[comp.sys.amiga] a1000 and 1.4 The official release

sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) (02/09/90)

Ok folks. To settle things once and for all. The following 2 segments of
text are from the official info packet that CBM has given to dealers
for various programs/offers.

======= Begin excerpt ==========

A1000 TRADE IN

TARGETING 100,000 PLUS A1000 OWNERS, WHO DESIRE AN AMIGA WHICH RUNS
FASTER, BETTER AND IS DESIGNED FOR FUTURE PRODUCT IMPROVEMENTS.

[PARAGRAPH LEFT OUT]

MARKETING MESSAGES
   - _LAST CHANCE_ LIMITED TIME OFFER TO TRADE UP TO SUPERIOR AMIGA

   - A2000 SERIES CAN BE EXPANDED TO INCLUDE ALL MAJOR UPGADES
      + ECS                 + internal hard drives
      + 6803                + Bridgeboard
      + 32 Bit RAM          + DOS 1.4

   - THE A1000 IS UNABLE TO SUPPORT THE ABOVE TECHNOLOGY

[REMAINING  PARAGRAPHS LEFT OUT]

====== End Excerpt =============

Flame all you want, but there it is; the 1000 is unable to support ECS
or DOS 1.4. Yes, one more time, Work Bench 1.4 will be useable with any
machine that has Kickstart 1.2 or 1.3 (1.4 beta testers don't have the
new kick start as far as I know), this means that there must be
something about Kickstart 1.4 that makes it incompatable with the 1000
as Commodore originally sold it.

It appears that this is the only announcement that CBM is making
regarding 1.4 and the 1000. This information is given to all the
dealers, but is not evident from the magazine ads. If you know people
with 1000s who might not be aware of this tell them. If you don't belive
me (or they don't belive you) just check it out with your area dealer.

Steven

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/10/90)

In article <7702@sun.acs.udel.edu> sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) writes:
>Ok folks. To settle things once and for all.
>
>   - A2000 SERIES CAN BE EXPANDED TO INCLUDE ALL MAJOR UPGADES
>      + ECS                 + internal hard drives
>      + 68030               + Bridgeboard
>      + 32 Bit RAM          + DOS 1.4
>
>   - THE A1000 IS UNABLE TO SUPPORT THE ABOVE TECHNOLOGY
>
>Flame all you want, but there it is; the 1000 is unable to support ECS
>or DOS 1.4.

	I don't think this is the final word.  What does "support" mean?
DOS 1.4 will have new graphics resolutions that the A1000 won't be able
to use without the ECS.  Does "unable to support" mean "unable to support
fully", or "unable to run at all"?

	In addition, it has been mentioned here on Usenet at least 2 times
by CATS people that there *WILL* be a 1.4 Kickstart disk for the A1000.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) in <7702@sun.acs.udel.edu> writes:

"	... The following 2 segments of text are from the official info packet
	that CBM has given to dealers for various programs/offers.
	A1000 TRADE IN

	- A2000 SERIES CAN BE EXPANDED TO INCLUDE ALL MAJOR UPGADES
	      + ECS                 + internal hard drives
	      + 6803                + Bridgeboard
	      + 32 Bit RAM          + DOS 1.4

	   - THE A1000 IS UNABLE TO SUPPORT THE ABOVE TECHNOLOGY
"

'Sfunny.  One of my A1000 has a Ronin card with '030 and 4MB of 32-bit-wide
RAM.  Almost considered replacing the internal floppy with a Quantum HD, too.
(It's easy to run all the floppies "external" with a few minutes' time and a
soldering iron.)

Let's hope the reference to "6803" above is a typo; a Motorola MC68A03 is a
nice chip for dedicated process control, but I wouldn't care to "do" computing
using it!  :-)

And notices in this newsgroup suggest the "ECS" functions with the Rejuvenator.

So that leaves only the "Bridgeboard" and "DOS 1.4" as possibly dysfunctional
in an A1000.  I won't comment about the former, and about the latter, so what?

The point being: if one's present computer continues to serve, why not just
continue using it?  And if specific new systems' features are required, then
buy the new system.  This concept is not new: when stereo TV came out, one
bought a new set; when anti-lock brakes came out, one bought a new car; when
higher speed modems came out, one bought a new modem; etc.

The A1000 surfaced in 1985 and has served me fine for half a decade.  With
the 1.3 OS and available peripherals, the A1000 is a solid, reliable system.
If there is some feature of 1.4 that I deem necessary, and if 1.4 actually
does NOT function on an A1000, then buying another Amiga (e.g. 2000, 3000,
whatever) is no big deal, and I have no cause for complaint.

I think it is grand of CBM to again offer an upgrade!  Other companies should
be so magnanimous and actually respect and support their customer base.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

In article <26764@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>I think it is grand of CBM to again offer an upgrade!  Other companies should
>be so magnanimous and actually respect and support their customers.

