[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 trade-in + educ. discount = is this possible ?

rmy@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Rasthiyaadu Yakaa) (02/07/90)

Being a college student, and the owner of an A1000, I was wondering if
it is possible to trade in my A1000 in conjunction with the educational
prices.  The question is, if I use the educ. prices, what do I do with
my A1000 ??

Obviously, the current trade-in policy, $1000 off list price, is NOT to be
expected :-). On the other hand, I certainly think the A1000 is worth more
than the $140 it comes out to be (For $1139 I get the A2000 + keep my
A1000 or for $999 I get the A2000 + no A1000).  The value of the A1000
falls even more if one compares the purchase of the A2000 bundle.

Under these circumstances, would it be simply better to sell the A1000
(say, for around $350) and take the educational offer. Or, if Commodore
was to offer $350 off educational prices with A1000 trade-in :-). Seems
like the latter  step will help phase out the A1000 - if that is what
Commodore's intentions are. (personally, I would rather trade it in -
it seems like retirement time for the trusty A1000).

Please no flames such as aren't the current deals good enough, isn't
C= being generous... . All that is granted. However, the above is a
issue for those in this particular situation ... is it a question of
trade/buy vs sell/buy.  Any others in the same situation ?? Can/will
Commodore consider this situation or is it a question of selling the A1000.

Regards

Yaseen

msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (02/07/90)

In article <22146@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> rmy@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:

>Being a college student, and the owner of an A1000, I was wondering if
>it is possible to trade in my A1000 in conjunction with the educational
>prices.  The question is, if I use the educ. prices, what do I do with
>my A1000 ??
(stuff Deleted)

>Under these circumstances, would it be simply better to sell the A1000
>(say, for around $350) and take the educational offer. Or, if Commodore
>was to offer $350 off educational prices with A1000 trade-in :-). Seems
>like the latter  step will help phase out the A1000 - if that is what
>Commodore's intentions are. (personally, I would rather trade it in -
>it seems like retirement time for the trusty A1000).
>
>Please no flames such as aren't the current deals good enough, isn't
>C= being generous... . All that is granted. However, the above is a
>issue for those in this particular situation ... is it a question of
>trade/buy vs sell/buy.  Any others in the same situation ?? Can/will
>Commodore consider this situation or is it a question of selling the A1000.
>
>Regards
>
>Yaseen

   For those of us who are capable of taking advantage of the educational
program it is almost as if the tradin deal is not there.  The Tradein os
(is) for those people who are not eligable for the educational discount.
Stop playing around with the figures.  Take advantage of the Educational
discount and get a fully loaded system rather than getting just the parts
that the tradein give you.  (Ed program = computer, monitor + extras whereas
tradein is just computer).  If I were in your situation I would get the
educational package, sell your A1000 to someone who wants to upgrade to a
A2000 and use the money from the sale to recover some of the costs of the
educational package.
           Marc Siskin
           Amiga User and Media person for
           The Language Lab at the University of Michigan
Msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu
Insert Standard disclaimer here

jwilliam@esunix.UUCP (Jerry Williams) (02/08/90)

I am in the same situation. I think that we will be seeing alot
of A1000 for sale. And maybe what C= wants will happen anyway.
Like those that can get the Education discount will sell there
A1000 and then the person that buys it will trade it in.
I need to find out what is considered "SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS".
Is this looked at like hours per quarter or total hours towards
a degree. I have been taking 4 hours per quarter for several
quarters and plan on doing it for a long time :-). Is this
enough to qualify? Anyway if I can get the discount I will buy
a A2000HD and you will see me selling A1000, Starboard II 2Meg,
and a A1010. If I can't I will just be selling what is left over.
It would just make things easier not to sell the A1000.

--
Jerry Williams @ Evans & Sutherland    560 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ihnp4,ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!jwilliam

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (02/10/90)

In article <22146@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, rmy@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Rasthiyaadu Yakaa) writes:

> [lines deleted]
>
> Obviously, the current trade-in policy, $1000 off list price, is NOT to be
> expected :-). On the other hand, I certainly think the A1000 is worth more
> than the $140 it comes out to be (For $1139 I get the A2000 + keep my
> A1000 or for $999 I get the A2000 + no A1000).  The value of the A1000
> falls even more if one compares the purchase of the A2000 bundle.

