[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore Announces Amiga Professional Videographics Bundles

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (02/08/90)

The following was posted on CompuServe by Commodore and is reposted here with
permission:

     COMMOODORE ANNOUNCES AMIGA
 PROFESSIONAL VIDEOGRAPHICS BUNDLES

WEST CHESTER, Pa.-February 5th, 1990- Commodore Business Machines, Inc. Vice
President of Marketing Lloyd Mahaffey today announced two new systems based on
the Amiga 2000 series machines targeted for use in video production. The
systems, including a general purpose and an advanced system version, are
available exclusively through authorized Commodore dealers now through May 31st,
1990.

Mahaffey said the systems were developed to further Commodore's lead in the
professional video market. Each system is configured with specialized software
that takes advantage of the Amiga's inherent video compatibility and to perform
professioonal-quality character generation, paint-box and animation
applications.

The general purpose system features an Amiga 2000HD, an A2058 card for an
additional 2MB of 16-bit (for total of 3 MB) RAM, an A1084 color monitor,
TV*Text Professional character generation software by Zuma Group and Deluxe
Paint III paint-box and 2-D animation software by Electronic Arts. The general
purpose system has a suggested retail price of $4200.00.

The advanced system includes an Amiga 2500/30 with 4MB of 32-bit RAM, an A1084
monitor, Deluxe Paint III, Pro Video Gold character generation software by
Shereff Systems, and Sculpt-Animate 4D 3-D animation software from Byte by Byte.
Suggested retail price for the advanced bundle is $6400.00.

According to Mahaffey, the systems were designed to increase the Amiga's
penetration into the rapidly expanding professional video production market. The
Amiga's lead in multimedia is linked directly to its strong position in the
professional video market, he said.

In a 1988 study by Sheer and Chaskelson, a leading professional video market
research firm, the Amiga placed at the very top in terms of market share --
first among 3-D modeling and animation systems, second among paint-box systems
and third among character generators. No other personal computer registered in
the study.

"Few segments of the business, government and education markets are experiencing
growth like video production," Mahaffey said. "Applications for video are
cropping up everywhere -- from presentations and computer-based training to
basic employee communications."

"Amiga-based systems provide a cost-effective video production solution
currently unmatced anywhere. We expect these new videographic systems will help
us convey that message to a broader audience," he added.

Commodore Business Machines, Inc., based in West Chester, Pa., manufactures and
markets a complete line of computers and peripherals for the business,
education, government and consumer markets.

The multi-tasking Amiga line includes the Commodore Amiga 500 (TM), the
Commodore Amiga 2000 (TM) and three enhanced products: The Commodore Amiga
2000HD (TM), the Commodore Amiga 2500 (TM) and the Commodore Amiga 2500/30 (TM).
Commodore's line of MS-DOS (R) compatible computers includes the Colt (TM) and
Professional Series III (TM).

MS-DOS is a registered trademark of Microsoft Inc.

Jeff Schweiger	  CompuServe:  74236,1645	Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil

In article <872@cs.nps.navy.mil> schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:
>The general purpose system features an Amiga 2000HD, an A2058 card for an
>additional 2MB of 16-bit (for total of 3 MB) RAM, an A1084 color monitor,
>TV*Text Professional character generation software by Zuma Group and Deluxe
>Paint III paint-box and 2-D animation software by Electronic Arts. The general
>purpose system has a suggested retail price of $4200.00.

	I was under the impression that the 2000HD, with the 2091
card, could add up to 2MB of memory without the 2058. Doesn't the hard
drive controller come with sockets? ARe they selling the old 2090A
cards to save money and empty stock?
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???