[comp.sys.amiga] Low-cost disks...

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (02/05/90)

Could someone email me the phone number that recently floated through c.s.a.
for the company selling 3.5" floppies for about 37 cents apiece?  Thanks...
Jeff Bevis		     Purdue Univeristy School of Electrical Engineering
bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	  	   	       Give me Amiga or nothing at all.

jenglish@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Jim English) (02/09/90)

In article <9002050048.AA10510@en.ecn.purdue.edu> bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) writes:
>Could someone email me the phone number that recently floated through c.s.a.
>for the company selling 3.5" floppies for about 37 cents apiece?  Thanks...

I don't know who they are, but I do have a number for MEI/Micro Center,
1-800-634-3478. They have 3.5" DS/DD and SS/DD Disks for .45 each.
Shipping .50 per 25 disks. Sold in lots of 25. I have bought over 150
of these from them, and have yet to find a bad one. They also have high
density ones for .89 each.
--
Jim English    MD-IPC   | JENGLISH@D31.TYMNET.COM or jenglish@tardis.tymnet.com
(214)637-7406  Dallas   | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jenglish

dvp@crg3.UUCP (Dan Vander Ploeg) (02/10/90)

> I don't know who they are, but I do have a number for MEI/Micro Center,
> 1-800-634-3478. They have 3.5" DS/DD and SS/DD Disks for .45 each.
> Shipping .50 per 25 disks. Sold in lots of 25. I have bought over 150
> of these from them, and have yet to find a bad one.
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In a recent sample of 25 MEI disks, I rejected 7 (28%).  Six wouldn't
spin without making terrible noises.  The seventh was strange; when I
said "format," nothing happened.  Nothing.  Drive didn't spin, no
error messages, nothing.  I think the bad disks can be returned for
refund or replacement, but for seven disks it wasn't worth my effort.

In a recent sample from Lightspeed, at $1.00 each, I found no bad disks.

With the bulk Sony disks from the local user group, I average 10% bad.

--Dan [...!ogicse!sequent!dvp]

jbaker@gmu90x.gmu.edu (jbaker) (02/11/90)

In article <DVP.90Feb9082812@crg3.UUCP> dvp@crg3.UUCP (Dan Vander Ploeg) writes:
>In a recent sample of 25 MEI disks, I rejected 7 (28%).  Six wouldn't
>In a recent sample from Lightspeed, at $1.00 each, I found no bad disks.

I have never heard of them; who manufactured the disks?

>With the bulk Sony disks from the local user group, I average 10% bad.

We have ordered over 600 SONY 3.5" disks, and have never had a bad disk.  Are
you sure your user group is getting Sony DS disks?  In our last two orders,
each disk was printed on the back with "DOUBLE SIDED" and a serial number.
But in older orders, disks only had a serial number.

>--Dan [...!ogicse!sequent!dvp]

John Baker

dvp@crg3.UUCP (Dan Vander Ploeg) (02/15/90)

John Baker writes:

>Dan Vander Ploeg writes:

>>In a recent sample from Lightspeed, at $1.00 each, I found no bad disks.

>I have never heard of them; who manufactured the disks?

Lightspeed is a Portland mailorder company.  They advertise in AmigaWorld.
The disks are anonymous, this batch was a nice gold color.

>>With the bulk Sony disks from the local user group, I average 10% bad.

>We have ordered over 600 SONY 3.5" disks, and have never had a bad disk.  Are
>you sure your user group is getting Sony DS disks?  In our last two orders,
>each disk was printed on the back with "DOUBLE SIDED" and a serial number.
>But in older orders, disks only had a serial number.

These are probably the disks Sony rejects.  The disks are unmarked, but come
in cartons with Sony labels on them.

--Dan [...!ogicse!sequent!dvp]