[comp.sys.amiga] Xenix on an A2286

mconstable@peg.UUCP (01/24/90)

An attempt to run Xenix on a BridgeBoard. So far...

I have an A2286 with a GVP halfcard and Quantum drive on the Amiga side,
and can boot of drive `c:' for MS-DOS after issuing `BindDrivers', and
`Run pc/PCWindow color' to see what's going on. Everything works fine.
My first attempt to boot straight from a Xenix disk gave a `boot failure'
response and system clearly at this stage expects an MS-DOS bootblock.
Renamed `pc/system/PC.boot' to `pc/system/xPC.boot' and rebooted the
Amiga for a clean `BindDrivers' attempt with the Xenix `N1' in `a:'.
To my delight I saw the Xenix `Boot' prompt and typed in `Install' to
which it responded with :-

fd(52) xenix root=fd(40) swap=ram(41) pipe=ram(40) swaplo=0 nswap=0

It then displayed a Xenix copyright screen and went into its A-Z test
where it stopped at `Q' (???). I suspect not finding the hard drive is
its problem (one of them at least) and having a controller and drive
straight of the A2286 would prove more fruitful, I know, but it would
be NICE if...can anyone help?

I've asked before but will try again, does anybody know a way of getting
more direct control of inter Amiga-A2286 communication, ie: I would
like to be able to auto execute (launch) a batch file on the Bridgeboard
from a shell on the Amiga side or vice-versa, preferably without even
running PCWindow first (for background tasks). Eventually I'll resort
to getting a serial card for the A2286 and cabling messages through,
but that seems ridiculous when they're both in th same box.

Misc. Queries:-  Anyone know about these?

                 sys:pc/services/autoload
                 ZaphodServiceTask
                 LPT1.jserver

fozzy@bhpese.oz.au (Andrew Steele) (02/08/90)

mconstable@peg.UUCP writes:
>An attempt to run Xenix on a BridgeBoard. So far...

[stuff about trying to get Xenix going on a bridgeboard]

>Misc. Queries:-  Anyone know about these?

>                 sys:pc/services/autoload
>                 ZaphodServiceTask
                  ^^^^^^
>                 LPT1.jserver

Zaphod was the original name that I believe the engineers at Commodore were
going to give to the bridgeboard stuff instead of Janus. I assume that
marketing had other ideas so Janus won out, but in places where people
normally wouldn't see it they stuck with the name Zaphod. Basically its
the task on the amiga side that does the talking to the dual ported RAM.

For those of you who've forgotten (or missed that part of your cultural
upbringing :-) ), Zaphod Beeblebrots (sp?) was the guy in "Hitch Hikers
Guide to the Galaxy" who decided that he'd change his appearance by getting
and extra head and arm.

LPT1.jerver is the program that allows the PC to use the amiga's printer.

--
Andrew Steele                                Computer Services,
ACSnet  : andrew@bhpese.oz                   BHP Rod & Bar Products Division,

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (02/08/90)

In article <1990Feb8.005754.1958@bhpese.oz.au> fozzy@bhpese.oz.au (Andrew Steele) writes:

> For those of you who've forgotten (or missed that part of your cultural
> upbringing :-) ), Zaphod Beeblebrots (sp?)

Beeblebrox

> was the guy in "Hitch Hikers
> Guide to the Galaxy" who decided that he'd change his appearance by getting
> and extra head and arm.

(OBTW, Boston Compact Disc here takes special orders for the BBC 6 CD
set of the original radio shows.)
Marketeers just have no sense of humour. Zaphod is obviously more
appropriate, since Janus implies some sort of symmetry.
--
-Frank Cunningham   smart: fc@lexicon.com	phone: (617) 891-6790
		    dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc

fozzy@bhpese.oz.au (Andrew Steele) (02/12/90)

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) writes:

>In article <1990Feb8.005754.1958@bhpese.oz.au> fozzy@bhpese.oz.au (Andrew Steele) writes:

>> For those of you who've forgotten (or missed that part of your cultural
>> upbringing :-) ), Zaphod Beeblebrots (sp?)

>(OBTW, Boston Compact Disc here takes special orders for the BBC 6 CD
>set of the original radio shows.)

Could someone send me some more info on this please.

>Marketeers just have no sense of humour. Zaphod is obviously more
>appropriate, since Janus implies some sort of symmetry.

The original reason I heard was that in Greek mythology Janus had two heads
( which by now we are all aware of :-) ), but the rest of the story is that
one of the heads looked to the future and one head looked into the past.
Calling it a Janus card/software/etc. was actually a suttle dig at IBM
because the Janus stuff could look into the past (IBM) and into the future
(Amiga).