[comp.sys.amiga] Supra 2400 Internal query

schein@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dan Schein - Guest) (02/12/90)

[food for 3rd world line eaters :-]

  I just bought and started to use a Supra internal modem. I like it a lot but
would like to use the "ShowModem" program on the terminal screen and not the
workbench screen (ok maybe both places ;-). My question is has anyone hacked the
executable to do this or have some 'C' code for accessing the Supra in this
fashion?

Sneakers
--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein	                   Here: sneakers@cbmvax
 Guest @ Commodore International Ltd. ____ Home: sneakers%heimat@commodore.com

In article <9635@cbmvax.commodore.com> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein - Guest) writes:
>  I just bought and started to use a Supra internal modem. I like it a lot but
>would like to use the "ShowModem" program on the terminal screen and not the
>workbench screen (ok maybe both places ;-). My question is has anyone hacked the
>executable to do this or have some 'C' code for accessing the Supra in this
>fashion?

When I tested the Supra 2400zi internal modem a year ago, the ShowModem
program would allow it to be displayed on the terminal "custom" screen.
The only problem was that if you exited the terminal program BEFORE killing
ShowModem, the system would crash. Have the supra people turned off this
feature?

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (02/13/90)

In article <9635@cbmvax.commodore.com>, schein@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dan Schein - Guest) writes:
>   I just bought and started to use a Supra internal modem. I like it a lot but
> would like to use the "ShowModem" program on the terminal screen and not the
> workbench screen (ok maybe both places ;-). My question is has anyone hacked the
> executable to do this or have some 'C' code for accessing the Supra in this
> fashion?
>
> Sneakers
> --

ShowModem already does work with custom screens.  The syntax
is:  showmodem -sCustomScreenName.

The custom screen name is the first few chars of the name just
to the right of the close box (not the file name) and is
case sensitive.  I have been bitten by the case sensitivity
feature a bunch of times by asking it to attach to the
"vt100" screen when I should have typed "VT100".

For showmodem to find the custom screen, the terminal program
must be run first.

Ken
--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

In article <22831@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

> When I tested the Supra 2400zi internal modem a year ago, the ShowModem
> program would allow it to be displayed on the terminal "custom" screen.
> The only problem was that if you exited the terminal program BEFORE killing
> ShowModem, the system would crash. Have the supra people turned off this
> feature?

I guess they must have turned off the crash feature.  When I closed
my terminal program before showmodem then my system didn't crash.
But all of the ShowModem window went away except for the little
blinking orange "lights."  It took me several minutes before I
figured out what those strange orange squares meant.

On the other hand, the feature of attaching showmodem to a custom
screen was left in.

Ken
--

schein@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dan Schein - Guest) (02/15/90)

#
#The custom screen name is the first few chars of the name just
#to the right of the close box (not the file name) and is
#case sensitive.  I have been bitten by the case sensitivity
#feature a bunch of times by asking it to attach to the
#"vt100" screen when I should have typed "VT100".

  Your correct! I read the doxs (if thats what you call the xtra piece of
  paper) and that trick wasn't on there. Now if all terminal programs would
  only display their title.....

In Message <22831@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

#When I tested the Supra 2400zi internal modem a year ago, the ShowModem
#program would allow it to be displayed on the terminal "custom" screen.
#The only problem was that if you exited the terminal program BEFORE killing
#ShowModem, the system would crash. Have the supra people turned off this
#feature?

  Im happy to report that when I tried the abovk trick (with VT100) ShowModem
  did not crash if it was left open when closing the terminal program. A note
  though, if you start ShowModem via the CLI and don't use the RUN command -
  it does not free the CLI after closing.

  Sneakers

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein	                   Here: sneakers@cbmvax
 Guest @ Commodore International Ltd. ____ Home: sneakers%heimat@commodore.com
                                     / / /
                                    / / /  Quote: Those who work the hardest
       BERKS AMIGA BBS      ____   / / /          are the last to surrender.
    24 Hrs - 12/2400 Baud   \ \ \ / / /
   100 Megs - 215/372-4553   \ \ \ / /     Gary Ward (Oklahoma State baseball)

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (02/16/90)

In article <9635@cbmvax.commodore.com: schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein - Guest) writes:
:  I just bought and started to use a Supra internal modem. I like it a lot but
:would like to use the "ShowModem" program on the terminal screen and not the
:workbench screen (ok maybe both places ;-). My question is has anyone hacked the
:executable to do this or have some 'C' code for accessing the Supra in this
:fashion?

	I found out what to do... Amazing how those guys anticipate me!
There's a entry in the Tool Types gadget for the icon with a place for
you to enter the screen name. Put in the name of the screen you want ShowModem
to appear on, and like magic it happens! I don't think there's a command
line equivalent.

:Sneakers

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes