[comp.sys.amiga] Hooking up a third drive...how?

In <14015@s.ms.uky.edu>, phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>In article <22123@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:
>>     How do you hook a third drive up to an Amiga 500?
>>Isn't there a way to link from drive to drive to computer? If so,
>>do I have to reorganize my startup-sequence? Any help?
>      Your external drive df1: should have a DB23 port to which you
>may hook another drive, which would be df2:. You don't have to reorganize
>your startup-sequence, unless, of course, you wish to addbuffers to df2:...

Should work fine, provided the 12 Volts is passed through on one or both ot his
drives, and that he doesn't overload his power supply with the additional,
unsupported drive.

-larry

--
  This life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life,
  you would have been told where to go and what to do.

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (02/06/90)

     How do you hook a third drive up to an Amiga 500? I have all of
my ports filled with DigiView hardware, a modem line and my second drive
cable. Isn't there a way to link from drive to drive to computer? If so,
do I have to reorganize my startup-sequence? Any help?

-Steve M. Suhy

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (02/06/90)

In article <22123@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:
>     How do you hook a third drive up to an Amiga 500?
>Isn't there a way to link from drive to drive to computer? If so,
>do I have to reorganize my startup-sequence? Any help?
      Your external drive df1: should have a DB23 port to which you
may hook another drive, which would be df2:. You don't have to reorganize
your startup-sequence, unless, of course, you wish to addbuffers to df2:...
                                                   - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (02/06/90)

In article <14015@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>In article <22123@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:
>>     How do you hook a third drive up to an Amiga 500?
>      Your external drive df1: should have a DB23 port to which you
>may hook another drive, which would be df2:.

Ack....
Don't do this without another power supply.
Don't do this without another power supply!!!!
<P-P-P-_PLEASE!>
You run the *extreme* risk of doing damage to your 500.  I don't think that
this is true of the 2000.

David Navas
navas@cory.berkeley.edu

IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) (02/06/90)

In articel <22123@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu
           (John C. Fossum) writes:

>     How do you hook a third drive up to an Amiga 500? I have all of
>my ports filled with DigiView hardware, a modem line and my second drive
>cable. Isn't there a way to link from drive to drive to computer? If so,
>do I have to reorganize my startup-sequence? Any help?

Hmmm, you mean you have a external disk drive with no pass-through?
What brand?  You should have no trouble adding another drive.  Just
buy one that has a pass through (the A1010 does and so do most others)
and plug the 1010 or whatever brand you purchace and plug your existing
drive into that one.  The drive will be mounted automagicly and you
don't have to do a thing.  I think I may have just mis-read your
meaning about your external drive because I have never heard of an
Amiga drive with no pass-through.  Oh well, hope this helps!

Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>

In <22152@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:
>In article <90036.235819IMS103@PSUVM.BITNET>, IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) writes:
>> In articel <22123@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>>            (John C. Fossum) writes:
>>
>> >     How do you hook a third drive up to an Amiga 500? I have all of
>>
>> Hmmm, you mean you have a external disk drive with no pass-through?
>> What brand?  You should have no trouble adding another drive.  Just
>> buy one that has a pass through (the A1010 does and so do most others)
>> and plug the 1010 or whatever brand you purchace and plug your existing
>>
>> Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>
>
>     I tried this. I have two A1010 drives. I thought they would daisy
>chain with no problem. I go into DPaint ]I[ and there is no recognition
>of a third drive.

DPaint III doesn't even have any recognition of the current directory,
requiring you to go through hoops to get where you already are. It would
surprise me to no end if they ever come out with a decent file requester.

> I doesn't even access when I cold boot! Do I need
>more power? As in power supply?

Not necessarily more power, but perhaps just power. Not all external drives
pass the 12 volts through to the next in line. You could try swapping the order
of the two external drives to see if the other one passes the 12 volts. You
could try adding the power passthrough yourself. If you go for any of these,
you can then see if you have enouh power. Sometimes you will, sometimes you
won't, it depends entirely on the power supply and A500 _you_ have.  The best
all around is to power the drive externally.