Finally somebody that appreciates Commodore efforts at enhancing technology
and still offer a rather reasonable upgrade path to owners of 5-year old
machines.  The A1000 with 1.3 is a perfectly usable machine TODAY.
This is the second A1000->A2000 upgrade that Commodore has offered
in two years.   IMHO, Commodore has done much more than any other
microcomputer company I've been involved with to support owners of its
machines.  If third party efforts (like the rejuvenator and valley group thing)
are successsful, then even A1000 owners might be able to fully upgrade.
Try to understand that Commodore has limited resources and I certainly prefer
them to spend time and money on the A3000 and new machines for Commodore's
future (and survival).  Things like the rejuvenator can be better addressed
by small 3rd parties.  Commodore has never refused to provide hardware
developers with Amiga ROMS and custom chips (one company, Michigan Software,
has done most of his business reselling A1000 1.3 boards). Compare that with
the willingness of 'other' companies to provide hardware developers with such
chips (yes, their name starts with A :-).

So, why don't we stop all the whining and moaning?  First, it is stale.
I've read the same stuff two years ago.  Second, it is unwarranted.
Gee, what whould have happened if no upgrade was offered?  Whould you
have started shooting at Commodore? :-)

Comp.sys.amiga is becoming more and more the pulpit for cry babies.  I
guess I'm happy of the split now.  If this rubbish continues, then it
is really time to read only comp.sys.amiga.{tech & hardware}.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (02/10/90)

In article <26764@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) in <7702@sun.acs.udel.edu> writes:
>
>"	... The following 2 segments of text are from the official info packet
>	that CBM has given to dealers for various programs/offers.
>	   - THE A1000 IS UNABLE TO SUPPORT THE ABOVE TECHNOLOGY
>"
>
>'Sfunny.  One of my A1000 has a Ronin card with '030 and 4MB of 32-bit-wide
>RAM.

Drat -- you beat me to making this point.
Folks -- the A1000 does not support add-in, internal cards, co-processor SLOT
	boards, video boards, high-end Denise/Agnus chips [except for Rej...]

It should read: "COMMODORE IS UNABLE TO SUPPORT THE ABOVE TECHNOLOGY IN A 1000"
Of course, other companies can.

Probably Commodore wants to outdate 5 year old technology, an issue that has
reared it's head in other postings [does the name Wayne mean anything?]...

I say, it's high time!!  I want *new* technology... I want a NeXT for the price
of an Amiga -- hear, hear!  [Okay, I'm getting carried away... :)]

To repeat what has been heard half a dozen times...  1.4 will be supported
in the A1000.  All of it's features won't, but as far as I know, there should
be no big problem...  :)
[Unless the new graphics libraries don't check if a new graphic blitter is
stuck in the system, which might cause problems with big blits, but that's
a horse of a different beat  <My teacher told me to avoid those mixed metaphors
:)>]
>I think it is grand of CBM to again offer an upgrade!  Other companies should
>be so magnanimous and actually respect and support their customer base.

Hear, hear!!!

>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

David Navas
navas@cory.berkeley.edu

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) (02/11/90)

>From: papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa)
>So, why don't we stop all the whining and moaning?  First, it is stale.
>I've read the same stuff two years ago.  Second, it is unwarranted.
>Gee, what whould have happened if no upgrade was offered?  Whould you
>have started shooting at Commodore? :-)

>Comp.sys.amiga is becoming more and more the pulpit for cry babies.  I
>guess I'm happy of the split now.  If this rubbish continues, then it
>is really time to read only comp.sys.amiga.{tech & hardware}.

Here! Here!

  --Allen
--
|------------------------------------------|
| Allen H. Farrington (703) 222-9612       | "It's like nothing we've ever
| allen@grebyn.com                         |  dealt with before."
|------------------------------------------|                    -Mr. Spock

dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) (02/12/90)

What is a 6803 upgrade that was mentioned?
--

					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
					att!ihlpz!dalka

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (02/13/90)

A friend of mine who is working with KS1.4 says that it indeed does need
512K of rom but that A1000s with expansion memory will have a KS disk
which will load into both WCS and 256K of expansion memory. Exactly how
this mechanism will work is unknown to this individual; my friend
suggests that it will possibly require booting under 1.3 and then
giving some command to load the 1.4 KS.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me.  I don't have the cash for a 2000
right now, so even a kludge would be acceptable.  So it seems to me
that BOTH rumors are true :-).
	     -- Darren

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (02/13/90)

In article <13488@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) writes:
>What is a 6803 upgrade that was mentioned?

Hopefully (pray) a typo, intended to read `68030` instead.  If Commodore
started putting 6803's in the Amigas, we'd all be in serious trouble! :-) :-)

Jeff Bevis		     Purdue Univeristy School of Electrical Engineering
bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	  	   	       Give me Amiga or nothing at all.
Actually, I never liked spam.  Spam, spam, spam, sausage, bacon and spam...

umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca (02/14/90)

   Can some please post the terms of this trade-in deal, and whether it is
available here in Canada? Thanks.

                                                Robert Birch
                                                 <umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca>