[comp.sys.amiga] Ansi C vs Aztec C

lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) (02/13/90)

I was wondering since Aztec C version 5.0 claims to be full ansi c.
Has the Ansi Standard for the C language been finalized.

Aztec C also claims to have full Ansi libraries.  Can anyone enlighten
me as to whether there have been any libraries added since 3.6.
or is it just that the ones contained have been modified to conform to
ansi standard.

Thanks

Lance Holmes

mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com (Mike Shawaluk) (02/15/90)

In article <1463@raybed2.UUCP> lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) writes:
>I was wondering since Aztec C version 5.0 claims to be full ansi c.
>Has the Ansi Standard for the C language been finalized.

The following is quoted from the Aztec C Reference Manual, Chapter 3,
Language Specification, page 3-1 (without permission, of course):

  "The Aztec C68K compiler for the Amiga is entirely compatible with the
  proposed draft ANSI standard for C.  This means that porting programs which
  conform to the ANSI standard to the Aztec C68K compiler should be a very
  straightforward process, with few if any modifications to the code.

  "In addition to ANSI compatibility, Aztec C also has a number of library
  functions and compiler switches which provide a fair level of UNIX v7 C,
  UNIX System 3 C, UNIX System V C, and XENIX C compatibility."

There's a lot of additional information in this chapter in regard to ANSI C
compatibility, including function prototyping, function definitions, etc.
Perhaps someone else who is more fully versed in the libraries and their
compatibility re: ANSI could comment...
--
   - Mike Shawaluk
"Rarely have we seen a mailer  ->  DOMAIN: mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com

ewing@se-sd.NCR.COM (David Ewing) (02/16/90)

In article <1463@raybed2.UUCP> lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) writes:
>I was wondering since Aztec C version 5.0 claims to be full ansi c.
>Has the Ansi Standard for the C language been finalized.

Yes.  The  X3J11 Committee accepted the proposal in December, 1989.
It was unchanged from the December 1988 draft.

Dave Ewing
ewing@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com