[comp.sys.amiga] uncensored wild copper?

In <21924@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
> Comments about the "Wild Copper" demo
>
>So does anyone out there have the *unaltered* version of this demo?  I find
>the idea of this sort of censorship much more offensive than a few foul words.

Censorship? Nope. The strings are perfectly visible on a PAL Amiga. NTSC just
doesn't have enough lines.

-larry

--
Gallium Aresnide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (02/09/90)

I just FTPed and downloaded the "Wild Copper" demo from somewhere (I don't
remember where).  With all the talk there was about how this demo contained an
offensive message, I was surprised to see no text; I ran "strings" on it, and
sure enough, there is such a message in the executable.  By fiddling with
vhold, I can see that this message used to scroll across the bottom of the
screen until someone stomped on the binary to remove it.

So does anyone out there have the *unaltered* version of this demo?  I find
the idea of this sort of censorship much more offensive than a few foul words.

		-- Jamie

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (02/10/90)

In article <21924@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
> I just FTPed and downloaded the "Wild Copper" demo from somewhere (I don't
> remember where).  With all the talk there was about how this demo contained an
> offensive message, I was surprised to see no text; I ran "strings" on it, and
> sure enough, there is such a message in the executable.  By fiddling with
> vhold, I can see that this message used to scroll across the bottom of the
> screen until someone stomped on the binary to remove it.
>
> So does anyone out there have the *unaltered* version of this demo?  I find
> the idea of this sort of censorship much more offensive than a few foul words.
>
> 		-- Jamie

Relax, Jamie.  The reason why you don't see the message in "Wild Copper"
is because it is a demo from Europe.  Europe uses the PAL standard which
has  a higher vertical resolution than our own standard.  If you notice,
you can just see the top of the scrolling message at the very bottom  of
your screen.

--
  |\  |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423            |  /|
  |   |   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  |   |

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/10/90)

In article <2518@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) writes:
>Relax, Jamie.  The reason why you don't see the message in "Wild Copper"
>is because it is a demo from Europe.  Europe uses the PAL standard which
>has  a higher vertical resolution than our own standard.  If you notice,
>you can just see the top of the scrolling message at the very bottom  of
>your screen.

	My copy (also PAL) runs just fine on my NTSC Amiga, and I can
see all of the message.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

bard@jessica.Stanford.EDU (David Hopper) (02/10/90)

In article <21924@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> Jamie Zawinski <jwz@teak.berkeley.edu> writes:
>I just FTPed and downloaded the "Wild Copper" demo from somewhere (I don't
>remember where).  With all the talk there was about how this demo contained an
>offensive message, I was surprised to see no text; I ran "strings" on it, and
>sure enough, there is such a message in the executable.  By fiddling with
>vhold, I can see that this message used to scroll across the bottom of the
>screen until someone stomped on the binary to remove it.
>
>So does anyone out there have the *unaltered* version of this demo?  I find
>the idea of this sort of censorship much more offensive than a few foul words.
>
>		-- Jamie

Hear Hear!  I have the Doc Awesome demo; this also has some bad language in it
(albeit partially cut off on an NTSC screen) and this demo remains the most
impressive music demo I have ever seen/heard on the Amiga.

Let the pirates make their demos!  Just don't support the piracy.

--Dave
 Dave Hopper		  _____		|
 bard@jessica.Stanford.EDU   |		|  "Gee, Lion-O, I didn't know the
/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|XXXXXXI_	|   Sword could do THAT!"

sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (02/10/90)

Did you know that with preferences, you can move your screen up or down?
Use the blue "screen" in the middle of the preferences screen to do this.
AMH

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/11/90)

Jamie Zawinski Writes....
>I just FTPed and downloaded the "Wild Copper" demo from somewhere (I don't
>remember where).  With all the talk there was about how this demo contained an
>offensive message, I was surprised to see no text; I ran "strings" on it, and
>sure enough, there is such a message in the executable.  By fiddling with
>vhold, I can see that this message used to scroll across the bottom of the
>screen until someone stomped on the binary to remove it.
>
>So does anyone out there have the *unaltered* version of this demo?  I find
>the idea of this sort of censorship much more offensive than a few foul words.

No one did anything to the demo.  It was created in Europe, and it's PAL.
They've got more lines on the screen than us NTSC folks do, so the demo goes
down to the bottom of our screens and keeps going.

     /************************************************************
     * Everything above is copyright me.  All rights unreserved. *
     * uunet!tronsbox!bleys         BIX: bcavanaugh              *
     * "The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"       *
     *                              Finagle's First Law          *
     *                                 J. Pournelle              *

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (02/13/90)

> [statements that the wildcopper demo on xanth.cs.odu.edu is a censored
>  version]

The reason you can't see the text is because the demo is designed to run on
a PAL Amiga.  PAL has 256 vertical lines in lo-res on the Amiga so if you
run the demo on an NTSC Amiga you lose the bottom 56 lines--the scrolling text.

The solution is to get a PAL Amiga or convince the demo programmers (this
particular demo is from France as you know from reading the text) to produce
demos that are compatible with NTSC.  You'll notice that many/all of these
European demos are meant for PAL (wonder of wonders!) since PAL is used in
Europe.  Darn!

 /  Baird McIntosh (2nd yr CS/Math major, University of Missouri-Columbia)
<--   c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet
   "Every multitasking system needs a talking clock..." -- Andy Finkel

root@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Privileged Account) (02/15/90)

In article <11019@baldrick.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>The solution is to get a PAL Amiga or convince the demo programmers (this
>particular demo is from France as you know from reading the text) to produce
>demos that are compatible with NTSC.  You'll notice that many/all of these
>European demos are meant for PAL (wonder of wonders!) since PAL is used in
>Europe.  Darn!

It would be an even better idea to have all programmers test for the
screen size if they open a screen or a window. There are just *too many*
programs (from the American side of the Atlantic) that plainly ignore
the fact that my Workbench screen is 672 * 266 pixels, and insist on
opening screens of 640 * 200, or that limit their window sizes to that.

> /  Baird McIntosh (2nd yr CS/Math major, University of Missouri-Columbia)
><--   c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet

ovb11@cs.kun.nl (Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert)
Freely_Distributable=Greetings(Not_For_Any_Commercial_Purpose)->
        Olaf.Seibert;

Astounding News! By Express Via Norfolk!   OS+2 is a trademark of

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (02/15/90)

> I just FTPed and downloaded the "Wild Copper" demo from somewhere (I don't
> remember where).  With all the talk there was about how this demo contained an
> offensive message, I was surprised to see no text; I ran "strings" on it, and
> sure enough, there is such a message in the executable.  By fiddling with
> vhold, I can see that this message used to scroll across the bottom of the
> screen until someone stomped on the binary to remove it.
>
> So does anyone out there have the *unaltered* version of this demo?  I find
> the idea of this sort of censorship much more offensive than a few foul words.
>
> -- Jamie

There are more than just a few offensive words in this demo..there are
actually graphics in the scroll-text of parts of the human anatomy!  Anyway, I
sent the complete, unsensored version to Xanth so it should be up there.  Just
ask Tad about it.  Actually the version I sent up was the Beta version of the
Demo and it has a bug in the RvB demo's scroll text I believe.  Otherwise it's
complete and works fine.

-- Bob
_______________________ Pro-Graphics BBS  201/469-0049 ________________________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

dueker@xenon.arc.nasa.gov (Chris Dueker) (02/16/90)

In article <1047@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl>, root@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl writes...

>It would be an even better idea to have all programmers test for the
>screen size if they open a screen or a window. There are just *too many*
>programs (from the American side of the Atlantic) that plainly ignore
>the fact that my Workbench screen is 672 * 266 pixels, and insist on
>opening screens of 640 * 200, or that limit their window sizes to that.
>
>ovb11@cs.kun.nl (Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert)
>Freely_Distributable=Greetings(Not_For_Any_Commercial_Purpose)->
>        Olaf.Seibert;

I'm all for that!  However, other than allowing a window size to go up
to 672 x 266, what else is needed (or useful) for both types?  How does
one test for PAL vs NTSC environment?  Anything else?

"Ah, Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intellegence!"
"Oh, thank you, Master!"             - from the movie, TIME BANDITS
dueker@xenon.arc.nasa.gov        |   Chris Dueker (The Code Slinger)
dueker@krypton.arc.nasa.gov      |   Computer Sciences Corp.
duke@well.sf.ca.us               |   Mtn. View, CA