[comp.sys.amiga] Kermit

uh2@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP (01/30/87)

Well, I never got CMS Kermit and VT100 2.3 to do their dance.  But
2.4 came from Fish (Thanks Fred!!) today and it works fine.

I knew you were all dying to hear.

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (W. Reed) (12/06/88)

 Drool@cup.portal.com (Paul James Coene) writes:
>In some recent article, Lawrence H. Brown said:
><I am using kermit to transfer the file, binary mode,
><directly between the amiga and the sun.
>Well Lawrence, I have the same problem while an associate of mine has had
>no problems.  I see that you and I both used kermit, this may be the problem.  I
>don't think my associate used kermit.  Try another protocol, although I'd
>hate to think kermit untrustable.
Hmm.  I've used kermit for years with my Amy.  Works with Unix Kermit 4E(67)
and CMS kermit.  The amiga kermits I use are Kermit and VT100 2.8.

The biggest problem I've seen is that people don't set the file type
ON BOTH SIDES!  Check parity too.  You have got to set binary (image) on both
the unix and amiga ends.  I don't know if this is your problem, but when a
fellow amigan asks why kermit doesn't work, this is usually the problem.

On UNIX, I always use binary for text files too.  The amiga has the same
text file format as unix.

Hope this helps.

Walt

bard@jessica.Stanford.EDU (David Hopper) (02/13/90)

Does anyone know where I can find C-Kermit?  I am currently using XPRKermit
version 1.5 on VLT v4.428, and it doesn't seem to work well enough for me.

My problem is this:  I am trying to get files from the ULTRIX machine on
campus to my Ami at home.  When I receive the file, it is invariably larger
on my disk than on the mainframe.  I suspect that the extra goo in the file
is line noise; XPRKermit's best error-checking cannot weed this out, however.

The author suggests in the documentation that C-Kermit has much better error-
checking capacities than XPRKermit.  If anyone could comment on this, please
do.

Finally, if anyone could 1) tell me what I may be doing wrong, or 2) point me
to C-Kermit, I will name my next yacht after you.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Hopper    	        ///  Yesterday, CS.	      | bard@jessica
		       ///    Today, Anthro/History.  |     .Stanford.EDU
		   \\\///			      |
		    \XX/ Tomorrow... URBAN TERRORISM! | (Mel Blanc lives!)

moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) (02/14/90)

In article <9140@portia.Stanford.EDU> bard@jessica.Stanford.EDU (David Hopper) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can find C-Kermit?  I am currently using XPRKermit
>version 1.5 on VLT v4.428, and it doesn't seem to work well enough for me.
>
>My problem is this:  I am trying to get files from the ULTRIX machine on
>campus to my Ami at home.  When I receive the file, it is invariably larger
>on my disk than on the mainframe.  I suspect that the extra goo in the file
>is line noise; XPRKermit's best error-checking cannot weed this out, however.

	Are you by any chance transferring binary files without making
sure that both the sending and receiving kermits are AWARE that the
file being sent is binary (and not text)?  This makes a BIG difference
with kermit.  On my current version of VLT (the version number of
which I don't have handy right now) one must set the "image" option
and unset the "text" and "convert" options in order to correctly
transfer a binary file.  On the campus mainframe, I must invoke
kermit with the "-i" option, i.e., "kermit -i".  I suppose that this
lets the mainframe's kermit know that I want the transfer to be
in "image" mode, which (I think) boils down to what is needed for a
transfer of a binary file.

	On the other hand, maybe you have line noise ;-)

	Richard

lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) (02/15/90)

In article <9140@portia.Stanford.EDU> bard@jessica.Stanford.EDU (David Hopper) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can find C-Kermit?  I am currently using XPRKermit
>version 1.5 on VLT v4.428, and it doesn't seem to work well enough for me.
n>
>My problem is this:  I am trying to get files from the ULTRIX machine on
>campus to my Ami at home.  When I receive the file, it is invariably larger
>on my disk than on the mainframe.  I suspect that the extra goo in the file
>is line noise; XPRKermit's best error-checking cannot weed this out, however.

I suspect that your problem is really quite simple, and NOT a line-noise
problem.  When sending files from Ultrix Kermit (I assume this is Columbia
C-Kermit) to the Amiga, you must generally set the file type to binary first.

So, invoke kermit on the Ultrix end like this:

$ kermit

C-Kermit blerb goes here

C-Kermit>  set file type binary

C-Kermit> server

and take it from there.  Make sure you set the Amiga end to binary too.
If you still need the C-K source code, I have an old semi-portable version,
but you can probably FTP it from CS.COLUMBIA.EDU or CUNIXC.COLUMBIA.EDU.

>Thanks in advance,
>

>Dave Hopper    	        ///  Yesterday, CS.	      | bard@jessica
>		       ///    Today, Anthro/History.  |     .Stanford.EDU
>		   \\\///			      |
>		    \XX/ Tomorrow... URBAN TERRORISM! | (Mel Blanc lives!)

How 'bout just GIVING me the yacht?

*Thor Simon              * (Oh no! I don't have an Internet address anymore!) *
*Formerly simon@         * Now I am: lancelot@spock.uucp                      *
*cs.columbia.edu         *       or: uunet!hsi!yale!spock!lancelot            *
*              You just can't kill for Jesus.   --James Taylor                *

mpalumbo@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Michael Palumbo) (02/17/90)

In article <9140@portia.Stanford.EDU> bard@jessica.Stanford.EDU (David Hopper) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can find C-Kermit?  I am currently using XPRKermit
>version 1.5 on VLT v4.428, and it doesn't seem to work well enough for me.

I am having a problem also with kermit transfers.  If I make the packet size
100 ish I am usually ok.  The larger packets usually do not download correctly.

Does anyone know of a kermit file transfer for the amiga that uses the CRC as
an error checking mode.  I believe this may help.

For large packets checksums dont work very well in detecting a bad
transmission.

thankx in advance.

mike palumbo

Michael Palumbo				Bell Aerospace TEXTRON
internet:mpalumbo@cs.buffalo.edu	bitnet:	mpalumbo@sunybcs.BITNET
csnet:   mpalumbo@buffalo.csnet
uucp:	..!{boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!mpalumbo