[comp.sys.amiga] 1000 whinings

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) (02/13/90)

>From: papa%pollux.usc.edu%mwunix@mwvm.mitre.org (papa at pollux.usc.edu@MWUNIX)
>To:  okay@tafs (OKAY at TAFS)
>Subject: Re: a1000 and 1.4 The official release
>
>In article <26764@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>>I think it is grand of CBM to again offer an upgrade!  Other companies should
>>be so magnanimous and actually respect and support their customers.

Me too!!..despite being notorious for hardware prob in some of their early
machines, When CBM puts their mind to it, they seem to do a great job....

>So, why don't we stop all the whining and moaning?  First, it is stale.
>I've read the same stuff two years ago.  Second, it is unwarranted.
>Gee, what whould have happened if no upgrade was offered?  Whould you
>have started shooting at Commodore? :-)

Because A1000 owners have been lulled into a sense of false security all these
years thats why! While everybody else has fallen victim to the march of
technology (or at least marketing and sales schemes) A1000 users have been
mercifully spared obsolescence for closing on 6 years now.  While the Apple II,
Old Macs, the PC/XT, The Adam, the C64, the TI99/4A, the Atari 8 bits have all
bit the dust in terms of usefulness and manufacturer support, the Amiga
community has remained relatively unscathed. And further lends to the myth that
the Amiga is a mythical "immortal" machine. Hey, if everybody else had replaced
or upgraded their machines twice and were *JUST* now catching up to the same
machine I had 5 years ago, I'd start to think I was invincible too...

Now, suddenly when the bell tolls for they, there is a great whining and protest
throughout the land, despite all CBMs efforts to provide an escape route for
those wanting to move ahead.

"THEY *CAN'T* extinct our machine...*WE* were first, *WE* look the best, *WE'RE*
the only TRUE Amiga users...you owe your 2000's existence to *OUR* 1000!!!"

---Sound familiar??...sounds all too familiar to me...Hey, the 1000 is a great
machine, but being a progenitor doesn't excuse it from The Fate That Must
Meet Us All. You don't see people selling WHIRLWIND or ENIAC upgrades do you?

>Comp.sys.amiga is becoming more and more the pulpit for cry babies.  I
>guess I'm happy of the split now.  If this rubbish continues, then it
>is really time to read only comp.sys.amiga.{tech & hardware}.

(*Increase temp to 451 degrees*)
agreed...We have the "But we were first, we can't be obsolete" A1000 groupies
 over in one corner and the "The current Amigas stink, Why can't CBM stick an
 IRIS 4D/370 in an Amiga box and sell it for < $3K" gospel according to Mr.
 Knapp and his disciples in the other.

 Rounding off the C.S.A Cacaphonic orchestra
 there are the "Dnet/UUCP/Arp/Arexx Agonizers" whose chorus of "Why isn't
 freeware/shareware standardized by committee?" can be heard gronking across
 a screen near you.
(*Flame off*)

Just remember,
If you were dealing with the Rainbow Fruit Company or Imperialistic Blue
Machines, you would have been out $10,000 3 years ago. As it is, you'll
only be out 1/10 that now.

>-- Marco
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

---Steve
-------------
Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG   Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
					"Never let reality stand in the way
					 of a good media campaign"---MacWeek

Disclaimer:"Mine...minemineminemineminemine!!!"

jmoore@atisun.dt.navy.mil (Jim Moore) (02/14/90)

   Fellow 1000 owners :

   Let's see what these upstart 2000 owners sound like in a couple
   of years when Commodore decides to give THEM 1 last chance....

   Really, lets wait until we really find out whether 1.4 will run on the 1000.

   The next question is : does it really pay off

   My answer is : probably not.  The price of the 2000 will probably drop this
   year.  Can you wait 6 months and end up with @ machines for the price of 1?

   So, go on you 2000 owners, bawl us out for "griping/crying/etc..." but
   remember this : our machine looks better than yours :->

   Jim Moore
   sundc!capitol!moore@east.sun.com

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/14/90)

jim>    My answer is : probably not.  The price of the 2000 will probably drop this
jim>    year.  Can you wait 6 months and end up with @ machines for the price of 1?

good point.  Eventually the price of the 2000 will be likely cheap
enough that we can buy it outright for the same price as the trade-in.

jim>    So, go on you 2000 owners, bawl us out for "griping/crying/etc..." but
jim>    remember this : our machine looks better than yours :->

It's also quieter too :-)

				--M
--
__  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
\/  portuesi@sgi.com	Entry Systems Division -- Engineering

    "Why you?  Because you're Electro-Cop, the best there is."

alex@bilver.UUCP (Alex Matulich) (02/16/90)

In article <PORTUESI.90Feb14084039@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>jim>    So, go on you 2000 owners, bawl us out for "griping/crying/etc..." but
>jim>    remember this : our machine looks better than yours :->
>
>It's also quieter too :-)

Except when the disk drives are gronking.  :-)

Seriously, I think the most cost effective way for Amiga 1000 owners to get
the functionality of the new chipset is to buy the Rejuvenator.  This is
especially attractive to people like me who have invested alot in peripherals.