[comp.sys.amiga] Nib 2.0 arrives!

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/13/90)

	Well, I just got my copy of NIB 2.0 in the mail, after many months
of waiting.  NIB 1.0 was a shareware disk copier program (for copy-protected
software).  If you sent in the shareware fee, you were put on a list to
receive version 2.0 for free.  2.0 is a COMMERCIAL PRODUCT, so don't give
it away!

	The product is much improved over 1.0 -- it no longer screws up the
screen while copying, and the list of titles it backs up has grown quite
long.  The program now has sound (to let you know when the copy is
finished).  The graphic displays are informative.

	Some programs get copied verbatim.  Some get their copy-protection
removed!  Some programs get a custom NIB boot-block added (it will cause
VirusX to complain) that supposedly eludes the program's copy protection.
It displays these funky blue patterns on the screen.

	I tried copying SimCity as instructed, and the copy didn't work!  I
have written to the author about this.  This is the only game I tried, since
all my other stuff is already backed up.  It's possible that my version of
SimCity (1.1) was different from the author's.

	One quirk:  when exiting, NIB instructs you to remove all floppies
from their drives, or else the Amiga may crash!  I don't want to guess
what's going on here, but I duly pop my disks out when asked.

	NIB 2.0 is not copy-protected, and runs with no problems from
hard disk.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

jbaker@gmu90x.gmu.edu (jbaker) (02/13/90)

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>	Well, I just got my copy of NIB 2.0 in the mail, after many months
>of waiting.  NIB 1.0 was a shareware disk copier program (for copy-protected
>software).  If you sent in the shareware fee, you were put on a list to
>receive version 2.0 for free.  2.0 is a COMMERCIAL PRODUCT, so don't give
>it away!
>	One quirk:  when exiting, NIB instructs you to remove all floppies
>from their drives, or else the Amiga may crash!  I don't want to guess
>what's going on here, but I duly pop my disks out when asked.

When an exact copy of a disk is made, and both disks are inserted at once,
AmigaDOS gets the two disks confused.  If you then eject them, the system
will generally crash.  This happens with most commercial disk copiers, not
just NIB.  It will not happen with Duplicate, since Commodore's copier
gives the new copies a new disk creation date, and allows AmigaDOS to
distinguish between the two disks.

>                                                        Dan
>
> //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
>| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
>| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
>| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
> \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

John Baker
jbaker@gmu.edu

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/14/90)

In article <2562@gmu90x.gmu.edu> jbaker@gmu90x.UUCP (John Baker) writes:
>When an exact copy of a disk is made, and both disks are inserted at once,
>AmigaDOS gets the two disks confused.  If you then eject them, the system
>will generally crash.  This happens with most commercial disk copiers....

	It doesn't happen with Marauder II, nor AmigaDOS DiskCopy.
Therefore, there must be a way around this.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

cs200c38@pc.usl.edu (02/14/90)

In article <4218@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>I wrote:
>>>	One quirk:  when exiting, NIB instructs you to remove all floppies
>>>from their drives, or else the Amiga may crash!
>
>In article <2562@gmu90x.gmu.edu> jbaker@gmu90x.UUCP (John Baker) writes:
>>When an exact copy of a disk is made, and both disks are inserted at once,
>>AmigaDOS gets the two disks confused.  If you then eject them, the system
>>will generally crash.  This happens with most commercial disk copiers....
>
>	It doesn't happen with Marauder II, nor AmigaDOS DiskCopy.
>Therefore, there must be a way around this.
AmigaDOS diskcopy  DOES NOT make an EXACT duplicate...  It DOES happen with
Marauder II - Try making a verbatim copy, then exiting the program, then
waiting for amigaDOS to read both drives then eject disks...  CRASH!
The problem lies in the fact that amigaDOS doesn't expect to see two totally
identical disks.  Marauder temporarily avoids this by suspending the computer's
operation until it is done.

						John B Stelly

(Please - no Email my address is changing this week !!)

4223_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/14/90)

Any copy program that makes exact copies of the source disks can cause
problems if you stop the program without first removing the duplicated
disks.  Diskcopy doesn't because the date of the duplicated disk is
different than the date on the original.

Any time that you have identical disks in different drives you will
lock up the machine.  As long as you do not remove one of the
identical disks or try to access one of the disks you shouldn't
have any problems, but as soon as you do.   YOU'RE TOAST.

john

amiga@uwo.ca    amiga@uwovax.bitnet   vectrex@ria.uucp

bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Bret VanSprewenberg) (02/15/90)

In article <4193@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

>	Well, I just got my copy of NIB 2.0 in the mail, after many months
>of waiting.  NIB 1.0 was a shareware disk copier program (for copy-protected
>software).  If you sent in the shareware fee, you were put on a list to
>receive version 2.0 for free.  2.0 is a COMMERCIAL PRODUCT, so don't give
>it away!

Where can I get the new Nib 2.0?
I have not seen it anywhere yet.
Is the upgrade offer from Nib 1.0 still on?
If so, can anyone tell me how to get this. This is just what I need, is one
more copy program. It'll look great next to Project D. (Which takes almost
anything down) I am hoping Nib 2.0 will back up the some other stuff.

Thanks.
---------------Brett

  * I have no friggin' idea where these words have come from.       *
  *                                                                 *
  * Hey, is that an ELECTRICAL HAZARD: an outlet in standing water? *
  *       // The Computer for    | Brett The Butcher                *
  *   \\ //  an over stuffed     | Send contributions to:           *
  *    \X/   and active          | USENET: (I think this'll do it)  *
  *          imagination.        | ritcv!cci632!sjfc!bpv9073        *

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/15/90)

In article <4218@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>In article <2562@gmu90x.gmu.edu> jbaker@gmu90x.UUCP (John Baker) writes:
>>When an exact copy of a disk is made, and both disks are inserted at once,
>>AmigaDOS gets the two disks confused.  If you then eject them, the system
>>will generally crash.  This happens with most commercial disk copiers....

>	It doesn't happen with Marauder II, nor AmigaDOS DiskCopy.
>Therefore, there must be a way around this.

It was sort of said but I think I'll make it more clear, that in its default
copying mode, Marauder II *does not* make a verbatim copy of the disk.  Like
diskcopy, Marauder puts a new timestamp out on the VTOC (or whatever CA
calls it) of the new disk.

In verbatim mode, though, Marauder does not write a new timestamp, and
AmigaDOS will then be confused when both disks are inserted.

--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"As long as there is a legion of superheros, all else
--			 can surely be made right." -- Sensor Girl