[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore Marketing

admiral@m-5.Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) (02/13/90)

I can't believe the way Commodore does buisness! I just got this excerpt
of MIS magazine off the hypermedia alias for amigas: (thks Richard )

from InformationWeek magazine
("The newsmagazine for information management"),
Feb. 5, '90, p.38,
article: "The Media is the Message"

subtitled: "MIS (management information systems) finds
            the key to better presentations"

    :
    :
   "Because of the graphics strength of the Macintosh, Apple
Computer Inc. has a headstart in the fledgling multimedia
market, while IBM and others play catch-up.  Perhaps best-suited
to lead from a technology perspective, however, is Commodore
Business Machines Inc. of West Chester, Pa.
   "Commodore already has several years' experience in
multimedia, and the multitasking and video capabilities of its
Amiga PC make it a unique and low-cost multimedia tool.  The
Amiga has made significant inroads into the broadcast, video
post-production, and music industries.  With its architecture and
audio/video I/O setup, the machine has proved ideal for handling
music and video, when those media come together.
   "In terms of corporate users, however, Commodore is in a weak
marketing position; its traditional market has been the consumer
market.  In fact, says David Archambault, director of business
marketing for Commodore, the company has no plans to increase its
sales efforts to corporate MIS. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

   "So the mantle of multimedia leadership in the corporate world
rests on Apple..."

The opportunity for inroads in the corparate world falls in their lap
and they ingnore it. This is a big chance to make some MAJOR BIG BUCKS,
pull in more market share and get the Amiga name into more places.

I can just see in two or three years when Apple owns the "multimedia"
market we can say "But we could two that two years ago and did it with
multitasking and ....."

Sound familiar???

- Mick

"I think there's a world market for about 5 computers."
        - Thomas J. Watson, Chairman of the Board, IBM (around 1948)

uucp: {anywhere}!sun!admiral

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (02/17/90)

In article <131723@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> admiral@m-5.Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) writes:
>I can't believe the way Commodore does buisness! I just got this excerpt
>of MIS magazine off the hypermedia alias for amigas: (thks Richard )

[ ...stuff deleted... ]
>   "In terms of corporate users, however, Commodore is in a weak
>marketing position; its traditional market has been the consumer
>market.  In fact, says David Archambault, director of business
>marketing for Commodore, the company has no plans to increase its
>sales efforts to corporate MIS. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>AAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
>
>   "So the mantle of multimedia leadership in the corporate world
>rests on Apple..."
>

>The opportunity for inroads in the corparate world falls in their lap
>and they ingnore it. This is a big chance to make some MAJOR BIG BUCKS,
>pull in more market share and get the Amiga name into more places.

Just to play devil's advocate, those "MAJOR BIG BUCKS" are by no means
just laying around waiting for Commodore to swoop in and scoop 'em up.
Apple has spent considerable time and sums of money convincing corporate
check-signers that Macs were viable PeeCee alternatives.  Many still
aren't convinced.  And I doubt Apple's inroads make it any easier for
Commodore to follow (i.e.: instead of IBM and "other", it's now IBM, Apple
and "other").

My impression is that Commodore is moving in the right direction, with
its Unix/A2500/A3000 (whatever that will be) efforts.  But I'm not sure
I want them to emulate Apple's business plan.  Would you be happy if
Commodore abandoned the home market to chase the big corporate dollar,
as Apple effectively has?

[Disclaimer: I don't own an Amiga, but maybe someday I'd like to.  Whether
or not I want to own a Mac is moot, since I can't afford the ones worth
owning.]
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.