[comp.sys.amiga] Need more resolution

wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) (02/06/90)

In message <1349@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham)
writes:

> I agree with you about there needing to be Commodore support...we NEED higher
> resolutions...larger color palettes, etc.  Does anyone know anything about
> when the PVA is supposed to be available?  I can name about 10 people right
> off hand that would be willing to spend the kind of money on an enhancement
> card like the PVA, the Video Toaster, or the V-Machine...a few of them work
> for the two TV stations that I installed Amiga systems in.

What is the PVA?

> I have a question though, if you are having problems with the color changes of
> multiple objects on the same line, then why is it possible for NewTek to get
> EXCELLENT results?  I'm refering to their Dynamic HiRes slideshow...the
> picture of the *VERY* colorful rock collection is superb.  And the closeup of
> the face shows that it Dynamic HiRes can even handle facial tones (though ther
> was some SLIGHT banding)...
>
> Sean Cunningham

I have troubles viewing those Dynamic Hires pictures on my machine
(probably biggest, fattest Agnus available, A2620, A2090A, Flickerfixer, 5
megs total RAM). Whenever I switch to 68000 mode, everything works fine.
But in 68020 mode, I have horrible distortions in the pictures.
What is this?

And for all those video gurus out there: I just received my copy of
ProVideo Plus and the demo disk.....if the program had an acceptable user
interface I'd give it 95 out of 100 possible points.....still, the power
is amazing.

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) (02/10/90)

In article <02226.AA02226@sosaria>, wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) writes:
> I have troubles viewing those Dynamic Hires pictures on my machine
> (probably biggest, fattest Agnus available, A2620, A2090A, Flickerfixer, 5
> megs total RAM). Whenever I switch to 68000 mode, everything works fine.
> But in 68020 mode, I have horrible distortions in the pictures.
> What is this?

It's a bug.  They've released an update that works fine on all 68020/30
machines.  I got it from PeopleLink.
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

dcr3567@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.C. Richardson) (02/12/90)

In article <02226.AA02226@sosaria> wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) writes:
>In message <1349@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham)
>writes:
>
>> I agree with you about there needing to be Commodore support...we NEED higher
>
>What is the PVA?

Professional Video Adaptor.. 640*400*256.  Never released, probably
never will.

Stuff About Dynamic Hires Deletedr
>I have troubles viewing those Dynamic Hires pictures on my machine
>(probably biggest, fattest Agnus available, A2620, A2090A, Flickerfixer, 5
>megs total RAM). Whenever I switch to 68000 mode, everything works fine.
>But in 68020 mode, I have horrible distortions in the pictures.
>What is this?
From what little I know, it uses the interrupts of the 68000, and has to
be EXTREMELY timing sensitive in order to do this.  The 68020 is a
different processor, so the timing will be totally different (I'd even
assume it would be different for different SPEEDS of the '020 and '030,
right?).  From what I hear, there is a new version in the works of the
viewer.

>And for all those video gurus out there: I just received my copy of
>ProVideo Plus and the demo disk.....if the program had an acceptable user
>interface I'd give it 95 out of 100 possible points.....still, the power
>is amazing.
I concur!  I used Provideo Plus for over a year and a half everyday, and
while it could use a little more scripting ability (for automated
inserts and moves or block moves), I found it generally easier to use
than something like a DVideo interface with the mouse (or for that
matter, Broadcast Titler's interface).  I guess it wouldn't have been
bad to include both mouse and keyboard input, but that would have
defeated the purpose of the program:  To get screens called up with
hot-keys at an instant.  I was really impressed with the program, and
urge you to work with it.. it grows on you.

Daniel Richardson
Rochester Institute of Technology
Mechanical Engineering Dept.

watters@abalone.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (02/13/90)

I work in Video Production, and we too used ProVideoPlus and were very pleased
with it.
However, I must tell people that we stubled across something 100x better!!!

Broadcast Titler is exceptional; The Antialiasing blows PVP's away, but the
most exciting part is that it converts any Amiga font, into a BT font.  We
have converted most of the Karafonts and they are incredible, yes it supports
colorfonts(tm).
It doesn't stop there, the transitions are exceptional, and there are even a
few (10) transitons for use with the remote feature on the SuperGen. ie. fades,
inverse. ect.

If you do Video titling, YOU MUST look at Broadcast Titler, when we first got
it it was a little buggy, however in about 5 months we have recieved 2 updates
and it is now working very smoothly.

I do not sell, or work, for any of the above mentioned, I just try to support
top notch work.

If there is one single reason the Mac outsells the Ami, it is Software quality.

David Watters

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (02/13/90)

[woof!]

In article <02226.AA02226@sosaria> wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) writes:

|What is the PVA?

     I think that's the TLA for the ULowell board:  Professional Video
Adaptor.

|I have troubles viewing those Dynamic Hires pictures on my machine
|(probably biggest, fattest Agnus available, A2620, A2090A, Flickerfixer, 5
|megs total RAM). Whenever I switch to 68000 mode, everything works fine.
|But in 68020 mode, I have horrible distortions in the pictures.
|What is this?

     Though they won't admit it, there was a bug in NewTek's Dynamic
Hires viewer program.  *Any* speed-up of the Amiga, from an A2630 to a
CMI Processor Accellerator, will cause this obnoxious distortion.
Booting with an '030 or '020 card in 68000 mode, or the PA at 7MHz,
will let the program work fine.  Evidently there is some sort of
software timing loop.  I think that there was a fixed version of the
viewer posted to CompuServe not too long ago.  (I don't have it.)

                                    --dds

Dale D. Snell      dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM      74756.666@compuserve.COM
TLA?  Oh, that stands for Three Letter Acronym, of course.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (02/14/90)

The PVA, or, Professional Video Adapter from Commodore is supposed to be like
the Toaster, or the V-Machine...combination genlock, frame-buffer,
paint-system...

Sean