[comp.sys.amiga] Conner CP-340

mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) (02/11/90)

OK guys, now that you have provided me with the specs on the CP-340, maybe
one of you could provide me with the uses of the 7 jumpers on the front
(the end without the power and SCSI connector) of the drive.  I figured out
from trial and mostly error that there are four jumpers on the controller
board that set the SCSI address, but I have no idead what these others are.

I wouldn't care but the damn thing is hanging my controller's software when
it reads that address.  Anyway, I will be talking to Pacific Peripherals about
the software hangs, but the info on those jumpers would really help!

Thanks,

Mike

"Every man needs to believe in something....I believe I'll have another beer."

						- Norm (!)

magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) (02/11/90)

In article <9064@portia.Stanford.EDU> mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) writes:
>OK guys, now that you have provided me with the specs on the CP-340, maybe
>one of you could provide me with the uses of the 7 jumpers on the front
>(the end without the power and SCSI connector) of the drive.  I figured out
>from trial and mostly error that there are four jumpers on the controller
>board that set the SCSI address, but I have no idead what these others are.

Okay, the four jumpers on the controller are not just the SCSI address.
However, you shouldn't need to mess with anything besides these four in
getting it to run correctly.

The jumper settings are labeled E1 through E4 (going from right to left I
believe, looking from the "front"). They are:

  E1:            Parity   (installed disables parity)

  E2 - E4:       SCSI device

    Device #          E2    E3    E4
    ----------------------------------
           0          In    In    In
           1          Out   In    In
           2          In    Out   In
           3          Out   Out   In
           4          In    In    Out
           5          Out   In    Out
           6          In    Out   Out
           7          Out   Out   Out

>I wouldn't care but the damn thing is hanging my controller's software when
>it reads that address.  Anyway, I will be talking to Pacific Peripherals about
>the software hangs, but the info on those jumpers would really help!

If its hanging, first check the SCSI ID on both the software/controller,
and the CP340. They should probably be both set to "0". Once thats done,
check if your controller needs parity enabled or disabled (usually doesn't
matter), and if that fails, check to make sure the scsi 50 pin connector is
installed correctly.  Conner uses a reversed pattern SCSI connector, so Pin
1 is located closest to the power supply connector, instead of at the other
end like some others. I believe there is a lock on the SCSI connector
itself, so it should fit only in one way, but its best to make sure. If
that fails, you might check to make sure that both the formatting software
and the controller are set up right to handle the CP-340 (and are working
right). I know Microbotics needed to make special allowances (they put out
a new ROM revision on the Hardframe [1.3C for Conner]) to make it work
right.

>Thanks,
>
>Mike

Hope that helps,

      Darrin Hyrup
--
Darrin A. Hyrup              // AMIGA Enthusiast         rencon!esfenn!dah
magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM   \X/ & Software Developer   pacbell!sorinc!magik

darrell.grainger@canremote.uucp (DARRELL GRAINGER) (02/13/90)

 I don't know what the specific jumpers on the Conner CP340 are but I
would bet that one of the jumpers control the Start Mode of the drive
and that is probably what is hanging the drive.

Darrell
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

jgh@root.co.uk (Jeremy G Harris) (02/13/90)

In article <9002110930.AA04776@sorinc.UUCP> magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM (Darrin A. Hyrup) writes:
>If its hanging, first check the SCSI ID on both the software/controller,
>and the CP340. They should probably be both set to "0".

No.  The controller's SCSI ID must be _different_ to that of the drive.
The controller (which actually ought to be referred to as a "host interface",
since the disk controller is on the drive for an embedded-controller SCSI
drive) is just another device on the SCSI bus and must have its own identifier.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Harris			jgh@root.co.uk

magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) (02/15/90)

In article <1219@root44.co.uk> jgh@root.co.uk (Jeremy G Harris) writes:
>In article <9002110930.AA04776@sorinc.UUCP> magik%sorinc@PacBell.COM (Darrin A. Hyrup) writes:
>>If its hanging, first check the SCSI ID on both the software/controller,
>>and the CP340. They should probably be both set to "0".
>
>No.  The controller's SCSI ID must be _different_ to that of the drive.
>The controller (which actually ought to be referred to as a "host interface",
>since the disk controller is on the drive for an embedded-controller SCSI
>drive) is just another device on the SCSI bus and must have its own identifier.

By software/controller I was referring to the setup software and/or the
SCSI interface "controller" card for the machine. Not the controller
imbedded in the drive itself. And was meaning that in order to correctly
format the drive, one must make sure that the SCSI ID of the drive must
match the ID that the software is expecting.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

>Jeremy
>--
>Jeremy Harris                   jgh@root.co.uk