screen is brought to the
front, even if Intuition misses the test for remaking copper lists because
of interlace changes, it will catch the test for size changes and remake
the screens copper lists.  (It also recalculates DyOffset, so don't worry ;^)

Walking the screen or viewport list must be protected, and contrary to
one suggestion I made, there is no magic value that can be passed to
LockIBase() to insure this protection.  The best you can do is
Forbid(), which--coincidentally--doesn't appear to leave a window
of vulnerability.  (Yes, V.P., it's a nasty thing to have to do  ...)

There is also no reasonable trigger to initiate your processing, so
you probably have to do it on a timer.  The question then is "how often,"
since the processing is obnoxious, but the window between passes
is exactly when you can crash the system by bringing a screen to front
(twice).

*CLEARLY* this technique should not be part of an application or utility,
but only as a standalone patch, or at best as part of a patch suite
with default value OFF.  Any implementation should also manaully
check for Intuition library version < 36, since the problem is fixed in V36.

I apologize for not producing the program myself, but we did want
to avoid little nasties like this in V36, didn't we?  So, back to it.

	jimm

--
--------------------------------------------------	- opinions by me
"This voice console is a *must*.  I press Execute.

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (02/09/90)

I wrote the fixintuition patch and posted it to bix a while back
Here is the source for lattice c

------------
#include <proto/exec.h>
#include <exec/libraries.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <proto/dos.h>
#include <proto/intuition.h> /* be sure LockIBase, UnlockIBase, ViewAddress */
#include <intuition/intuitionbase.h>
#include <graphics/view.h>

/*  Written by W. Roger Uzun with tech guidance by jmackraz on bix *

void main(void);

void main()
{
 ULONG lock;
 struct View *view;
 struct ViewPort *vp;

  if (!(IntuitionBase =
   (struct IntuitionBase *)OpenLibrary("intuition.library",33L)))
    {
     exit(0);
    }
  if (IntuitionBase->LibNode.lib_Version > 35)
   {
    CloseLibrary((struct Library *)IntuitionBase);
    exit(0);
   }
  while(1)
   {
    lock = LockIBase( 4L );
    view = ViewAddress();
    for(vp=view->ViewPort;vp;vp = vp->Next)
     if (vp->Modes & VP_HIDE) vp->DHeight = 0;
    UnlockIBase(lock);
    Delay(15L);
   }
}

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com