[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 upgrade

acs@amdahl.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (09/25/87)

I'm considering just going with the 2000-and-1 instead of trading in my
A1000.  If I do this, how do I go about getting the A2000 WB legally?  Is
the 2000's KS the same as the 1000's?  If not, how does one get the A2000
version on floppy?
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (09/29/87)

In article <15045@amdahl.amdahl.com> acs@amdahl.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) writes:
>I'm considering just going with the 2000-and-1 instead of trading in my
>A1000.  If I do this, how do I go about getting the A2000 WB legally?  Is
>the 2000's KS the same as the 1000's?  If not, how does one get the A2000
>version on floppy?

   The Kickstart in the A500/A2000 ROM is exactly the same as the A1000
Kickstart disk.  The A500/A2000 Workbench disk has new keymaps which
decode the additional keys on the A500/A2000 keyboards, and some new
commands which address A500/A2000-specific things:  SetClock for our
battery-backed clock, NoFastMem because we sell/supply fast mem for
these two machines, SlowMemLast to swap our internal $C00000 "slow-fast"
mem to the end of the memlist, etc.  At this time, we do not sell
the A500/A2000 Workbench disk by itself since for the most part, none
of the new stuff on it is relevant to a stock A1000.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

denbeste@spdcc.COM (Steven Den Beste) (02/07/90)

My local dealer here, Memory Location in Wellesley (a good bunch, by the way),
says that the deal is that an A1000 is worth $1000 off the LIST price of any
2000 package.

Someone here asked for a policy announcement about future software
compatibility for the 1000. I think you just got it.

I personally intend to jump at this offer, either Friday night or Saturday
morning.

I would strongly advise ALL 1000 owners to either trade up or down. Let's not
hear a lot of bitching and moaning about "The bastards orphaned our 1000's" in
about a year, OK? They're leaning over backwards to help you out. It's your own
fault if you don't take this offer now.

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/07/90)

steven> I would strongly advise ALL 1000 owners to either trade up or down. Let's not
steven> hear a lot of bitching and moaning about "The bastards orphaned our 1000's" in
steven> about a year, OK? They're leaning over backwards to help you out. It's your own
steven> fault if you don't take this offer now.

That's your opinion.

I perfectly expect the A1000 to be orphaned hardware-wise by
Commodore.  If C= is offering the trade in because the ECS won't work
in a stock A1000, that's a perfectly acceptable option to me, because
I'm not interested in the upgrade.

I don't need video toasters, DMA-driven hard disk controllers, and IBM
PC's in a window.  I don't need an A2000-series machine.

My A1000 has a detachable keyboard, a beefy power supply, and an
ergonomic design.   I don't want an A500.

However, if Commodore is orphaning the A1000 because they don't intend
to support V1.4 on it, then I do have some complaints.  There is no
technical reason why 1.4 cannot run on the A1000, even if it were to
live in 512K ROM on the 500 and 2000.  Given how easy it is to
maintain OS compatibility among the machines, it doesn't make sense to
orphan the machine's OS, even if they do offer a chance to trade up.

So far, Commodore has not made a statement on whether or not 1.4 will
be officially supported on the A1000, so I cannot decide whether or
not the trade-up is worth it *for me*.  I personally have better
things to do with $1000 than spend it upgrading to a machine which
essentially does the same thing as the machine I've owned for the past
three years, with added expandability that I don't need, just for the
sake of being able to run the next OS release.

				--M
--
__  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
\/  portuesi@sgi.com	Entry Systems Division -- Engineering

    "It's gilt-edged and glamorous, and sleek by design
     You know it's jealous by nature, false and unkind"

dueker@xenon.arc.nasa.gov (Chris Dueker) (02/08/90)

In article <PORTUESI.90Feb7102726@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>, portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes...

>So far, Commodore has not made a statement on whether or not 1.4 will
>be officially supported on the A1000, so I cannot decide whether or
>not the trade-up is worth it *for me*.  I personally have better
>things to do with $1000 than spend it upgrading to a machine which
>essentially does the same thing as the machine I've owned for the past
>three years, with added expandability that I don't need, just for the
>sake of being able to run the next OS release.

Hear! Hear!

"Ah, Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intellegence!"
"Oh, thank you, Master!"             - from the movie, TIME BANDITS
dueker@xenon.arc.nasa.gov        |   Chris Dueker (The Code Slinger)
dueker%xen@ames.arc.nasa.gov     |   Computer Sciences Corp.
dueker@xen.span.nasa.gov         |   Mtn. View, CA
dueker@128.102.28.26             |
dueker%24615.hepnet@lbl.gov      |
duke@well.sf.ca.us               |

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (02/08/90)

In article <1560@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> denbeste@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steven Den Beste) writes:
>Someone here asked for a policy announcement about future software
>compatibility for the 1000. I think you just got it.

