[comp.sys.amiga] Yamaha DX-7 Midi file to DMCS file format converter?

mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) (02/11/90)

For one reason or another, my previous posting didn't seem to make it:

Does anyone have a utility to convert DX-7 (or other synthesizer) midi
file format to Deluxe Music Construction Set (DMCS) format?  It would
probably have to read a raw track disk device, since the 3.5" disk
created by the DX-7 is not recognized by Amigados.

Also, I've seen a lot of DMCS scores from ucsd.edu which are said to
have been converted to midi file format from DMCS.  The reference says
they can from the "MACFUN" forum.  Does anyone know where to find the
original DMCS files?  Is "MACFUN" accessible via internet?  These
scores look very good!

Please reply via email to the address below & I'll summarize if
there's interest.

M. Scott Wills                        arpa: mwills@rhino.harris-atd.com
Mail Stop 102-4858                    uucp: uunet!x102a!mwills
Harris Corporation                   phone: 407-729-3283
Government Aerospace Systems Div.     Bldg: 102 Room: 3426
P.O. Box 94000
Melbourne, FL 32902

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/15/90)

In article <MWILLS.90Feb10182428@x102a.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) writes:
>Does anyone have a utility to convert DX-7 (or other synthesizer) midi
>file format to Deluxe Music Construction Set (DMCS) format?  It would
>probably have to read a raw track disk device, since the 3.5" disk
>created by the DX-7 is not recognized by Amigados.

What you're asking for is almost impossible.  The program would have to
interpret a set of DX7 parameters and generate a sample file.  Oh, it
definitely could be done -- but you'd need a pretty complete definition
of the DX's FM-synthesis algorithms to pull it off.

As for trying to read it off the DX7-II floppy disk, it would be much easier
just to upload the parameters via MIDI by transmitting the MIDI system
exclusive command to do so.

Now, what is a much easier task is to read samples from a sampler and convert
them to the Amiga.  I have done this with the Casio FZ-1.  That is to say,
I can take any 16-bit sample disk for an FZ-1 and make 8-bit IFF 8SVX or VOIC
instrument files from them.  Unfortunately, the FZ-1 uses a Casio-specific
format.  If I had bought a synth that was compliant with the MIDI sample dump
standard and coded for that, it would have implicitly supported most samplers
out there -- oh well.

--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"As long as there is a legion of superheros, all else
--			 can surely be made right." -- Sensor Girl