[comp.sys.amiga] Assign & Path

jwhitman@stl-06sima.army.mil (Jerry Whitman) (01/23/90)

Hi all;

I am having a problem that I do not understand with the PATH command.

I have installed WordPerfect on my HD (A2000HD w/2090A).  As a part of
the installation procedure WP creates an 'assign' file called
s/WPAssigns.  It looks as follows:

Assign WP: work:WP
Assign Spell.Thes: work:WP
; See Page 594 for Learn: assign
Path WP:
Assign Print: work:PRINT
Path Print:

To use it I added the line Execute S:WPAssigns immediately prior to the
ENDCLI command on BOOT:S/Startup-Sequence.  After I boot I bring up the
WorkBench Shell and do an ASSIGN.  Assign shows all three assigns took
place as given.  HOWEVER!!!! Path show does not give either of the two
path additions.  VERY STRANGE Mr. Holmes.

Stranger yet - I will now "Execute s/WPAssigns" and do another PATH SHOW
and the two paths have been added.  Honest Injun Red Ryder!!

So, lets experiment a little.  I add a second Execute s:WPAssigns to the
startup so I have 2 in a row.  Re-boot and check assigns and paths.  The
assigns are fine, but the path additions are still conspicuous by their
absence.  From Shell I 'Execute s/WPAssigns" and all is well in path-land.

So alright-already!!  Why do the Path commands fail to set the path
when being executed from the startup-sequence, but work fine when executed
from the shell?

Perhaps this should be obvious to the most casual observer, but at this
point I am not too casual and my powers of observation may be in question.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Jerry

lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert Lane A.) (01/24/90)

In article <8915@nigel.udel.EDU> jwhitman@stl-06sima.army.mil (Jerry Whitman) writes:
	[description of the setup of WordPerfect deleted]

   To use it I added the line Execute S:WPAssigns immediately prior to the
   ENDCLI command on BOOT:S/Startup-Sequence.  After I boot I bring up the
   WorkBench Shell and do an ASSIGN.  Assign shows all three assigns took
   place as given.  HOWEVER!!!! Path show does not give either of the two
   path additions.  VERY STRANGE Mr. Holmes.

   Stranger yet - I will now "Execute s/WPAssigns" and do another PATH SHOW
   and the two paths have been added.  Honest Injun Red Ryder!!

I believe the problem is that ASSIGNs are global, but PATH only affects
the shell it is executed under.  Try adding the PATH commands to your
s:shell-startup or equivalent.

Lane		lar@usl.edu   ...!texbell!rouge!lar

jh@ccave.UUCP (Juergen Hermann) (01/31/90)

In article <8915@nigel.udel.EDU> jwhitman@stl-06sima.army.mil (Jerry Whitman) writes:
>To use it I added the line Execute S:WPAssigns immediately prior to the
>ENDCLI command on BOOT:S/Startup-Sequence.  After I boot I bring up the

When you do an EndCLI, the CLI is closed (you know that). When you close
a CLI, all local data is lost (the path is local data, you didn't knew
that, did you?).

So add "Execute S:WPAssigns" to your S:Startup-Shell (if you have one,
create it otherwise), this should solve your problem.

--
   //  Juergen Hermann          UUCP: ira.uka.de!smurf!ccave!jh
 \X/   75 Karlsruhe 1, FRG      Fido: 2:241/2.1212@FidoNet

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (02/02/90)

[my dad is bigger than your dad and my lineater is bi...]

Here is something about which I know something.  With DMouse you can
open the window AND execute a script file upon opening the window.
So have your script set your path, prompt, stack, etc. so that when
you Hot Key a new window open, it opens just the way you like it.

I set my prompt and path so that every window automatically knows where
to look for arp, utilities, and system commands.

WShell 1.2 (and probably other shells also) automatically runs a
startup script when the window opens so you get this effect no matter
how the window is opened.

HOpe this helps...

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/03/90)

I was under the impression that paths were inherited from the launching
process.  I guess that's just with WShell (an excellent shell replacement
from Bill Hawes, author of AREXX).

jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) (02/06/90)

Thanks to all who responded to my delima of not getting PATH adds to stick
during my startup-sequence.

The correct answer ( as so many of you already knew ) is to do all the
assigns and path adds prior to loading Workbench.

Works like a champ now.

Thanks again gang!!

Jerry Whitman - Keeper of FishXref and FishCon

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (02/07/90)

In article <9002061430.AA06132@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) writes:
> Thanks to all who responded to my delima of not getting PATH adds to stick
> during my startup-sequence.
>
> The correct answer ( as so many of you already knew ) is to do all the
> assigns and path adds prior to loading Workbench.
>
> Works like a champ now.
>
> Thanks again gang!!
>
> Jerry Whitman - Keeper of FishXref and FishCon

THIS DOES NOT, CATAGORICALLY DOES NOT, AND NEVER HAS WORKED ON A PAL MACHINE.
WHEN WILL IT EVER GET FIXED????
IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!
Regards Alan

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/09/90)

>When you do an EndCLI, the CLI is closed (you know that). When you close
>a CLI, all local data is lost (the path is local data, you didn't knew
>that, did you?).
>
>So add "Execute S:WPAssigns" to your S:Startup-Shell (if you have one,
>create it otherwise), this should solve your problem.

I've got my paths added rather early in my Startup-Sequence.  After all the
assigns, etc. are done (did you ever notice how many more assigns you have
when you have a hard drive?<grin>), I run VirusX, LoadWB, and then open a
WShell 1.2.  I should have said this takes place in the StartupII file, BTW.
 The last thing that happens is the original startup-sequence closes the
boot CLI.
  My paths are inherited by all subsequently opened WShells.

Including a script to create paths in you wshell-startup will REALLY make
the system slooooow, IMHO.  But I'm impatient;  my wshell-startup and config
files are in ENV: in RAM...<grin>

     /************************************************************
     * Everything above is copyright me.  All rights unreserved. *
     * uunet!tronsbox!bleys         BIX: bcavanaugh              *
     * "The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"       *
     *                              Finagle's First Law          *
     *                                 J. Pournelle              *

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (02/14/90)

In article <25d21c33:4164.7comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
>Including a script to create paths in you wshell-startup will REALLY make
>the system slooooow, IMHO.

Make path resident.  Makes it really quick.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University