[comp.sys.amiga] Three Cheers for Commodore

RIDOUT@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil writes:

>In article <3044@caesar.cs.montana.edu>, icsu8212@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Stone) writes:
>local repair shop and got it repaired under warranty.  When they finished
>I went to pick it up they tried to charge me because the found out I did
>not buy it from them ( got it mail order).  well we argued a couple seconds
>and they warrantied it, but said they would not the next time.  When I got

I am pretty sure that they have to honor the warranty even if they did not
sell the machine to you. If they refuse to, you can report them to
CBM and they could stand the chance of losing their official CBM dealer
status. Telling you that they will not do the warranty work next time
(or trying to charge you for it) is just a scare tactic. Scare 'em back:
threaten to call CBM.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/03/90)

>local repair shop and got it repaired under warranty.  When they finished
>I went to pick it up they tried to charge me because the found out I did
>not buy it from them ( got it mail order).  well we argued a couple seconds
>and they warrantied it, but said they would not the next time.

You should call Commodore and report them.  If they're a licensed service
center, they're obligated to provide service to machines under warrantee, no
mater where they were purchased.

uunet!tronsbox!bleys       BIX: bcavanaugh

"The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"

                             Finagle's First Law

gsarff@sarek.UUCP (Gary Sarff) (02/08/90)

In article <25ca4eb3:4302.4comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP>, bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
>>local repair shop and got it repaired under warranty.  When they finished
>>I went to pick it up they tried to charge me because the found out I did
>>not buy it from them ( got it mail order).  well we argued a couple seconds
>>and they warrantied it, but said they would not the next time.
>
>You should call Commodore and report them.  If they're a licensed service
>center, they're obligated to provide service to machines under warrantee, no
>mater where they were purchased.

I don't know about that, my dealer had a letter _from Commodore_, stating
that dealers were not to provide warranty service on machines that were
purchased mail order, even if said machine was still in warranty.  Comments?

eapu030@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) (02/09/90)

In article <00377@sarek.UUCP> gsarff@sarek.UUCP (Gary Sarff) writes:
>>You should call Commodore and report them.  If they're a licensed service
>>center, they're obligated to provide service to machines under warrantee, no
>>mater where they were purchased.
>>

>I don't know about that, my dealer had a letter _from Commodore_, stating
>that dealers were not to provide warranty service on machines that were
>purchased mail order, even if said machine was still in warranty.  Comments?

It all goes to the fact that CBM (Apple and IBM as well) only warent
their product when it is sold from an authorized dealer.  Well since CBM's
dealer agreement specifically states that you may not sell mail-order
product, you can not purchase an Amiga through Mail-Order which does have
a CBM warentee.  Now there will be exceptions to this rule such as SEARS
which can leagally sell the Amiga via Mail Order.

Another interesting point is that as an Amiga dealer I can only get a
manufactuers return authorization (RMA) for products which I have an
invoice number for.  Now the way I read this I can't return a product
which an end-user purchases from another dealer.  Even if it should still
be under warentee.  What are people who purchased there machines at now
defunct (Federated for example) dealers supposed to do?

-Jason-

music@batman.moravian.EDU (music) (02/13/90)

(Commie sucks again!)

Mike.Miller@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Miller) (02/15/90)

BC> Message #912 "Comp.Sys.Amiga" (Read: 1)
BC> Date: 14 Feb 90  19:16:17
BC> From: Bill Cavanaugh
BC>   To: All
BC> Subj: Re: Three Cheers for Commodore (my experence)
BC>
BC> From: bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh)
BC> Date: 3 Feb 90 07:00:20 GMT
BC> Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
BC>
BC> >local repair shop and got it repaired under warranty.  When they finis
BC> >I went to pick it up they tried to charge me because the found out I d
BC> >not buy it from them ( got it mail order).  well we argued a couple se
BC> >and they warrantied it, but said they would not the next time.
BC>
BC> You should call Commodore and report them.  If they're a licensed servi
BC> center, they're obligated to provide service to machines under warrante
BC> mater where they were purchased.
BC>
BC> uunet!tronsbox!bleys       BIX: bcavanaugh
BC>
BC> "The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"
BC>
BC>                              Finagle's First Law
BC> --- D'Bridge 9.21-beta/002094
BC>  * Origin: AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway (1:110/300)

The real truth is, as of Oct 15, 1989, C= no longer authorizes "mail
order" the dealer must deliver the machine from a retail business to the
customer.  Machines purchased mailorder have no warranty...success of a
product is usually a result of the local retailer providing service,
product and expertise in person to the customer, mail order does not
provide this...in general, I have found that mail order customers then
go to the local dealer and demand service and expertise...if the Amiga
community continues to promote mail order, theiy will force the local
dealers into dropping the product for another that is better supported
by their customers...then the complaint will be that there are no local
dealers, as is the case in many areas now!!!!!
"This opinion is my own and I am satisfied with it"

Mike Miller - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!210!Mike.Miller
ARPA: Mike.Miller@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG