[comp.sys.amiga] Autoconfig

joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) (04/22/87)

In article <1203@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:

> The whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need DIP switches.
> ..Bob

No, the whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need addmem. The board
must know where it resides and tell dos where that is at boot time. You
still need switches to tell the board where it goes. Otherwise it would
be set at the factory and unchangeable.

Joel Swank
Tektronix, Redmond, Oregon

perry@sfsup.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <1107@tekred.TEK.COM>, joels@tekred.UUCP writes:
> In article <1203@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> >
> > The whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need DIP switches.
> > ..Bob
>
> No, the whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need addmem. The board
> must know where it resides and tell dos where that is at boot time. You
> still need switches to tell the board where it goes. Otherwise it would
> be set at the factory and unchangeable.

Excuse me  Joel,  but  go  read  the  docs. The point of Autoconfig is not to
have jumpers or switches to assign addresses. The insider does NOT autoconfig
it is simply automatically recognized by sheer luck at the exec checks C00000
when constructing the memory lists.

Automatically recognized is definately NOT autoconfig.

Autoconfig is a Zorro Bus Specification term which defines bus map allocation
logic which allows  a board  and the Amiga to NEGOTIATE a base address of the
board.

Perry S. Kivolowitz
ASDG Incorporated
(201)  540 - 9670

fdi@arnav.UUCP (Flight Dynamics) (04/24/87)

In article <1107@tekred.TEK.COM>, joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) writes:
> In article <1203@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> >
> > The whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need DIP switches.
> > ..Bob
>
> No, the whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need addmem. The board
> must know where it resides and tell dos where that is at boot time. You
> still need switches to tell the board where it goes. Otherwise it would
> be set at the factory and unchangeable.
>
> Joel Swank
> Tektronix, Redmond, Oregon

   I was under the impression that part of the boot sequence was for
   the Amiga to check the bus for any peripherals, find out how much
   memory space needed by each, and then assign a memory range for
   each.  If this is the way it works then DIP switches would not be
   needed (or even useful) for address space selection.  What they
   might be used for, however, is to define how much memory space is
   needed for the specific configuration of that board.  In other
   words, if the board was expandable, say from 1 Meg to 2 Meg, the
   DIP switches could be used to program how the board responded to
   the power up sequence.  Since I'm not familiar with the product
   being discussed I can't say whether this is what the switches are
   in fact used for, it just seems like a reasonable use.

	Gary Albert
	Flight Dynamics, Inc
	...!arnav!fdi

hah@isum.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (04/24/87)

In article <1107@tekred.TEK.COM> joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) writes:
>In article <1203@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>>
>> The whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need DIP switches.
>> ..Bob
>
>No, the whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need addmem. The board
>must know where it resides and tell dos where that is at boot time. You
>still need switches to tell the board where it goes. Otherwise it would
>be set at the factory and unchangeable.
>
>Joel Swank

What really happens is the EXEC during boot poles the AUTO-CONFIG devices
sequentialy and each in turn responds with type of board, memory, SCSI, etc.,
and if there is any RAM the physical size of the RAM.  The EXEC then sends
the board the starting address of the RAM which is latched into a register
and used with a comparator to determine if the board has been accessed.
If a board has something like a SCSI port there are decodes in the AUTO-
CONFIG sequence to allow for the booting of the device handler.  Also
there is a continuation bit that allows more than one type of device or
devices and memory to be on the same board; each in turn will have its
own base address register and compatitor.

Hans

jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) (04/25/87)

In article <1357@sfsup.UUCP> perry@sfsup.UUCP writes:
>In article <1107@tekred.TEK.COM>, joels@tekred.UUCP writes:
>> In article <1203@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>> >
>> > The whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need DIP switches.
>> > ..Bob
>>
>> No, the whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need addmem. The board
>> must know where it resides and tell dos where that is at boot time. You
>> still need switches to tell the board where it goes. Otherwise it would
>> be set at the factory and unchangeable.
>
>Excuse me  Joel,  but  go  read  the  docs.

	I don't have the docs ... (but I do have the Insider; I'll post my
experience in a moment.)

>The point of Autoconfig is not to
>have jumpers or switches to assign addresses. The insider does NOT autoconfig
>it is simply automatically recognized by sheer luck at the exec checks C00000
>when constructing the memory lists.

	Sheer luck?  ... could you elaborate?

>Automatically recognized is definately NOT autoconfig.

	But there's another process of "autorecog"?

>Autoconfig is a Zorro Bus Specification term which defines bus map allocation
>logic which allows  a board  and the Amiga to NEGOTIATE a base address of the
>board.

     Are you sure that it doesn't autoconfig?  Or is it that
the  autoconfig has nothing to do with the dip switch?  When
reading the Insider doc I was under the impression that  the
dip  switches  settings  are necessary for 1.1 Kickstart and
Addmem.  Upon closer examination it doesn't specify one  way
or the other.

     One other question:  will I be able to  use  your  2001
expansion box with the Insider?  I hope I can.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
(716) 636-3191, 3180

UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@buffalo-cs
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs
GE: jmpiazza

In article <1357@sfsup.UUCP> perry@sfsup.UUCP writes:

>Excuse me  Joel,  but  go  read  the  docs. The point of Autoconfig is not to
>have jumpers or switches to assign addresses. The insider does NOT autoconfig
>it is simply automatically recognized by sheer luck at the exec checks C00000
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^

BS Alert - sheer luck =? careful planning...

