[comp.sys.amiga] DeskJet printer

slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa) (06/06/89)

I'd like to hear from people using the HP Deskjet or Deskjet Plus printer.

How well does the Amiga use its capabilities? Does it do a good job in
desktop publishing applications? I'm particularly interested in whether
the current driver is strictly pixel-oriented, or whether it is able
to use the line-drawing capabilities of the printer.

I've heard that a Postscript emulator has been written for use with the
IBM. I assume it's too optimistic to hope that such a thing has been done
or planned on the Amiga. However, since I have an IBM that I occasionally
turn on, I suppose I could use it as a printer controller. Has anyone
seen the output of this emulator, and how decent is it?

Any other observations on the Deskjet would be appreciated.

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (06/06/89)

(Steve Costa) writes:
> I'd like to hear from people using the HP Deskjet or Deskjet Plus printer.

Okay!  Here I am!

> How well does the Amiga use its capabilities? Does it do a good job in
> desktop publishing applications? I'm particularly interested in whether
> the current driver is strictly pixel-oriented, or whether it is able
> to use the line-drawing capabilities of the printer.

I hate to rain on the parade, but the printer doesn't have general vector
capability---it can draw horizontal and vertical rules, but you have to
be really careful in how you specify them or the printhead will go wild.

But even working on a pixel by pixel basis, the DeskJet Plus is very
fast; it dumps a full page of 300 dpi graphics in a minute.

> I've heard that a Postscript emulator has been written for use with the
> IBM. I assume it's too optimistic to hope that such a thing has been done
> or planned on the Amiga.

Why do you assume?  The Amiga is much more forefront than the PC.  A
PostScript interpreter has already been done and should appear in
comp.amiga.binaries anytime now.  It ain't perfect, but it's pretty good.

> Any other observations on the Deskjet would be appreciated.

Drawbacks:  The ink is water-soluble.  Just don't read the letters in
the rain, and you'll be fine.

Drawing large black areas can cause the ink to pool---it'll dry fine.

The output quality depends highly on the paper used and the *side* of
the page used---experiment before deciding on a paper to use.

The envelope feeding is the best I've seen on any printer, laser or
otherwise.  It's actually very usable!

The DeskJet Plus is several times faster than the DeskJet at graphics.
It's worth the extra bucks.

The printer is highly recommended.  I can't imagine why anyone would
get a dot-matrix printer if they can afford one of these.  ($700 at
Fry's for the DJ+!)

-tom

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (06/07/89)

In article <7549@hoptoad.uucp> slc@hoptoad.UUCP (Steve Costa) writes:
>I'd like to hear from people using the HP Deskjet or Deskjet Plus printer.

Yo.

>How well does the Amiga use its capabilities? Does it do a good job in
>desktop publishing applications? I'm particularly interested in whether
>the current driver is strictly pixel-oriented, or whether it is able
>to use the line-drawing capabilities of the printer.

Well, it doesn't do real great when using any of the fancy features like
cartridge or soft fonts, landscape mode (Plus only), proportional fonts,
or the like.  In fact, the Preferences printer device doesn't know about
this kind of stuff at all to my knowledge.  However, text output looks
wonderful, and I think everything works.  (I'm having trouble getting 12
pitch rather than the default 10 pitch, but I haven't looked at it too
hard.)

Graphics is another story.  The graphics capability of the 1.3 drivers
is improved tremendously over 1.2 and earlier, so that it's possible to
get decent printouts.  You still have the problem that the screen
resolution is so much lower than the printer resolution, so if you print
it out large, it will be blocky.  If you work with large bitmaps (in
dpaint or express paint) and print it out with integer scaling, you can
get some decent results.

The bottom line is it depends on your software.  I bought my Plus mainly
for use with AmigaTeX.  This is a great combination!  Other software
that is capable of generating graphics for high resolution devices
should also work well.  This hopefully includes PageStream, Professional
Draw, but I can't verify it.  (I probably will soon, though.)
Professional Page will still give blocky output, from what I hear, since
it's mainly geared for Postscript.  Any software (i.e. WordPerfect) that
strictly uses text mode should work quite well.  Oh, yeah, the PlotOnJet
program recently posted on the net gives *wonderful* "plots" of Aegis
Draw{+,2000} files.

>I've heard that a Postscript emulator has been written for use with the
>IBM. I assume it's too optimistic to hope that such a thing has been done
>or planned on the Amiga. However, since I have an IBM that I occasionally

PrintScript exists for the Amiga.  It is not a complete interpreter, and
comes with a very limited selection of fonts, but for the price (around
$79?) I've heard nice things about its output.  It's slow though.

>Any other observations on the Deskjet would be appreciated.

