[comp.sys.amiga] games

pyrodex@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Scott Peterson) (03/15/88)

   Have you tried my game GravAttack?  It has lots of colors, scrolling
graphics, digitized sound, and things to shoot at.  Kind of like "Lunar
Lander" on LSD.
   It has 17 distinct levels, each progressivly more difficult.  The object
ist to fly around a large planet (in a ship like the one in Asteroids) and
pick up bouncing keys.  Each planet has its own attributes (gravity, friction
and wind).  Some levels have enemy "Bunkers" that shoot at you.  Best of all,
it is FREELY DISTRIBUTABLE!!
   This Spring Break I plan to fix it up a little more and send it to the
moderators:  though it >is< available on BBSs everywhere now.   It is a long
file though... 140K ARCed...
   I think it is a lot of fun, but maybe that is because I wrote it.

   I haven't gotten much feedback yet... has anyone seen it?

      "Life is an effigy, so lets bake cookies." -- Richard Meyer
Scott Hjalmer Peterson                           ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!pyrodex
                       ...I represent myself.

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (03/18/88)

     I really like GravAttack, although it can get rather hard.  I
haven't gotten past the level with the bouncing rocks, shooting
bunkers, and Roman columns, but I don't play games all that much.
Nice job, though!

					-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (03/18/88)

In article <2382@saturn.ucsc.edu> pyrodex@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Scott Peterson) writes:

>   Have you tried my game GravAttack?  It has lots of colors, scrolling
>graphics, digitized sound, and things to shoot at.  Kind of like "Lunar
>Lander" on LSD.
>   It has 17 distinct levels, each progressivly more difficult.

[ further description... ]

>   This Spring Break I plan to fix it up a little more and send it to the
>moderators:  though it >is< available on BBSs everywhere now.

>   I haven't gotten much feedback yet... has anyone seen it?

>Scott Hjalmer Peterson                           ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!pyrodex

     ( I hope inews is satisfied.  *Pthththtt!* )

     I saw GravAttack the other day, and downloaded it from CompuServe
last night.  It really is a lot of fun, and I do recommend it.  The
description, "Kind of like 'Lunar Lander' on LSD" is very apt.  I've
only been on the first three levels:  the artwork was very nice.  I
haven't tried to see if it will multitask nicely yet; if it does it will
become another "download busy-wait routine."  :-)  Something to keep
Amoeba company, and me occupied during those long downloads.
(GravAttack took about an hour to pull off of CIS.  Ugh.)  The game is
not without flaws, though.  The "Exit" function leads to an audience
with the Guru.  With a little clean-up, though, this would be as good as a
number of the commercial games I've seen.

     Well, enough of my babblings...

					Seizure later,
					Dale D. Snell

Hark! Hark! The dogs do bark,       | Dale D. Snell:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
The King is fond of kittens.        | UUCP:  {spine}!tektronix!teksce!dales
He likes to take their insides out, | Compu$erve:  74756,666
And use them for his mittens!       | What's a disclaimer?

wdao@castor.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (01/06/89)

A few little things ...

1) ELITE :
   My version works fine, It never blanked on me.  On the c-64 the game blew my
   socks off. On the AMiga, there is that little something that is missing,
   I find that the music is not as good as it could have been .
   Ohh it must be me,  After having spent months and months playing the 8-bit
   version,  I expected more ... oh well ... I will have to wait for ELITE II

2) ZOOM :
   In several mags , people have reported that some squares are not filled in
   after having been circled.  Well I thing that it is not true,  it only
   happens when the suqare is not properly circled (1 pixel left untouched is
   enough for a square to be left unfilled).

          8-#

kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu (Francois Kuan) (08/24/89)