Gads, another 'GURU' offering his .02 with nothing more than the trade in
offer to back him up.  Well, I shall just sit back and wait for 1)An official
announcent from C= or 2)My developer friend to recieve DEFINITE notice one
way or another... Otherwise I EXPECT that 1.4 will be supported on the 1000
heck the Alpha's of WB 1.4 only RUN on a 1000, seeing how the Roms have NOT
been burned, cuz of course it tis an Alpha/Beta/etc. NOT FINALIZED
(By WB 1.4, I mean the ENTIRE package, KS+WB..  of course the WB will boot
on any KS 1.X machine...)

>I personally intend to jump at this offer, either Friday night or Saturday
>morning.

Gee, am glad you have another $1000+ to spend, as of NOW, I am still a
student and can NOT even afford to even THINK of the student discounts, why
well, you see I have spent, lemme add this up, approx: $2500+ on my current
Amiga 1000 setup (which includes SEVERAL periphs. that I will NOT give up.)
add to this the other assorted bills.. well, no thanks, just support the
machine I already paid for thank you...

>I would strongly advise ALL 1000 owners to either trade up or down. Let's not
>hear a lot of bitching and moaning about "The bastards orphaned our 1000's" in
>about a year, OK? They're leaning over backwards to help you out. It's your own
>fault if you don't take this offer now.

Gee, my own fault I am paying for my college education, my girlfriends wedding
and engagement rings (soon to be engaged....) also my own fault for NOT
wanting to upgrade cuz I do *NOT* like the way the 'new' Amiga's look?  My
fault for preferring the keyboard that was original?  Gads, I guess I should
have not bought anything, then I would never have had to EXPECT/DEMAND
support from a company that I own *STOCK* in....  gee, might have to take
that up in a letter to C= .....

Well, as you can see, I have MY opinions, I know things change, but if
they DO, I better hear about it offically BEFORE 1.4 comes out, none
of this "whoops, you own a 1000, that will NOT work on your machine... what
you like your 1000, too bad, buy a new one..."  Naaah, right about then I
would start to bitch....  but WITH good cause...  If C= is NOT going to
support us (As long as possible I know...) and/or neglect to mention when
support is being dropped....  well, that will tell me whether or not I
wish to SUPPORT THEM, by buying anything ELSE from them (how many 1000
owners out there?  I think THAT might get sombodies attention....)

Enough, back to 'status quo'..

                                  David C. Powell
                                  M.I.S. Senior
                                  Ball State University
                                  Muncie, Indiana

*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
| /\etwnk Industries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*

tj@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (02/09/90)

In article <10734@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) writes:
< In article <1560@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> denbeste@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steven Den Beste) writes:
< wanting to upgrade cuz I do *NOT* like the way the 'new' Amiga's look?  My
< fault for preferring the keyboard that was original?

	I've often wondered why more people haven't mentioned the
poor looks of the 2000.  In my opinion it is an excessively ugly
machine.  (I own one so I think I'm entitled to say this.)  The MacII
family looks sharp, the Next looks sharp, but the 2000 is just plain ugly.
The 1000 does look better and the keyboard is much better
because it is an appropriate size for a keyboard.  I think the designers
of the 2000 had keyboard envy since there is absolutely no reason for
the keyboard to be as big as it is.  I've got a very large desk, but
the 2000 + keyboard + mouspad takes up most of it.  Furthermore, the
mouse has to sit about foot away from my right hand because the
keyboard is so long.  So does anyone know how to connect a medium
sized Mac keyboard or a Next keyboard to an Amiga?  Better yet,
Commodore should give us a choice by offering several different styles
of keyboards.  And hopefully the 3000 will get a well deserved
face-lift.

	These might sound like minor complaints, but I bet they have
affected sales.  First impressions are important especially to the
average computer buyer.  And no one wants an ugly computer on their desk.

	---Todd

-=-
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu
Laboratory for AI Research
The Ohio State University

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/09/90)

In article <PORTUESI.90Feb7102726@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>So far, Commodore has not made a statement on whether or not 1.4 will
>be officially supported on the A1000....

	CBM CATS people have stated several times in this newsgroup that
1.4 WILL run on the A1000.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (02/09/90)

In article <1560@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> denbeste@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steven Den Beste) writes:
|My local dealer here, Memory Location in Wellesley (a good bunch, by the way),
|says that the deal is that an A1000 is worth $1000 off the LIST price of any
|2000 package.
|
|Someone here asked for a policy announcement about future software
|compatibility for the 1000. I think you just got it.
|
|I personally intend to jump at this offer, either Friday night or Saturday
|morning.
|
|I would strongly advise ALL 1000 owners to either trade up or down. Let's not
|hear a lot of bitching and moaning about "The bastards orphaned our 1000's" in
|about a year, OK? They're leaning over backwards to help you out. It's your own
|fault if you don't take this offer now.

	The question is, what will become of
	all those A1000's whch C= picks up
	from these deals?

	In some ways the A1000 is a superior
	beastie, and with the Rejuvenator plus
	other nice doodads (both present and
	soon forthcoming) will continue to be
	able to hold its own in the Amiga
	hardware world. I will hope to be able
	to boot Amix on mine sometime this year
	if I add on the proper aforementioned
	doodads...

	I believe C= has said that they will
	continue to offer software support for
	the 1000 through at least release 1.4,
	so relax. They still continue to support
	the Sidecar as well...

Cheers,
--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/10/90)

>Item: 4664 by *Masked* at spdcc.COM

>Someone here asked for a policy announcement about future software
>compatibility for the 1000. I think you just got it.

Not true -- they did it before . I will wait for a REAL announcement.

>I personally intend to jump at this offer, either Friday night or Saturday
>morning.

Great -- glad to hear it.

What peripherials do you have for your 1000 ??? (It is apparent to me that
in 90% of the cases those that upgrade for "expandability" reasons haven't
expanded the one they have.

>I would strongly advise ALL 1000 owners to either trade up or down. Let's not
>hear a lot of bitching and moaning about "The bastards orphaned our 1000's" in
>about a year, OK? They're leaning over backwards to help you out. It's your

I wont , and havent ever bitched.

But in about a year , I will either be running a '030 or '040 (wish) Amiga
running UNIX or I will be buying a 486.  Look , except for expandability
(which I have already done) and the ECS (wich I am not impressed by) the
2000 gives me >0< in the way of extra power.

I will wait ofr a MAJOR change to happen , (2500UX , 3000) before I buy
another Amiga because only THEN will it be a upgrade. And I'll keep my 1000
when I do.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

scott@wilbur.uucp (Scott Beckstead) (02/10/90)

In article <10734@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) writes:
>In article <1560@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> denbeste@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steven Den Beste) writes:
>>Someone here asked for a policy announcement about future software
>>compatibility for the 1000. I think you just got it.
>>
>Gads, another 'GURU' offering his .02 with nothing more than the trade in

<good points removed>

>>I personally intend to jump at this offer, either Friday night or Saturday
>>morning.
>>
>Gee, am glad you have another $1000+ to spend, as of NOW, I am still a
>student and can NOT even afford to even THINK of the student discounts, why
>well, you see I have spent, lemme add this up, approx: $2500+ on my current
>Amiga 1000 setup (which includes SEVERAL periphs. that I will NOT give up.)
>add to this the other assorted bills.. well, no thanks, just support the
>machine I already paid for thank you...
>
>>I would strongly advise ALL 1000 owners to either trade up or down. Let's not
>>hear a lot of bitching and moaning about "The bastards orphaned our 1000's" in
>>about a year, OK? They're leaning over backwards to help you out. It's your own
>>fault if you don't take this offer now.
>>
>Gee, my own fault I am paying for my college education, my girlfriends wedding
>and engagement rings (soon to be engaged....) also my own fault for NOT
>wanting to upgrade cuz I do *NOT* like the way the 'new' Amiga's look?  My
>fault for preferring the keyboard that was original?  Gads, I guess I should
>have not bought anything, then I would never have had to EXPECT/DEMAND
>support from a company that I own *STOCK* in....  gee, might have to take
>that up in a letter to C= .....
>
>Well, as you can see, I have MY opinions, I know things change, but if
>they DO, I better hear about it offically BEFORE 1.4 comes out, none
>of this "whoops, you own a 1000, that will NOT work on your machine... what
>you like your 1000, too bad, buy a new one..."  Naaah, right about then I
>would start to bitch....  but WITH good cause...  If C= is NOT going to
>support us (As long as possible I know...) and/or neglect to mention when
>support is being dropped....  well, that will tell me whether or not I
>wish to SUPPORT THEM, by buying anything ELSE from them (how many 1000
>owners out there?  I think THAT might get sombodies attention....)
>
>Enough, back to 'status quo'..
>

>                                  David C. Powell

  HEAR HEAR!  I am paying for my wifes education and a son where ya gonna
get an extra grand??  I put a lot of money over time into this machine
and I don't intend to just say "Oh well!" and toss half of it out.
Scott

--
Scott Beckstead      | Sew Crates was a grate greek.
CIS 76106,3720       |     Dang that one got right by the spelling checker