[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore's multimedia software

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (02/03/90)

This package has been mentioned in AmigaWorld and Byte.  Anybody
actually used it... in any state?  How soon might we see this?
What will it be called?  Commodore Authoring System?  Will it be
bundled with a system and sold as a Multimedia system?

Comparisons with other multimedia software (i.e. Director, CanDo,
UltraCard, Interactor and any others...).

Please send any information you might have picked up...

rumors labeled as such are ok also :-)

As I biology instructor there were several projects I had in mind
when I got UltraCard ( :-( ).  I could really use a STABLE
multimedia system! in a teaching environment.

In article <2234@uwm.edu> duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
>As I biology instructor there were several projects I had in mind
>when I got UltraCard ( :-( ).  I could really use a STABLE
>multimedia system! in a teaching environment.

	I REALLY love CanDo. It is very flexible and easy to use, and
yet also very flexible. The catch is that it is slow on a 68000 and
can push the 1 MB limit. If you haven't seen it I DEFINITELY recommend
taking a look.
	-- Ethan

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne C Knapp) (02/03/90)

In article <2234@uwm.edu>, duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:

> This package has been mentioned in AmigaWorld and Byte.  Anybody
> actually used it... in any state?  How soon might we see this?
> What will it be called?  Commodore Authoring System?  Will it be
> bundled with a system and sold as a Multimedia system?

I'm afraid I can't say very much without getting into trouble.  But I
will say from what I've seen and heard it is very real and very well done.
I know someone who is actually running it and he thinks it will beat HyperCard
on the Mac.   I don't know myself but maybe I'll get a chance to run it in
the next week or so.  So far I've only seen a manual while the ohter guy
was looking it over in the car while I was driving.   I have no idea what
Commodore's marking plans are nor even if I find out I won't share them
unless it has been released by Commodore.  This looks like something that
will really be a plus for the Amiga in the future and may be well worth
the wait.
                                            Wayne Knapp

In article <5529@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne C Knapp) writes:
>I'm afraid I can't say very much without getting into trouble.  But I
>will say from what I've seen and heard it is very real and very well done.
>I know someone who is actually running it and he thinks it will beat HyperCard
>on the Mac.

	IMHO CanDo already beats HyperCard, and CanDo is only in its
first release. So the question is not whether CBM's is better than
hypercard but whether it is better than CanDo.
	-- Ethan

Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) (02/16/90)

Have you looked a VIVA! yet???

Jim Priestle - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!Jim.Priestle
ARPA: Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org
-------------------------------------------------|
>       //     Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway         |
>    \ //    Dayton, Ohio  (513)-252-7681        |
>     X/               1:110/300                 |
-------------------------------------------------|

stefan@hercule.cs.concordia.ca (BUCHHOLZ stefan) (02/17/90)

I have heard very few comments about CANDO, and what it "can do", so let me
enlighten people.

CANDO blows VIVA! out of the water on all levels.  Actually, it blows hypercard
for the MAC away also, not just because of its features, but because it runs
on a multitasking OS which features exceptional color and sound.  We have
presently installed at Concordia 13 well-stacked Amiga's and each has a CANDO
driven interface. (It's a multimedia lab).

NO JOKE: I think that CANDO will sell as well as DPaint II did.  It's solid
at V1.0, has a beautiful interface, and is relatively inexpensive.

FEATURES:
			-Very intuitive interface.
			-Has a real-time debugger.
			-Well layed out help screens.
			-Multitasks nicely ( >2meg req.).
			-supports animbrushes.
			-very precise timing.
			-...

I just realized that I could NEVER finish that list.  You really have to see
this package no matter what your background, it is revolutionizing the way
people deal with computers.  The best part is that you can COMPILE the programs
that you write and distribute them freely ( even sell them).  Mark my words:
CANDO is to the Amiga, what hypercard is to the MAC.  Only difference is the
OS on which they run on ;^).

From where I see it, we have VIVA!, interactor, and CANDO, and CANDO covers
all areas very nicely.  Oh yes, the manual: Truly proffesional.  Obviously,
the other two packages have a niche, but have serious downfalls.  Viva! being
sheer speed (syncronization) and AREXX, interactor is very young and the
documentation is a real joke.  I would like to hear from users of all these
hypermedia softs. Don't you dare flame me, I speak only from experience.

						Merry Xmas!

				Stefy LePew, MITE Avista System Support.
this