[comp.sys.amiga] shaky 1084, also power surge

"kosma@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (02/08/90)

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 10:30 PST
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com>
Subject: shaky 1084, also power surge (?) monitor jumping
To: "Eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@Kahuna

    Does anyone know why my 1084 periodically will 'shake' ever-so-slightly
    to make my hi-res mode appear 'blurry'.
    In more detail, it seems to shake up and down by 1 pixel, making hi-res text
    appear blurry.
    Does anyone know WHY this is happening?
    And, even better, does anyone know of a *simple* solution ??????
    Thanx for any info.

I've seen the same thing happen every so often on my A2002 monitor.  It
looks like somehow it is displaying in interlaced mode, while I've done
nothing (that I can thing of) that would have switched workbench into
interlace.  To fix it, I think what I've done was run the program
setlace, to turn on interlace, then run it again to turn it off.
Something like that, at least.  It hasn't happened to me in about six
months or a year.

On the other hand, I have had a shaky monitor problem lately.  Every
twenty to thirty minutes, there's some sort of a "pop" and the screen
jumps, kind of like a power surge.  It *could* be a power surge--I just
moved into a new house so who knows what the circuits are like--but I
have been unable to correlate the jumps with any major appliances
switching on an off, and I also have a fairly expensive (for what that
means) surge supressor/isolator on the line (a surge fried my monitor a
couple years back so I learned my lesson).

Interestingly enough, I also left the amiga on with the workbench hand
showing for quite some time, but never noticed the screen jump.  Could
be that I missed it, though, or that I didn't watch for long enough.

Any ideas?  Could there be a problem with the amiga?  I'll probably try
another power outlet in another part of the house, for my next guess.

monty
kosma@alan.decnet.lockheed.com

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (02/08/90)

In article <10441@baldrick.udel.EDU> "kosma@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com writes:

>On the other hand, I have had a shaky monitor problem lately.  Every
>twenty to thirty minutes, there's some sort of a "pop" and the screen
>jumps, kind of like a power surge.  It *could* be a power surge--I just
>moved into a new house so who knows what the circuits are like--but I

    This is a common problem with 1084's. It is caused by hi voltage arcing
on the underside of the circuit board in the monitor. Check out the article
in the recent (dated Oct of last year, but just delivered in Feb) Ami Transactor.
It describes just what causes the problem & how to fix it. This is important
enough that copies should be made and distributed with monitors to all Amiga
users, and posted on all BBS's.
					Terry

sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) (02/08/90)

In article <10675@saturn.ucsc.edu> terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) writes:
>In article <10441@baldrick.udel.EDU> "kosma@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com writes:
>>
>>On the other hand, I have had a shaky monitor problem lately.  Every
>>twenty to thirty minutes, there's some sort of a "pop" and the screen
>>jumps, kind of like a power surge.  It *could* be a power surge--I just
>>moved into a new house so who knows what the circuits are like--but I
>
>    This is a common problem with 1084's. It is caused by hi voltage arcing
>on the underside of the circuit board in the monitor. Check out the article
>in the recent (dated Oct of last year, but just delivered in Feb) Ami Transactor.

It is important enough to look at it right away. I had the "pop"
for about a year now. I was pretty sure that it had something to do with
the high voltage, but never bothered to check it out. Well last week I
started to loose my picture after the pop. I decided I had better take a
look at things right away. After getting the case apart and powering up
again, I got no picture at all. The most annoying part is that I had the
Transactor issue on my desk when it went dead. I had not looked at it
enough to see that a fix was right there.
	If you are not into fix it yourself, or don't feel you know
enough to try, find someone who does. If you wait too long like I did
you will have a more severe problem. IE most likely a burned out High
Voltage power supply.

Steve

kosma%stc-sun@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) (02/13/90)

    Date: 8 Feb 90 14:46:04 GMT
    From: Steve Morris <sjm%sun.acs.udel.edu@ee.udel.edu>

    In article <10675@saturn.ucsc.edu> terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) writes:
    >In article <10441@baldrick.udel.EDU> "kosma@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com writes:
    >>
    >>On the other hand, I have had a shaky monitor problem lately.  Every
    >>twenty to thirty minutes, there's some sort of a "pop" and the screen
    >>jumps, kind of like a power surge.  It *could* be a power surge--I just
    >>moved into a new house so who knows what the circuits are like--but I
    >
    >    This is a common problem with 1084's. It is caused by hi voltage arcing
    >on the underside of the circuit board in the monitor. Check out the article
    >in the recent (dated Oct of last year, but just delivered in Feb) Ami Transactor.

    It is important enough to look at it right away. I had the "pop"
    for about a year now. I was pretty sure that it had something to do with
    the high voltage, but never bothered to check it out. Well last week I
    started to loose my picture after the pop. I decided I had better take a
    look at things right away. After getting the case apart and powering up
    again, I got no picture at all. The most annoying part is that I had the
    Transactor issue on my desk when it went dead. I had not looked at it
    enough to see that a fix was right there.
	    If you are not into fix it yourself, or don't feel you know
    enough to try, find someone who does. If you wait too long like I did
    you will have a more severe problem. IE most likely a burned out High
    Voltage power supply.

    Steve

So, I don't mind fixing it myself, but I don't know when/where I'll be
able to get the transactor, or if I'll really be able to fix it myself.
Could somebody give me a little more detail about what is involved?  I
called the local computer store (the only one within about 30 miles) and
they said they'd seen the problem, but that I should take it to a
monitor/tv repair shop, that they don't fix it, and they thought transactor
was dead and gone.

Does anybody know if I can mail order this issue of transactor from
somewhere (or can somebody xerox the article on the monitor problem and
forward it to me?)

thanks!