[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Binaries

armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) (01/02/89)

To whomever moderates the comp.binaries.amiga newsgroup:
Please include in the header file what kind of requirements are needed
to run the prg, such as memory expansion, needed tools, etc. It's
really a pain in the a** to spend all day downloading a long file only
to find that you can't run it on your system! Also, a simultaneous posting
to comp.sys.amiga describing the file would be helpful (usually this
IS done, thanks!)
Thank you,
-GEA

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (01/02/89)

I would suggest that the authors submit a file to include in the
package describing system requirements (gee, a read.me?) and also
include a short article which can be posted to comp.sys.amiga by
the moderators.  The moderators probably have plenty to do without
trying to explain someone else's program.  I'd rather have them
post more good stuff.  :-)  Thanks guys.

csoc@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (Computer Society) (10/19/89)

Can anybody tell me if there exists a binaries newsgroup for the Amiga
along the lines of the one available for the ST. The reason I ask is
that I am the president of a university Computing Society and we have
two groups of 16-bit users, some Amiga and some ST (some both as
well). The ST owners (myself included) are well served as regards
downloadable software on the net, but I haven't seen any equivalents
for the Amiga.

Repies by e-mail please.

|     The University Of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne Computer Society         |
|                     EMAIL: csoc@uk.ac.newcastle                    |

page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (10/20/89)

csoc@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (Computer Society) wrote:
>Can anybody tell me if there exists a binaries newsgroup for the Amiga

Yes, it's called comp.binaries.amiga.  There's a sources newsgroup
called comp.sources.amiga.

>ST owners (myself included) are well served as regards downloadable
>software on the net, but I haven't seen any equivalents for the Amiga.

That's because the moderator hasn't been doing a very good job of
posting the submitted code.  The Amiga community needs a FAST, RELIABLE
moderator, so I had a long talk with him today and convinved him that
one-day turnaround (in a standard file format) was ESSENTIAL.  He agreed;
said he'd repent and turn over the new leaf today (Thursday).

I just checked our machine and see that Sources and Binaries are back!
It's about time.  Let's keep on his case and make sure he sticks to
his promise.

..bob

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (10/21/89)

In article <126585@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> page@sun.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
>csoc@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (Computer Society) wrote:

[A discussion on "is there a binaries/sources group" deleted]

>That's because the moderator hasn't been doing a very good job of
>posting the submitted code.  The Amiga community needs a FAST, RELIABLE
>moderator, so I had a long talk with him today and convinved him that
>one-day turnaround (in a standard file format) was ESSENTIAL.  He agreed;
>said he'd repent and turn over the new leaf today (Thursday).

I think that ever since the quake, Bob has developed a split personality.
;-)

>I just checked our machine and see that Sources and Binaries are back!
>It's about time.  Let's keep on his case and make sure he sticks to
>his promise.

Yes, lets do that. For those of you that don't know, Bob IS the moderator
of comp.binaries/sources.amiga. It's always amusing when someone flames
himself publicly, don't you think?

Well, I was amused :-)

>..bob

---
Steve -Raz- Berry     Disclaimer: It wasn't me! I was volatilizing my esters.
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                   ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com
KILOWATT: sun!kilowatt!archive-server    archive-server%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com

alt@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (art.l.todesco) (02/09/90)

Are binaries for the Amiga posted to the net like those in comp.binaries.ibm.pc?

Art Todesco
att!ihlpf!alt

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/10/90)

In article <13102@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> alt@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (art.l.todesco) writes:
> Are binaries for the Amiga posted to the net like those in
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc?

If binaries are submitted, they appear in comp.binaries.amiga.
However, not all submissions come with binaries...

	...tad