[comp.sys.amiga] mail in your warantee cards

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/07/90)

Last night I was reading a note posted by someone "whining" that
the firm making PC-DITTO wouldn't let him buy the newest version
at half price because he missed the cut off by 7 months.
(The particular product is not the issue here).
His view was that he had only neglected to send in his registration.

Seems that only something good can come from registering what you buy.
In this case he lost $150 value by not doing so.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

ajauch@ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (02/08/90)

In article <1269@lzsc.ATT.COM> hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
>Last night I was reading a note posted by someone "whining" that
>the firm making PC-DITTO wouldn't let him buy the newest version
>at half price because he missed the cut off by 7 months.
>(The particular product is not the issue here).
>His view was that he had only neglected to send in his registration.
>
>Seems that only something good can come from registering what you buy.
>In this case he lost $150 value by not doing so.

I think that this is illegal in California.  I do know that you are entitled to
a full warranty under California law whether or not you send in your card.
Updates might be another matter however.

Alex Jauch
ajauch@bonnie

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (02/09/90)

It probably works like this: only registered user of a software package are
entitled to updates. If you do not send in your registration card, you are
not a registered user. Ergo: you don't get an update.

I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with a warranty.

Greetings,
Martin Boening
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber) (02/11/90)

In article <25D074F9.5908@paris.ics.uci.edu> ajauch@ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:
*In article <1269@lzsc.ATT.COM> hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
**the firm making PC-DITTO wouldn't let him buy the newest version
**at half price because he missed the cut off by 7 months.
**His view was that he had only neglected to send in his registration.
**
*I think that this is illegal in California.  I do know that you are entitled to
*a full warranty under California law whether or not you send in your card.
*
*Alex Jauch
*ajauch@bonnie

The issue is not warranty, it is registration of the product in order to obtain
a discount on the purchase of the next generation product.

...walt...

Walt Weber               Hewlett Packard NARC @ Apollo Systems Division
-The views expressed herein are personal, and not binding on ANYONE-
   "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
    by those who have not got it" -George Bernard Shaw

cfj@nosun.UUCP (Charlie Johnson) (02/14/90)

I recently mailed in my registration card for my SE/30 and it got kicked back
with a message stamped on it that the post office box had been closed.  Did
Apple change the address where the registration cards are sent ????

--Charles Johnson
  Intel Scientific Computers
  Beaverton, OR
  cfj@isc.intel.com

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (02/16/90)

>I recently mailed in my registration card for my SE/30 and it got kicked back
>with a message stamped on it that the post office box had been closed.  Did
>Apple change the address where the registration cards are sent ????

Ummmm Apple?!?!?!  SE/30?!?!?!?

Me thinks SOMEONE is a bit lost!!!

Dave (Ain't got no CuisineArt computer) S.