[comp.sys.amiga] Conner Drives

dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) (02/12/90)

In Message-ID: <9002110930.AA04776@sorinc.UUCP> magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM (Darrin A. Hyrup) posts:

>In article <9064@portia.Stanford.EDU> mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) writes:
>>OK guys, now that you have provided me with the specs on the CP-340, maybe
>>one of you could provide me with the uses of the 7 jumpers on the front
                                                   ^
>>(the end without the power and SCSI connector) of the drive.  I figured out
>>from trial and mostly error that there are four jumpers on the controller
>>board that set the SCSI address, but I have no idead what these others are.

This is where it starts to get interesting...my 2 Conner CP-304's have
have 10 pins on the front in a double row

>>Okay, the four jumpers on the controller are not just the SCSI address.
>However, you shouldn't need to mess with anything besides these four in
>getting it to run correctly.

>The jumper settings are labeled E1 through E4 (going from right to left I
>believe, looking from the "front"). They are:

>  E1:            Parity   (installed disables parity)

>  E2 - E4:       SCSI device

>    Device #          E2    E3    E4
>    ----------------------------------
>           0          In    In    In
>           1          Out   In    In
>           2          In    Out   In
>           3          Out   Out   In
>           4          In    In    Out
>           5          Out   In    Out
>           6          In    Out   Out
>           7          Out   Out   Out

	[ other stuff deleted ]

	And even more intersting, I had mine hooked with all pins OUT and it
	was showing up as SCSI 0 (Unit 3 to the A2090).  We use the same drives
	at work on our AT&T 3B4000 as paging disks.  They're set up as SCSI ID
	7 and have all jumpers IN.

	As a test...I put all jumpers IN, and sure enough, it again showed
	up as SCSI 0, I'll play with other combinations, but don't have time
	right now to do more digging.

	I called Conner the other day, they told me that the pins on the front
	were for test purposes (much like a serial port), but that there
	should have been 2 pins by themselves, two pins cut off and then
	rest of the pins.  The 2 by themselves are the LED pinouts.  When I
	saw my drives weren't set up like this...I just presumed that the
	tech was looking in wrong manual (it happens...no big deal).

	This also goes back to the 788 vs 752 cylinders question.  The
	drives on the 3B4000 definately have 788 cylinders, the sales
	literature I got from Conner definately shows 788 cylinders
	(the technical manual is on it's way...should be here tommorow)
	but I only get 752 and Darrin had posted an earlier message about
	his tech manual only showing 752 cylinders.

	So...is it possible that Conner made 2 different CP-340 series?  The
	2 I have show date codes of 8642 and 8645 (presume year and week
	made).  Early models meet the 752 spec and new models meet the 788
	spec?  Same with the front pins...are there two possible combinations
	of controller boards...one with and one without the LED leads?

	Anyone out there from Conner know for sure?

--
/*
**              Don Curtis    ...boulder!tcr!dcpc!dc

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (02/15/90)

In article <0544.AA0544@dcpc> dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) writes:
*
*In Message-ID: <9002110930.AA04776@sorinc.UUCP> magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM (Darrin A. Hyrup) posts:
*
*
**In article <9064@portia.Stanford.EDU> mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) writes:
***OK guys, now that you have provided me with the specs on the CP-340, maybe
***one of you could provide me with the uses of the 7 jumpers on the front
*                                                   ^
***(the end without the power and SCSI connector) of the drive.  I figured out
***from trial and mostly error that there are four jumpers on the controller
***board that set the SCSI address, but I have no idead what these others are.
*
*This is where it starts to get interesting...my 2 Conner CP-304's have
*have 10 pins on the front in a double row
*
**           7          Out   Out   Out
*
*	[ other stuff deleted ]
	[ lots of stuff deleted ]
*
*	I called Conner the other day, they told me that the pins on the front
*	were for test purposes (much like a serial port), but that there
*	should have been 2 pins by themselves, two pins cut off and then
*	rest of the pins.  The 2 by themselves are the LED pinouts.  When I
*	saw my drives weren't set up like this...I just presumed that the
*	tech was looking in wrong manual (it happens...no big deal).
The tech is correct.  The jumpers on the front of the drive are NOT for
drive id.  Jumpers E1-E4 on the rear of the controller are parity and
drive id.
*
*	This also goes back to the 788 vs 752 cylinders question.  The
*	drives on the 3B4000 definately have 788 cylinders, the sales
*	literature I got from Conner definately shows 788 cylinders
*	(the technical manual is on it's way...should be here tommorow)
*	but I only get 752 and Darrin had posted an earlier message about
*	his tech manual only showing 752 cylinders.

I have two, one is so old it doesn't have places for termination packs, and
they both report 788C, 4H, and 26S/T to my 2091.

Steve
-----
Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400