[comp.sys.amiga] shaky 1084

jon@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jonathan R Deutsch) (02/05/90)

Does anyone know why my 1084 periodically will 'shake' ever-so-slightly
to make my hi-res mode appear 'blurry'.
In more detail, it seems to shake up and down by 1 pixel, making hi-res text
appear blurry.
Does anyone know WHY this is happening?
And, even better, does anyone know of a *simple* solution ??????
Thanx for any info.

\////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/
<>                   "For my 2 cents, I'd pay a dollar"                     <>
<>                    --------------------------------                      <>
<>                               JON DEUTSCH                                <>
<>                    INTERNET <jon@vax1.acs.udel.edu>                      <>
<>                      BITNET <HUJ10517@UDACSVM>                           <>
/\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////////////////////////\

djs4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Daniel J Sabroe) (02/08/90)

In article <5651@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> jon@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jonathan R Deutsch) writes:
>Does anyone know why my 1084 periodically will 'shake' ever-so-slightly
>to make my hi-res mode appear 'blurry'.
>In more detail, it seems to shake up and down by 1 pixel, making hi-res text
>appear blurry.
>Does anyone know WHY this is happening?
>And, even better, does anyone know of a *simple* solution ??????
>Thanx for any info.

	I have this same problem with my 1084.  I'd also be interested in an   explanation or a solution.  Gracias.

watters@penguin.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (02/08/90)

The 1084 made by Magnavox, the one with a few circular ports on the back,
are absolute JUNK.  We had about 1 out of every 3 returned at our store, and
some customers got the unique chance of going through three of them.

Make sure if your shopping for a monitor that you get the new 1084SD, It is
shaped like the old 1080 and 2002, and has more controls up front, and the
picture is GREAT, Interlace is a lot better!!!

Dave

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/11/90)

>In article <5651@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> jon@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jonathan R
>Deutsch) writes:
>>Does anyone know why my 1084 periodically will 'shake' ever-so-slightly
>>to make my hi-res mode appear 'blurry'.
>>In more detail, it seems to shake up and down by 1 pixel, making hi-res text
>>appear blurry.
>>Does anyone know WHY this is happening?
>>And, even better, does anyone know of a *simple* solution ??????
>>Thanx for any info.

Me too.  Add my name to the (growing) list of people who want a solution
without buying a new monitor.

     /************************************************************
     * Everything above is copyright me.  All rights unreserved. *
     * uunet!tronsbox!bleys         BIX: bcavanaugh              *
     * "The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"       *
     *                              Finagle's First Law          *
     *                                 J. Pournelle              *

FILLMORE%EMRCAN.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (02/13/90)

  I would like to report that I have the same problem with my 1084.
It is especially bothersome under A-Max, because the Mac fonts are quite
small (ones used on the desktop).  I run A-Max with interlace turned on,
so this problem affects interlace as well as normal hires.
  This seems to be a generic problem with the 1084.  A while ago people
were complaining about snapping and popping of their 1084's as well.
Could we please get some sort of official statement from anybody from
Commodore who's listening?  Is there a fix for these problems?

  This should probably be discussed in the new comp.sys.amiga.hardware
group, but I'm on Bitnet and I don't think there is a relay to that group
yet (or to comp.sys.amiga.tech).
Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
  Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
  588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (02/14/90)

I recently typed the article from the Transactor that described the fix and
posted it in comp.sys.amiga.hardware. If you have questions about the fix
check it out there.