>when constructing the memory lists.
>
>Automatically recognized is definately NOT autoconfig.
>
>Autoconfig is a Zorro Bus Specification term which defines bus map allocation
>logic which allows  a board  and the Amiga to NEGOTIATE a base address of the
>board.
>
>Perry S. Kivolowitz >ASDG Incorporated (201)  540-9670

Perry, calm down!

Kickstart 1.2 goes to a lot of work to find memory in several places.

It looks at 000000-01FFFF and calls this chip memory...

It looks at C00000-D7FFFF and calls this fast memory...

It performs an automatic configuration ritual and depending on the the
results obtained from each board (nominally PIC) may allocate the board
a spot in the memory map and may add that spot to the memory list.

ALL OF THIS IS AUTOMATIC!

If a memory board does not map into one of these address ranges, does not
respond to the auto-config protocol or does not otherwise behave as would
be expected then you have to execute some kind of "addmem" program to fix
up the memory lists.

To add memory at the C00000-D8FFFF range, normally occupied by images of
the custom chip register set, requires the use of the OVR line, which due
to timing restrictions, is not supported for this purpose.  Thus, this
address range is normally restricted to expansion internal to the machine.

Since the auto-config "daisy-chain" starts at the expansion connector, it
is not possible* to have an internal expansion take part in the normal
auto-config protocol without cutting a trace or two.

(* possible, but too complicated to be worth the effort)

CAN WE AVOID SILLY QUIBBLES ABOUT TERMINOLOGY?

There are several ways to expand your Amiga.  The "insider" type has the
lowest potential cost, and the greatest risk (repeat: void your warranty).
Pass-thru devices are safer, but sometimes fail to work together.  Fully
buffered expansion racks are the ideal and most expensive solution.

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (04/27/87)

in article <1107@tekred.TEK.COM>, joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) says:

> In article <1203@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>>
>> The whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need DIP switches.
>> ..Bob
>
> No, the whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need addmem. The board
> must know where it resides and tell dos where that is at boot time. You
> still need switches to tell the board where it goes. Otherwise it would
> be set at the factory and unchangeable.
>
> Joel Swank
> Tektronix, Redmond, Oregon

No, no, no, no, no.  Bob IS CORRECT.  The whole point of Autoconfig is that
you don't need configuration switches of any kind.  During the
autoconfiguration phase of the system startup, the Amiga attempts to read
memory mapped starting at $E80000.  If any autoconfig boards exist, they'll
have PALs that are mapped as memory in this area.  When such an add-on board
detects its input line called /CONFIGIN is asserted, it will start responding
to the $E80000-$E8FFFF range.  The data the Amiga reads here determines the
amount of normal address or I/O memory the board needs, and if that address
range should be added to the pool of free memory.  If the board requires
memory, the Amiga finds the next chunk of the expansion memory range that
can accomodate that amount of memory, and then tells the board that it's
located there.  The board is now "configured", and it then asserts its
/CONFIGOUT line, which is passed as the /CONFIGIN line to the next board.
The process repeats itself until the Amiga finds no more boards that'll
respond to the $E80000 address.

What confuses some people are the memory ranges starting at $000000 and at
$C00000.  The Amiga's operating system (1.2 OS) will automatically look
for RAM beginning at $000000 (and continuing on for up to 2 megs) and it
will link any memory found there into the ChipMem list.  Similarly, it will
look for RAM beginning at $C00000 (and continuing on up for about 1.75 megs)
and it will link any memory found there into the FastMem list.  This is
done before the autoconfiguration process, and memory found this way is
certainly automatically recognized memory, but not autoconfig memory in the
true sense of the word as applied to Amiga systems.  I'm sure some 3rd
party add-on boards are using the $C00000 area as a cheap way of adding
memory, and while it can be done, the way this memory can be added by a
3rd party company is very critical, and can cause some problems depending
on how they do it.  The extra RAM space in the $000000 section is reserved
for custom chips with a larger address space, the extra RAM space is
intended for Amiga systems that support more than 512K of RAM on the
motherboard, but only support 512K of chip memory.
--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
"The A2000 Guy"                    BIX   : hazy

joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) (04/28/87)

>> No, the whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need addmem.

> Excuse me  Joel,  but  go  read  the  docs.

Sorry, I guess I should know better than to repeat what I hear at a
user group meeting.

> Perry S. Kivolowitz

Joel Swank
Tektronix, Redmond, Oegon

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (02/16/90)

In article <9696@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>  [a whole lotta other stuff, and:]
>Autoconfig memory is memory that supports the Amiga AUTOCONFIG(TM) protocols
>and is automatically recognized and added by the Amiga's expansion.library.

	Well, I just tossed this in because I thought of it when you
said this...  The screen of one of the new Tandy laptop computers, in
the middle of the screen, there's a box labelled "AUTOCONFIG".  This
computer is running DeskMate (TM; surely that's a Tandy trademark).  The
computer is pictured on the back cover of the 1990 catalog.

	So, go get 'em! Sue 'em blind! :-)