-larry

--
  This life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life,
  you would have been told where to go and what to do.

dvp@crg3.UUCP (Dan Vander Ploeg) (02/07/90)

Other responses have explained the mechanics of a three drive hookup.
As for the danger of damaging your computer, the main danger is to your
power supply, and that's less than $100 to replace.

According to the estimable Chuck McManis,

> "What is the worse that could happen if I tried this to see if it
> will work?" Then the answer is a simple, the system won't boot in
> the worst case, and will crash more frequently in the common case,
> and will run fine in the exceptional case.

I have heard from half a dozen persons who have added a third drive
without problem, and my system is working fine with three drives (so
far--it's only been two weeks).  I had no reports of trouble.  But:

> C/A may have (I believe they do) several suppliers for power supplies,
> and there are variations within the same power supply manufacturer's
> units. So if you find that your system will handle it, you can't
> generalize that to another system.

You're more likely to have trouble if one of your external drives is an
old A1010.  Some machines won't boot with an A1010 as DF1, but will if
it is moved to DF2.  And, of course, you're more likely to smoke your
power supply then if you use two late-model drives.

For a little insurance, I took apart my power supply (four #1 Phillips
screws in wells on the bottom), blew out the dust, inspected and
reassembled.  Then I built a wooden platform to give it more clearance
underneath for air circulation.  Probably a waste of time, it didn't
run hot before and it doesn't run hot now.

When buying a drive, look for a connector that passes the power and
a switch to take the drive out of the circuit without taking off the
cable.

                   ****** WARNING ******

And as the mighty wizards were careful to tell me:  nobody promises
that this will work.  If you destroy your computer, it comes out
of your pocket.

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (02/07/90)

In article <90036.235819IMS103@PSUVM.BITNET>, IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) writes:
> In articel <22123@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>            (John C. Fossum) writes:
>
> >     How do you hook a third drive up to an Amiga 500? I have all of
>
> Hmmm, you mean you have a external disk drive with no pass-through?
> What brand?  You should have no trouble adding another drive.  Just
> buy one that has a pass through (the A1010 does and so do most others)
> and plug the 1010 or whatever brand you purchace and plug your existing
>
> Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>

     I tried this. I have two A1010 drives. I thought they would daisy
chain with no problem. I go into DPaint ]I[ and there is no recognition
of a third drive. I doesn't even access when I cold boot! Do I need

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (02/08/90)

In article <22152@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:
> In article <90036.235819IMS103@PSUVM.BITNET>, IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) writes:
>> In articel <22123@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>>            (John C. Fossum) writes:
>>
>> >     How do you hook a third drive up to an Amiga 500? I have all of
>>
>> Hmmm, you mean you have a external disk drive with no pass-through?
>> What brand?  You should have no trouble adding another drive.  Just
>> buy one that has a pass through (the A1010 does and so do most others)
>> and plug the 1010 or whatever brand you purchace and plug your existing
>>
>> Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>
>
>      I tried this. I have two A1010 drives. I thought they would daisy
> chain with no problem. I go into DPaint ]I[ and there is no recognition
> of a third drive. I doesn't even access when I cold boot! Do I need
> more power? As in power supply?

	The 1010 drive I looked at did not have the 12 volt supply line
passed through.  All the other connections were there.  Probably better get an
external 12 volt supply and add to the 2nd external drive if you have a 500.
I am running two externals (home build) using the internal supply of the 1000
with no problems.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (02/11/90)

[lazy today]

I run an A1000 with an A1010 and a CA-880 drive.  No problems.  I have
the A1010 hooked to the CA-880 because it has a longer cord.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

bchivers@smiley.uucp (Brent Chivers) (02/17/90)

In article <26805@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:

_>_I run an A1000 with an A1010 and a CA-880 drive.  No problems.  I have
_>_the A1010 hooked to the CA-880 because it has a longer cord.

Please be aware that the A1000 power supply
has a lot more reserve than the A500's.
email:  bchivers@mitre.org                    (703) 883-6734 or 883-7200
snail:  B D Chivers, MITRE, MS Z645, 7525 Colshire Dr, McLean, VA  22102