[comp.sys.amiga] HP Deskjet Plus rebate offer

"kosma@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (02/13/90)

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 09:59 PST
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com>
Subject: HP Deskjet Plus rebate offer
To: "Eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@Kahuna

    I've noticed that HP is having a $150 rebate offer on HP Deskjet Plus
    printers and was wondering if anyone could recommend it to me or
    discourage me from it.  I want to get Laser quality in my DTP newsletter
	(rest deleted)
Can you send more info on the rebate offer?  If it's widely available
I'll go buy the printer today!

monty
kosma@alan.decnet.lockheed.com

jon@sun.acs.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch) (02/14/90)

In article <10994@baldrick.udel.EDU> "kosma@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com writes:
>    I've noticed that HP is having a $150 rebate offer on HP Deskjet Plus
>    printers and was wondering if anyone could recommend it to me or
>    discourage me from it.  I want to get Laser quality in my DTP newsletter
>	(rest deleted)
>Can you send more info on the rebate offer?  If it's widely available
>I'll go buy the printer today!
>
>monty
>kosma@alan.decnet.lockheed.com

After this rebate, how much will this beast cost?  Can any info on the rebate
be posted?
thanx
---------------------------------------------------------\
---------------------------------------------------------/

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (02/15/90)

From article <10994@baldrick.udel.EDU>, by "kosma@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com:

>     I've noticed that HP is having a $150 rebate offer on HP Deskjet Plus
>     printers and was wondering if anyone could recommend it to me or
>     discourage me from it.  I want to get Laser quality in my DTP newsletter
> 	(rest deleted)
> Can you send more info on the rebate offer?  If it's widely available
> I'll go buy the printer today!
>
> monty
> kosma@alan.decnet.lockheed.com

The offer is good at authorized Hewlett-Packard dealers only--most mail
order sources don't qualify.  It is good until 30 June 1990.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (02/15/90)

From article <7824@sun.acs.udel.edu>, by jon@sun.acs.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch):

> After this rebate, how much will this beast cost?  Can any info on the rebate
> be posted?
> thanx

The local HP dealer wants $600 after the rebate.  The rebate is good only
for DeskJet Plus printers purchased from authorized Hewlett-Packard
dealers.  The offer expires on 30 June 1990.  Since you can get the printer
from mail order sources for as little as $650 (plus, say, 2% for shipping)
the rebate isn't a great deal, at least in St. Petersburg where the sales
tax is 7%.  That brings the local price--after the rebate--to $652.  If you
live somewhere with a less oppressive tax structure a local dealer might be
a worthwhile way to buy.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (02/16/90)

Chris,

>< The only problem I have with it is that the ink is water soluble, so I
>< wouldn't recommend it for printing mailing labels!

>but (barring taking an unprotected paper out in the rain) I have never
>had to worry about it.  Is the ink in the Deskjet so much more
>sensitive to water?

No DeskJet ink is no worse than a felt tip when it comes to water.
I use both a DeskJet and felt tip (Pilot Razor Point) to address
letters, and have had not problems.

I would be VERY cautious putting mailing lables in the machine. They may
jam the works, and cause damage to the device.

3M makes some labels that may work, since they are specifically made for
use in copiers and laser printers.

For piece-meal addressing of businness size envelopes though you can just
stick one in the printer and press the right buttons and print directly on
the envelope. I've done it a few times and had no problems either printing
the addesses or after the item was mailed.

>I have been seriously considering a Deskjet, but this problem concerns
>me.

Go for it -- it's a nice machine. I would opt fot the DeskJet Plus if you
can swing the extra cash.

DISCLAIMER -- I do NOT work for the part of HP that makes the DeskJet.
              I can not make recommendations as to it's usefulness outside
              of the things I use mine for.
              I get nothing from anyone for telling you how much I like the
              DeskJet.

Dave S.

perley@trub.crd.ge.com (Donald P Perley) (02/16/90)

In article <844@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
>From article <7824@sun.acs.udel.edu>, by jon@sun.acs.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch):
>>
>> After this rebate, how much will this beast cost?  Can any info on the rebate
>> be posted?
>> thanx
>
>The local HP dealer wants $600 after the rebate.  The rebate is good only
>for DeskJet Plus printers purchased from authorized Hewlett-Packard
>dealers.

Doesn't this belong in the hardware group?  Oh, gee.. my first "wrong group"
flame ever.  (followups directed there)

A couple of questions:

How do you tell of a dealer is authorized?  Just asking may not be sufficient
if you recall the Montgomery Grant adds touting full warrantee on the amigas
they sell (which is a lie according to commodore's mail policy).

Is anyone out there who is familiar with the HP printer and the Cannon
bubblejet who could comment on relative print quality, cost/page on the
ink,  etc?

The bubblejet has a wide carraige (at least 14 inch), which I don't
think the HP does, but I'm not sure.

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com

bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) (02/16/90)

From article <844@jc3b21.UUCP>, by fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe):

> The local HP dealer wants $600 after the rebate...

If you can come that close to the mail order price then I'd definitely
go with the local dealer just for the service.  The vast majority of H-P
dealers are professionals (unlike dealers for a certain other company
which shall remain nameless).  While the DeskJet is an outstanding
printer (I own one), they _do_ occasionally break.

Which brings up my next point.  Original DeskJet (not DeskJet Plus)
owners) out there who may be having trouble with limited cartridge life
can get a _FREE_ upgrade kit from H-P's Corvallis service center.  The
kit takes about ten minutes to install, and involves replacing the pen
cap sled.  The original design tends to clog, resulting in severely
limited cartridge life.  If you're having this problem, call your local
dealer for more information, or the service center at (503) 757-2002.

--
Jon R. Bryan	<=>	bryan@intvax.UUCP
Sandia National Laboratories