I would recommend the DeskJet Plus wholeheartedly if it weren't for the
potential problems with the applications software.  This situation
should definitely improve as time goes on.  For now, I might suggest
that you find out just how the specific software you want to use does
with it.  The only software that I can verify gives professional-
looking graphics is AmigaTeX* and Draw+/PlotOnJet.  Some others I
may get a chance to try out soon.

*AmigaTeX does text, yes, but it does as a bitmap, because it
supplies its own fonts, and the DeskJet doesn't have enough ram to
download all the necessary fonts.  So, in that sense, it's graphics.
And the actual graphics (using PiCTeX) are very nice, too.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

ilsa@well.UUCP (ilsa) (06/07/89)

In article <7549@hoptoad.uucp> slc@hoptoad.UUCP (Steve Costa) writes:
>I've heard that a Postscript emulator has been written for use with the
>IBM. I assume it's too optimistic to hope that such a thing has been done
>or planned on the Amiga.

Not *too* optimistic--I bought PrintScript a month or two ago from
Pixelations and I'm pretty happy with it.  It only comes with two
fonts, Times and Helv clones, though.  And it's not complete PostScript;
for instance, it supports only rectangular clipping paths.  You do
need a couple of megs of memory to do complex pages (giant stroked
font outlines with graphics, f'rinstance) at 300dpi.

You can use it with any Preferences printer, and it comes with a couple
of drivers (for DeskJet & LaserJet) that use the printers' RLE
capabilities to speed things up a bit...in my experience a 300dpi
page that takes 25 minutes to print via Preferences takes about 20 with
the Pixelations driver.  (Yeah, minutes!  It's a lot cheaper than getting
a PostScript printer, but slooow...(same for the pc-clone programs,
though))

For my purposes (letters, flyers, Charm School propaganda) it's a
good deal.

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (06/07/89)

In article <9748@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:

>The DeskJet Plus is several times faster than the DeskJet at graphics.
>It's worth the extra bucks.
>
>-tom

    Does anyone know if the DeskJet is upgradable to the DeskJet Plus and if
    so how much the upgrade is?? Is it a Hardware differance or new software?

    Please E-mail unless you feel the whole net would benifit.

    Monty Saine

"	All side effects are effects."
"	We can never do merely one thing."
"			--First Law of Ecology"

jn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jerome Lamont Napson) (02/06/90)

Could anyone witha DeskJet printer post or send me mail about your
thoughts on the disadvantages and advantages of the printer.  I'm
graduating in May and I can get one here at school for $475.00  I'm
wondering whether it's a bargain or if I should just leave it alone and
get something else.

						-Jerome

marco@hpuamsa.UUCP (Marco Lesmeister TSS) (02/07/90)

I think the deskjet is a really GREAT product.

You get laserjet quality for the price of a matrix printer.
It's well supported on the Amiga as well, I know, because I tried it.

You could also think about buying a deskjet plus for more speed, or
if you want a laserjet (I don't know why) a laserjet IIP

Good luck with it, because it's really a bargain,

Marco Lesmeister         |\    /|
hpuamsa!marco (6544)     | \  / |
Systems Consulting       |  \/  |
Hewlett Packard Holland  |      |____

marco@hpuamsa.UUCP (Marco Lesmeister TSS) writes:

>You could also think about buying a deskjet plus for more speed, or
>if you want a laserjet (I don't know why) a laserjet IIP

I just read (in BYTE I believe) that there is a POSTSCRIPT cartridge out
for the HP laserjet II. So the guy who was wondering whether to get an
HP laserjet II, or a postscript printer... now you can have both.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (02/16/90)

>>You could also think about buying a deskjet plus for more speed, or
>>if you want a laserjet (I don't know why) a laserjet IIP

>I just read (in BYTE I believe) that there is a POSTSCRIPT cartridge out
>for the HP laserjet II. So the guy who was wondering whether to get an
>HP laserjet II, or a postscript printer... now you can have both.

Or you can get a Deskjet and Pixelscript to print postscript.

I would recommend getting a DeskJet Plus if you can get the same kind
of deal. The price you quote for a DeskJet is pretty good though.

I am very happy with mine - great graphics (if only black and white/
greyscale).

It really is as good as a laser printer.

The ink will smear if you get it wet, but then again your not supposed
to get your printouts wet anyhow.

While it is not as fast as a laser jet, it is more than quick enough for
a single user.

Is you want to print postscript files then you can get Pixelscript.
The Demos I have seen are great, and it does a good job.

HOWEVER -- it doesn't work too well on a 512k machine. :-(
(Then again -- now days lots of good software won't work on a 512k
 machine.)

Dave S.