[comp.sys.amiga] Game incompatiability

laba-3en@web-1c.berkeley.edu (Raja S Kushalnagar) (02/01/90)

I bought one of those action game packs (From W Germany, BTW), and even
though one of the games was 8-bitishly awful, the rest were not too bad.
But to start those games is awkward.  Rebooting with the C-A-A sequence
will not make most of them start. I have to turn off the Amiga and then
turn it on again, for the games to start.  What's the diff between a cold
reboot and a warm reboot anyway? And then one game refuses to boot at all
on my amiga, though interestingly enough, it is not copy-protected and
when I tried to tun it from the cli, it showed exactly the same behaviour
as with the reboot. When I took it to my dealer, he did not find any problem
with booting it up on a 500. The 2000's and 2500/30's there were being hogged
and we could not test it on those computers, but all the same it is rather
curious, how can a game that can run on a 500 NOT run on my stock 2000HD?

And oh, one more thing, how can I copy BattleChess onto my harddrive?
I tried the apparently obvious solution of assigning dh0: to fh1:, but it
failed miserably. Any pointers? -> not a NULL pointer though :).
FYI, BattleChess is not copy protected and has a program (and icon) which
will let you copy it to dh0:.  I also tried direct copying, but it failed
too.  Oh well.

Does anyone have source code for a more efficient compressing than the Lempel
Ziv one? I am writing a package which is akin to the man pages on Unix, and
the whole program is almost a megabyte, mostly man pages of course. I've
tentatively written come compressing code, which is just plain old Huffman
encoding. I know it ain't efficient, but I couldn't get access to any better
code, especially the Lempel Ziv code - and I am at Berkeley!  Oh well.  But
sometime back I came accross a reference that said that zoo, lharc etc used
more efficient encoding than Lempel Ziv.  Hmm?

	Raja.

P.S. Seeing the New York Knicks play brings a smile to my lips, for in Brit
English, "knicks" are equivalent to "panties". :)

raja@{soda,ocf,athena}.berkeley.edu | root@athena.berkeley.edu | laba-3en@web
	Programmer Analyst I, S & P dept, UC Berkeley.
Disclaimer: I am a poor foreign undergrad sophomore who just turned eighteen
half a year ago; if anything serious happens, I plead juvenile delinquency!

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/04/90)

>And oh, one more thing, how can I copy BattleChess onto my harddrive?
>I tried the apparently obvious solution of assigning dh0: to fh1:, but it
>failed miserably. Any pointers? -> not a NULL pointer though :).
>FYI, BattleChess is not copy protected and has a program (and icon) which
>will let you copy it to dh0:.  I also tried direct copying, but it failed
>too.  Oh well.

Using an editor that will let you edit binary files, do a search/replace
changing all occurences of "DH0" to "FH1".  Don't make the search case
sensitive, BTW.  Recently, a bug in NewZap was reported (here on usenet, as
a matter of fact) that NewZap fails on a search if the string crosses sector
boundaries, so I wouldn't reccomend that program.  I use TxEd+, which works
splendidly! (thanks, Charlie!)

uunet!tronsbox!bleys              BIX: bcavanaugh

"The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"

                             Finagle's First Law

All of the opinions expressed above are mine.  If you want to use them, it's
gonna cost ya!

dfrancis@dsoft.UUCP (Dennis Heffernan) (02/04/90)

	RE Battle Chess on a hard drive

	I remember hearing that a Bug in B.C. caused it to eat hard drives
if you ran it from one.  Don't mean to be alarmist, but you might want to
check
and see if that's been fixed yet.  You might also want to call Interplay and
ask if and how the game can be run from a hard drive.

--
	--dfh	...uunet!tronsbox!dsoft!dfrancis
		"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition

maniac@lil-ed.cs.unlv.edu (Eric J. Schwertfeger) (02/06/90)

     Speaking of game incompatibilities, does Sim City work with a
68010?  If not,
does DeciGel fix it?

Eric Schwertfeger, maniac@jimi.CS.UNLV.EDU

hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) (02/06/90)

In article <1489@jimi.cs.unlv.edu>, maniac@lil-ed.cs.unlv.edu (Eric J. Schwertfeger) writes:
>      Speaking of game incompatibilities, does Sim City work with a
> 68010?  If not, does DeciGel fix it?

Sim City runs great in my 68020 Amiga.  I run decigel in my startup-
sequence, so I'm not sure if Sim City needs it or not.
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (02/06/90)

In article <76.25cdfe74@intersil.uucp> hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) writes:

>Sim City runs great in my 68020 Amiga.  I run decigel in my startup-
>sequence, so I'm not sure if Sim City needs it or not.

Doesn't need DeciGel. Runs even with SetCpu, though I haven't tried
it with my recently remapped interrupt vectors yet.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

gheff@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary R Heffelfinger) (02/08/90)

From article <1489@jimi.cs.unlv.edu>, by maniac@lil-ed.cs.unlv.edu (Eric J. Schwertfeger):

>      Speaking of game incompatibilities, does Sim City work with a
> 68010?  If not,
> does DeciGel fix it?

Dunno, but it if it doesn't, I'm sure that Maxis (the developer) would
be interested in hearing about it.  They've been pretty responsive to
users problems so far, they'd probably fix it.

-Gary

--
             Gary R Heffelfinger ------ gheff@hubcap.clemson.edu
               Clemson University - Info. Systems Development

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (02/10/90)

In article <1990Feb1.060616.16007@agate.berkeley.edu: laba-3en@web-1c (Raja S Kushalnagar) writes:
:And oh, one more thing, how can I copy BattleChess onto my harddrive?
:I tried the apparently obvious solution of assigning dh0: to fh1:, but it
:failed miserably. Any pointers? -: not a NULL pointer though :).
:FYI, BattleChess is not copy protected and has a program (and icon) which
:will let you copy it to dh0:.  I also tried direct copying, but it failed
:too.  Oh well.

	I just made a backup of the disk then NewZapped the utility that
tranfers the progrC'm to the hard drive. Change all occurances of DH0: to
FH1: or whatever you want. It's as simple as that... :-)

:	Raja.
:
:P.S. Seeing the New York Knicks play brings a smile to my lips, for in Brit
:English, "knicks" are equivalent to "panties". :)
:
:raja@{soda,ocf,athena}.berkeley.edu | root@athena.berkeley.edu | laba-3en@web
:	Programmer Analyst I, S & P dept, UC Berkeley.
:Disclaimer: I am a poor foreign undergrad sophomore who just turned eighteen
:half a year ago; if anything serious happens, I plead juvenile delinquency!

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) (02/15/90)

Why not simply mount your HD0: then loadwb and click on BattleChess-DH0?  It
worked for me and I don't even use SCSI hard drives.
and for a text editor, I think the public domain DME will edit binary. This
little program by Matt Dillon is supposed to be one of the best, even compared
to some comercial editors.

 ProLine: danb20@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!danb20
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!danb20@nosc.mil