Look at it in comparison to the A2000HD system.  It is your A1000 + $1599 gets
you a A2000HD.  If you keep your A1000 and get the educational discount, It
will cost you $1619.  Now your A1000 that you bought 5 years ago for a list
price of $1295 is now only worth $20.  And did anyone notice that the ad in
AmigaWorld said "Commodore will be introducing many new exciting technologies
for the Amiga 2000 series in the 1990's, and we want you to be able to take
advantage of them all."  You A500 owners better start saving up your money now
when C= orphans you and offers you this "Computer Deal of the Decade" as well!

And while I am at it, why doesn't C= give you a little longer to save up some
money for this "FANTASTIC" upgrade?  How many of you have an extra $1000 laying
around or could save up $1000-$1500 in 7 weeks?  I know I sure can't.

C='s ad should have fairly taken into account previous investments.  The ad
SHOULD have said:

Original investment + Cash	Lets you buy		We gain an additonal
--------------------------	------------		--------------------
A1000 + $1599			A2000 worth $1899	$995
  (worth $1295 originally)

Just think (I did), all you A1000 owners out there who helped put the Amiga
computer where it is today only owe us $999 additional dollars and get a machine
that does everything you A1000 does now and also provides you with expansion
capabilities you may never need!  In return, we will agree to introduce many
new technologies for your system until we need to change the hardware again
which will mandate your paying us additional dollars to keep the same
functionality.  Don't worry A500 owners, we have a DEAL for you too in a few
more years!

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/12/90)

earle> And did anyone notice that the ad in
earle> AmigaWorld said "Commodore will be introducing many new exciting technologies
earle> for the Amiga 2000 series in the 1990's, and we want you to be able to take
earle> advantage of them all."  You A500 owners better start saving up your money now
earle> when C= orphans you and offers you this "Computer Deal of the Decade" as well!

Give me a break.  Commodore will be releasing new, exciting
technologies for the A2000 because it was designed to accept them.
That's the difference between the A2000 and the A500.  If you wanted
those new, exciting technologies, you should have bought an A2000 to
start with.

Because Commodore will be offering A2000-specific peripherals does not
mean they will be orphaning the most popular machine of the Amiga
line.

				--M
--
__  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
\/  portuesi@sgi.com	Entry Systems Division -- Engineering

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (02/13/90)

On 7 Feb 90 12:58:29 GMT you said:

>Being a college student, and the owner of an A1000, I was wondering if
>it is possible to trade in my A1000 in conjunction with the educational
>prices.  The question is, if I use the educ. prices, what do I do with
>my A1000 ??

 [Stuff Deleted]

>Please no flames such as aren't the current deals good enough, isn't
>C= being generous... . All that is granted. However, the above is a
>issue for those in this particular situation ... is it a question of
>trade/buy vs sell/buy.  Any others in the same situation ?? Can/will
>Commodore consider this situation or is it a question of selling the A1000.

     Sorry, but you are being greedy.  Think of if you had bought a Mac Plus
 instead of an A1000.  A worse computer, for more money, and no upgrade.
 Or, god forbid, a 512k Mac (or 128k Mac!).

     Most computer companies would tell you "Your computer is outdated, so
 EAT IT!"  Commodore could save a lot of money by ignoring A1000 owners.

>Regards
>
>Yaseen

     /*   F. Michael Theilig               GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet

            "There is no Dark Side in the Moon, really ...
                                  matter of fact it's all dark."       */

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:

>     Most computer companies would tell you "Your computer is outdated, so
> EAT IT!"  Commodore could save a lot of money by ignoring A1000 owners.

no. I am sure CBM is still making a profit on the machines it sells even
at the Educational discount. Just not as much. They sure are not losing
money.

I doubt that CBM will allow amiga 1000 trade-in and educational discount tho.
That would be pushing it.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406