[comp.sys.amiga] Is Postscript worth it?

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) (01/25/90)

Is it really worth it to buy a Postscript laser printer?
I'm looking into buying a laser, but I'm uneasy about spending
twice as much for a postscript laser as for a HP emulation
type.  I do desktop publishing for research papers and wordprocessing.
How about some laser printer recommendations?

                  - Bear

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/02/90)

>Since you're concerned about price, you may want to look into one of the
>software Postscript interpreters on the market.  These programs basically
>turn any printer into a Postscript printer.  So, for the price of the
>software and an HP LaserJet compatible laser printer, you can effectively
>have a postscript printer, for far less than the cost of a normal Postscript

Dont forget that you will need MAJOR ram in the laser printer as well.

Laser printers are one shotr , they NEED to have ALL the data in local RAM
to print a page. SO... a 300 dpi printer needs MEGS of ram to do 300dpi
output , 512 wont do it.  Tne you need the SAME amount of ram free in the
Amiga (it build the image in its ram , blast it to the printer , then the
printer prints it.

Actually , if you are buying an engine to do SOFTWARE postscript with , get
the HP DeskJetII .. as a mechanical printer it does NOT need that data all
at once bt can be fed line by line. THAT WAY , you dont need lots of ram in
the printer , and you can get one at 699$ .. the output is 300dpi so it
looks good.

BOTTOM line, get a postscript printer or a Deskjet and emulator.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (02/04/90)

In article <25c8eb95:4147.6comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP>, tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
> >Since you're concerned about price, you may want to look into one of the
> >software Postscript interpreters on the market.  These programs basically
> >turn any printer into a Postscript printer.  So, for the price of the

[discussion of laser printers needing RAM to work with deleted]

> Actually , if you are buying an engine to do SOFTWARE postscript with , get
> the HP DeskJetII .. as a mechanical printer it does NOT need that data all
> at once bt can be fed line by line. THAT WAY , you dont need lots of ram in
> the printer , and you can get one at 699$ .. the output is 300dpi so it
> looks good.
>
> BOTTOM line, get a postscript printer or a Deskjet and emulator.

I would concur, except to say that the new DeskJet is called the
"Plus" instead of the "II."  For someone who's not in a super
hurry it's a wonderful way to get cheap PostScript.

Just FYI, I'll describe my own setup.  I send ProWrite output
through ProScript to turn it into Postscript; along the way you
can include Amiga bitmap fonts (which, if handled right, can look
really good.)  Then I send the result to my DeskJet (not a Plus)
via PixelScript.  There are optimized drivers for the DeskJet and
LaserJet, BTW.  The PixelScript fonts (basic set is clones of
Times and Helvetica) are quite nice, and they've improved them
tremendously.  They're still just a teeny bit on the thick/bold
side.  And - since I include bitmap fonts, I wait 10 minutes for
every page.  The process is driven by the Amiga (mine's a 1000)
and you can multitask, although other processes requiring
massive math calculations aren't recommended. ;^)

If somebody knows whether there's a significant speedup with
PixelScript using a 68020 or 68030 setup, I'd be interested.

I am a satisfied customer; I've found both New Horizons and
Pixelations to be really helpful folks.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Robin LaPasha               |Deep-Six your

Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) (02/10/90)

I hope you recieve this.  None of my messages seem to be getting responses.
Anyway, I keep reading about the Compugraphic Characters with ProPage.  Is
this a cheaper alternative to Postscript.  And how do they compare.  Also, You
mention software postscript interpreters.  Where?  This is new to me.  Thanks
for any info you can provide (I hate spending a lot of money when I'm ignorant
about a paticular matter!)  -jim-

Jim Priestle - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!Jim.Priestle
ARPA: Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org
         //     Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway
    \ //     Dayton Ohio  (513)-252-7681