[comp.sys.amiga] Terminal Emulator in Window

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) (02/09/90)

Hello!  I have looked around, but I can't seem to find a terminal
emulator that will allow you to call it up within a window.  Is this
possible, and has anyone done it?  Ideally, I would wish to be able
to dial in to a mainframe in a half-sized window, and be able to
simultaneously be editing or such in another window I called up.
All the term-ems I've tried can be sent fron-to-back but cannot
be scaled down to coexist with the workbench.
  Any ideas?

Oh, I forgot.  It wouldn't have to be anything special, nor have any
transfer protocols.

Thank you!
------------
Sandy Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...
antunes@astro.psu.edu                 Penn State Astronomy Dept
--- "once in a lifetime there comes a time... but this ain't it" ---

In article <9002090329.AA21631@astro.psu.edu> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:
|Hello!  I have looked around, but I can't seem to find a terminal
|emulator that will allow you to call it up within a window.  Is this
|possible, and has anyone done it?  Ideally, I would wish to be able
|to dial in to a mainframe in a half-sized window, and be able to
|simultaneously be editing or such in another window I called up.
|All the term-ems I've tried can be sent fron-to-back but cannot
|be scaled down to coexist with the workbench.
|  Any ideas?

A-Talk III works just fine with Workbench windows. In fact at each resize it
will recompute the no. cols and no. of rows, so if you are running under UNIX
you could write a new termcap/terminfo that uses, for example, a 60x10
characters window and run emacs on it.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

cs121jj@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/09/90)

Have you given any though to running Dnet?  It's great for taking full power
of the Amiga and your modem.  I still can't figure out what's wrong with
my system (I run WShell and have some problems with it---kinda major problems)
and would LOVE to be able to run it.

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (James Treworgy) (02/09/90)

In article <22776@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> In article <9002090329.AA21631@astro.psu.edu> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:
> |Hello!  I have looked around, but I can't seem to find a terminal
> |emulator that will allow you to call it up within a window.  Is this
> |possible, and has anyone done it?  Ideally, I would wish to be able
> |to dial in to a mainframe in a half-sized window, and be able to
> |simultaneously be editing or such in another window I called up.
> |All the term-ems I've tried can be sent fron-to-back but cannot
> |be scaled down to coexist with the workbench.
> |  Any ideas?
>
> A-Talk III works just fine with Workbench windows. In fact at each resize it
> will recompute the no. cols and no. of rows, so if you are running under UNIX
> you could write a new termcap/terminfo that uses, for example, a 60x10
> characters window and run emacs on it.

ONLINE! lets you use a window (commercial), and I am pretty sure VLT does too.
(I prefer a separate screen, though).
--
James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET

unland@cbmvax.commodore.com (Rick Unland - Special Projects) (02/10/90)

 I suggest you check out Atalk3, Not only does it have a facility to open in a
window on the workbench but it has all the special features that are not a
requirement but a blessing.  I loves it.

Try it you'll like it.

Plus if you have a problem Marco the author is right here on usenet.

Rick

--
************ Rick Unland Commodore International LTD ***************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (02/11/90)

[]

VT100 rev 2.9 is my favorite.  It will open a window on workbench
sized 'your way' or it will open a full size window of whatever size
your workbench screen is or it will open a custom screen.  Your
choice.  If you are familiar with VLT, VT100 is quite similar since
VLT is a rewrite of VT100 rev 2.7 with extra features to make it
easier for use with mainframes at Stanford Linear Accelerator.  I
prefer VT100 rev 2.9 because it has a full bidirectional ARExx port.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com    (ps...it is PD)

vmr@psuhcx.psu.edu (Victor M. Ricker) (02/12/90)

In article <26807@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:

>VT100 rev 2.9 is my favorite.  It will open a window on workbench
>sized 'your way' or it will open a full size window of whatever size
>your workbench screen is or it will open a custom screen.  Your
>[Removed...]
>prefer VT100 rev 2.9 because it has a full bidirectional ARExx port.
>
>Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com    (ps...it is PD)

Say, is there a way to get vt100 v2.9 to use a 25 line screen without
interlace?  24 lines is fine for Unix but on PSU's VM/CMS machines I
need 25 lines.  This is the only thing keeping me from switching..  I
really would like to be able to use ARexx... But I'll have to stick
with v2.8 till I can figure out how to get 25 lines..

-Vic Ricker vmr@hcx.psu.edu