    Some of you made some good points and interesting suggestions
about copy protection/piracy, etc. However, I think games don't fall
into this category. Ideally, it would be nice if games were cheaper,
and software in general was cheaper. But in the real world, that's not
how it works. Also, I think you need to differentiate between
utilities and games. Aztec can sell their compiler for 250$, and it's
worth it because developers use it all the time, and Aztec doesn't
sell as many copies as, say marble madness.
    Utilities don't need to be flashy. They either
work or they don't. In fact, I was playing around with CLI-MATE and
it actually pissed me off because it took so much chip ram it was
hard to multitask. If I had an IBM, it would be great, having those
pretty and colorful gadgets to click on. But I just want to copy
files from one disk to the other, download something from unix in
the background, and play a game. And I don't have the obese Agnus, so
you see my point. Utilities have a longer shelf life. A good utility
can still sell well after a year or two, while a game loses a
tremendous percentage of its profits after the initial offering. I
do agree that companies should lower their prices, but it just don't
work that way. The IBM market is more profitable, and they probably
could afford to do that. But there are only about 300K amigas in
the U.S., and companies need to stay in business. If they could sell
it for less, they would.
    Games are for entertainment. Theatres charge a lot for a top rate
movie, hardcover books go for 20$, and it follows that game software
would tend to strike people as costly. But the difference here is that
a well made game can give you more hours of enjoyment than a movie
or book, so the bang/buck ratio favors software and results in a
reasonable cost. A game takes just as long to develop as a utility,
if not more, and it makes most of the money within the first two
months, while a utility can rake in the bucks for years (e.g. Lotus).
Also, you have to keep in mind that retailers mark up software quite
a bit. Faery Tale might be sold to a distributor for about 12$ a
piece, the distributor then marks it up a little, and the retailer
marks it up 100% or more over the wholesale price. The bottom line is,
game authors don't make much money. An equivalently
educated/experienced programmer can make MUCH more writing utilities.
You can bitch about the price all you want, but game authors aren't
living like car insurance salemen or real estate agents. And think
about this: A good game for the IBM might sell 150,000 and a GREAT
AWESOME Amiga game might sell as many as 40,000. Amiga game
developers are artists commmiting to a low profit operation because
they believe in the Amiga, and they have their artistic integrity.
Artistic integrity means that an author has chosen to write their
masterpiece for the best machine for the job, not the most profitable
one. Authoring a game for the Amiga a labor of love. Until more people
own Amigas, the prices aren't going to drop.
   I personally think that 30$ is a reasonable price for a top notch
game. 25$ for Dungeonmaster is a fantastic deal. 30$ for Faery Tale is
nothing to complain about. When I walk into a store, I like to see the
nice pretty colorfully designed professional packaging with neat
picture on the cover. You want a game for under 20$, what you'll get
is a disk inside a cardboard box with newspaper wrapping and
"Video Game" hand-written on it.

______________________________________________________          Quantum _\/_
| 545 Sycamore Suite 207 |Frank Kuan                  |      |\  Duck  ( 0 0)
| Davis, Ca 95616        |Quantum Duck Software,      |     |\ \______/ / \\\
| 916-757-2925           |kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu       |    |\ <  <      |  \/
|________________________|____________________________|     \  \___//  /  Quark!
"The game is in the refrigerator, the butter's getting       \___ ___//
 hard, the eggs are cooling, and the lights are out." - Chicky Baby

axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) (11/04/89)

    Seeing a lot of talk about games on here I thought that I would recommend
one.  Shadow of the Beast.  It is the way I think all games should be done.
(Except for the disk access).  The only problem is the new Fat Agnus.  If
I ever decide to upgrade would the game work?
    I own an Amiga 500 with 1 drive and a 1084s monitor.  I am definitely
getting a memory expansion and a hard drive soon.  I am tentavely thinking
of getting the SUPRA 20 meg with 2 megs of RAM for 875.00 dollars.
Are Supras reliable?  And is that a good price?  I have been with amiga for
3 months now..(after I sold my Atari ST)(Thank God!!).....so I need as much
help as possible....
Thanks...

piaw@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Na Choon Piaw) (11/04/89)

In article <624@milton.acs.washington.edu> axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:

>    Seeing a lot of talk about games on here I thought that I would recommend
>one.  Shadow of the Beast.  It is the way I think all games should be done.
>(Except for the disk access).  The only problem is the new Fat Agnus.  If
>I ever decide to upgrade would the game work?

It works on my 1MB Agnus fine...  I've got 3MB on a Microbiotics board, and
my stock machine's an A2000HD....  Of course, I'm not a really good game
player (especially not arcade ones..), so I'll just have to wait for my
arcade happy brothers to alpha test Shadow of the Beast for them..  (Sorry,
but even though I was knocked out by the game's graphics, I don't have great
respect for Psygnosis....)

>help as possible....
>Thanks...

Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
piaw@cory.berkeley.edu		Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!
piaw@ocf.berkeley.edu		"Still on honeymoon with his Amiga...."

axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) (12/12/89)

I was curiouse as to just how good Sim City was.  I might be purchasing it soon
also...Has anyone heard anything about Space Ace.  I have the Demo..(Even
better now that I have 1 meg)...I heard it was suppose to be out in Novemebr
and I haven't seen hid nor hair of it.  My dealer is pretty good at keeping
up with the software/hardware..so I was curiouse....

jn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jerome Lamont Napson) (02/12/90)

One game remaining for sale:

	-Maniac Mansion  $25 or best offer

						-jerome