[comp.sys.amiga] Line editors - Commodore's own "c:ed"

sutton@whelk.cis.ohio-state.edu (roy a sutton) (02/10/90)

This question is directed toward someone at Commodore  or  anyone
who knows why the "ed" line editor opens it own window.  The edi-
tor would be more versatile if it would  work  with  the  calling
window  if  one exists -- like sys:utilities/more... and opened a
custom window only if it were "run" (ie run c:ed).

My question: Is there a version of c:ed  that  works  within  the
calling  window  as  stated above?  Or is the source available so
that this modification can be  made?  Or  can  someone  recommend
another  line editor (other that the vi compatibles) that work or
could be modified to work this way? Has  anyone  modified  a  new
version of emacs?

*****

I know that I am not alone in realizing the utility of  accessing
AmigaDOS  via  a terminal connected to the serial port.  Will the
veterans let me in on their solutions!

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (02/11/90)

In article <76879@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, sutton@whelk.cis.ohio-state.edu (roy a sutton) writes:
> This question is directed toward someone at Commodore  or  anyone
> who knows why the "ed" line editor opens it own window.  The edi-
***
Actually "edit" is the line editor.  "ed" is a *screen* editor.
***
> tor would be more versatile if it would  work  with  the  calling
> window  if  one exists -- like sys:utilities/more... and opened a
***
"Commodore's "more" does at least give the appearance of "taking over"
the window of the shell in which it is called.  That is, it appears to be
doing more than merely accessing "stdin", "stdout", and "stderr".
It is a little difficult to take over the shell window in which you are
called because you need to do gymnastics to find the pointer to that
window.  So in some sense you are fighting the system when you do it.
At the very least you are taking over something that really isn't yours.
***
> custom window only if it were "run" (ie run c:ed).
>
> My question: Is there a version of c:ed  that  works  within  the
> calling  window  as  stated above?  Or is the source available so
***
There is a program called "ked" that is an Amiga version of Unix "ed".
It does appear to run within its parent shell window.  It was included
in the "RCS" release by Ray Brand and Rick Schaefer and may be found on
a Fish Disk somewhere around 280.  I cannot say whether it can be run
"remotely".
William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
wfh58@leah.albany.edu                wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet